Royal Rumble ‘24 (Bossman’s Year)

Dr. Alan Grant

8 minutes ago, Loki said:

Seeing The Bossman joke still going, after over 20 years and on a different forum, bring a tear to my eye....

I think there’s only three of us left who know the origin. 

6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Is there a surprise thread this year? Kinda obvious choices but I'd say X-Pac and/or Ken Shamrock. The former says no chance but yeah, this is wrestling..

Shamrock would have been my pick, and in the women's Rumble Naomi seems inevitable. I'd love to see Sasha Banks return, and if she does, I imagine it'll be in this match. 

Is Bo Dallas still contracted to WWE? I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up and pay some sort of tribute to Bray Wyatt during the match; performing the Sister Abigail or something.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

Public service announcement. As we get closer to the Rumble and smart money starts coming in on betting sites, can we make sure to put any wild swings in spoiler tags?

I think it was Randy Orton in 2017 where everyone in that company threw their entire downside guarantee at Paddy Power in the final few days, making it the most obvious result of all time.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I think it was Randy Orton in 2017 where everyone in that company threw their entire downside guarantee at Paddy Power in the final few days, making it the most obvious result of all time.

Not only that, but it felt like such an "out of nowhere" (pun intended) result, that it was ONLY the betting that made it obvious. The mirror opposite to, say, a Steve Austin in 98 where the TV spelled it out, nothing on the show made you suspect that Orton in a World title match was on the cards. If anything we were all convinced either "Roman again, yawn" or Brock or Goldberg with the other winning a world title in the interim.

Unfortunately Orton's win also ruined Bray winning the belt in the Chamber as we all guessed at the Family split and thus them fighting at Mania, because there was no story for him fighting Cena or AJ, in a shades of 2010 situation where the Rumble winner gave away a future title change so that the match they wanted could happen.

If Sasha comes back, presumably she’s coming back as Sasha Banks and not Mercedes Mone. Didn’t she trademark that name last year? Similarly with Matt Cardona, he hasn’t been Zack Ryder for years. The majority of the audience probably only know him under that name, but I’m sure I’ve seen a post of his on Twitter saying something along the lines of “Zack Ryder is dead”.

My ideal surprise would be Shamrock, as someone already mentioned. Then get Steve Blackman in just after him and the two of them can clear house, win the thing and co-main event Mania. Nobody is throwing a rubber chicken into the ring at them unless they have a death wish.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't be surprised if Bronn shows up. If they think he's nearing ready for the main roster he'll enter the Rumble like they've done previously with Rusev and similar.

I always fancy The Hurricane to turn up for some reason. They could easily do 30 guys without such faff but it probably wouldn't be as fun.

16 hours ago, Supremo said:

Public service announcement. As we get closer to the Rumble and smart money starts coming in on betting sites, can we make sure to put any wild swings in spoiler tags?

I think it's still Royal Rumble 2002 where Triple H was 6/1 even though he was 100% going to win.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

I think it's still Royal Rumble 2002 where Triple H was 6/1 even though he was 100% going to win.

I used to hate the Rumble because the TV was terrible for giving away the winner. 96 with Shawn was the start - fair enough, thanks to Russo I doubt any soul on the planet gave Stone Cold a chance for his home state win in 97, but excluding the Vince diversion in 99 the winner was bloody obvious five out of the next six years. They did a good job with 2004 with the unpredictable brand hop for the winner because going in even though Benoit had the fighting-the-GM number 1 storyline it was tough to not suspect Angle or rising star John Cena were more likely to challenge (we assumed) Lesnar at Mania, and the strong suspicion amongst me and my mates was Goldberg would win to challenge HHH at Mania (despite early signposts for Goldberg vs Lesnar at Survivor Series). But year after, as soon as HHH vs Orton was announced for the PPVs title match, it was clear Dave was winning the Rumble.

It’s only 20 years later that I wonder… if Benoit stuck it to Heyman by winning despite being forced into the number 1 slot, why he didn’t double down and challenge his champion for Mania? What’s that all aboot?