Royal Rumble ‘24 (Bossman’s Year)

Dr. Alan Grant

• Paid Members

This is getting right down in the depths of things that annoy me but it really did. Why have the entrance way with a big corner in it? You want the person coming in to be able to come through the curtains, point directly at the ring, especially if there is someone in they are feuding with, and charge straight to the ring. On the flip side of that the people in the ring should be able to see the next guy come out and if they are the feuder to the advancing feudee then they should be able to react immediately. Just a minor detail but it did annoy me. 

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

why did they even send Rock out there to tease The Roman match this close to Wrestlemania?

This is the big question.  What WAS that about?  If it was just a flippant off-the-cuff remark it was really, really stupid as it's started this expectation train that as you say has taken the shine of the CodyStoryTM .

It's all part of a larger conspiracy

CyUCtunB-Sq9ghABM0j__8Vw2SOZpkPIyzIkORbU

Obviously a bunch of stuff has happened last minute.  I don't think Meltzer has any more idea than the rest of us, given his No1 source Vince is presumably not picking up the phone right now.  I think Pat was slotted in because Lesnar wasn't coming.  I think Bron was always going to have his spot, but got some extra eliminations due to Lesnar.  I think the No 30 slot was potentially saved for Rocky (or even Stone Cold), who might have bailed due to the Vince scandal so it ended up being "oh yeah, Sammy Zayn".

I also reckon WWE was reaching out to a few other people for some surprise entrants but they couldn't land them, as there were a few other slots that had NO heat or storyline to them - Ricochet being a good example.  I'm sure this happens every year - maybe Tamina would have been on the show if TNA had said no to the cross-promotion.

---

So WWE have opened a door with TNA and also with AJPW and a few rumour about Stardom and NJPW.  2024 and WWE moving forward could be quite interesting if this is a direction they decide to go!  Imagine Tiffany Stratton wrestling Jordynne Grace on a TNA PPV.  Or Moose challenging for the US Title on Smackdown.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Loki said:

This is the big question.  What WAS that about?  If it was just a flippant off-the-cuff remark it was really, really stupid as it's started this expectation train that as you say has taken the shine of the CodyStoryTM .

I'd say that maybe The Rock realised the optics wouldn't be great for him to show up on TV as the scandal was unfolding, but then he's a director of the company now, so it's not as if that's enough to distance himself. Meltzer seems to think the match is still happening, just not at Wrestlemania.

I would hazard a guess that they have The Rock involved in the build or the match somehow; maybe even recycle the same thing from Cena/Miz, of The Rock being the Host Of Wrestlemania. He can then prevent Solo Sikoa from interfering against Cody, or overturn the match when Reigns cheats to win, so you get the big babyface moment of Rock endorsing Cody, and a logical set-up for Reigns to actually want the match. 

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

They’ll have a respectable three-star knockabout that ends with a Solo Sikoa run-in, inexplicably hiding his face with his hoodie when it’s always, always him.

As Michael Cole likes to remind us every 3 minutes, these multi man matches are no DQ anyway, so him jumping the barricade in a hoodie makes even less sense. I’d be curious to know how many of Roman’s defences since he first won 3 years ago have ended with Bloodline interference. I’d like to see a Cody/Roman contract signing where Cody or Adam Pearce has snuck in a stipulation that bans outside interference or Roman loses the belt.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I’d like to see a Cody/Roman contract signing where Cody or Adam Pearce has snuck in a stipulation that bans outside interference or Roman loses the belt

Any extra stipulation like that devalues a babyface win. It signals to the crowd that the babyface needs extra help to win. What better way to FINISH THE STORY than for the pure white meat babyface to overcome all the odds and win the belt on the grandest stage of them all. There can be an absolute dog and pony show in the match, but the ending has to be Cody pinning Roman in the centre of the ring with no kickout. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I’d like to see a Cody/Roman contract signing where Cody or Adam Pearce has snuck in a stipulation that bans outside interference or Roman loses the belt.

I wouldn't want this. Part of this rematch will be seeing what Jimmy and Solo and maybe even Jey and Sami do. There's a story beyond Cody winning the title to be told and potentially concluded and that's Roman and his family and whether they will help him or turn against him. I'm as interested in that as the match itself.

Judging on the rumble we are getting uso vs uso and solo vs Randy.

So I’d have Randy punt kick solo taking him out the equation and jey beating jimmy and taking him out the way and  leaves Cody vs Roman 1v1, plus I’m sick of solo and jimmy interfering now 

• Paid Members

Solo and the Wiseman and both Usos and The Rock and Ava Raine and Rikishi and Afa and Sika and Samoa Joe and Toa Liona and anyone who happens to have the name “Sam Owen” banned from the arena. 

Jacob Fatu in a hoodie interferes, we move on to season 3 of The Story, a Netflix Original Series. Some fans argue that it’s actually a good thing because Cody gets to pull off a history making Rumble hat trick. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

Speaking of betting, I did alright out of the Rumble considering most of my bets were off.

The day before the show, I put a couple of quid on Gunther, The Rock and Becky Lynch to win their respective rumbles, just on the outside chance that they won it and I made some decent money, but then put £20 on Cody at 5/2, so that was a return of £70.

Except I had apparently forgotten that I had placed a bet on Cody to win it back in September, when for some reason he was at 4/1 odds, so that came in at £125. So that was basically free money!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Any extra stipulation like that devalues a babyface win. It signals to the crowd that the babyface needs extra help to win. What better way to FINISH THE STORY than for the pure white meat babyface to overcome all the odds and win the belt on the grandest stage of them all. There can be an absolute dog and pony show in the match, but the ending has to be Cody pinning Roman in the centre of the ring with no kickout. 

Agreed. If anything if it's is Reigns/Cody 2 then I'd expect nothing less than the same if not more amount of shenanigans down the closing stretch so that when the Dusty boy does finish the story, he overcomes all the odds AND THEN SOME to do so. Anything less or any contrived stipulations will leave a question mark in the minds of many (??) fans. Or at least hardcore fans on internet forums. 

Edited by Lenin

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

Now all the dust has settled, why did they even send Rock out there to tease The Roman match this close to Wrestlemania?

5 hours ago, Loki said:

This is the big question.  What WAS that about?

It was a clever scheme targeting this forum specifically, designed to establish those of us who genuinely want Cody to make it on top, and those who need to be banned. It worked.

It was during the futureshock DDT he took from Drew. You could tell as he immediately rolled over to the corner and had several conversations with the referee whilst trying to shake it out.

I reckon if they give him a mic tonight he'll be in absolute pieces.