• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Up until the main event, this was probably one of the weaker episodes of the year. It goes to show what a roll they’re on though that the time still flew by and I’ve got very few complaints.

At least they got the worst stuff out of the way early. Unsurprisingly rough promo from Mercedes. Best I can say about it was that it wasn’t as bad as Saraya’s second week on AEW TV. The cracks are already starting to show though. She’s just not a good promo. It was tough to watch when she started stumbling over her words and getting names mixed up. She has all the star power in the world but stick to pre-tapes and turn her heel as soon as possible.

Don’t even tease turning Willow heel. Don’t you fucking dare.

Kingston vs. Okada didn’t rock my world, not really getting out of second gear, but it was the perfect result and The New Elite remain a fantastic act. I hope they bully Marvez every single week. Okada’s brilliant facials, combined with The Bucks in the truck, titting about, calling for replays and giving him the Cody pyro to celebrate? Chef’s kiss. Triforce of glorious pricks.

Will Ospreay continues to prove me wrong. Not in a million years did I think he’d become someone you could bank on to deliver an effective weekly US-style promo. Lad’s a star.

Quick one on the attendance; another brilliant crowd. I don’t know if it’s them booking smaller buildings, fresher markets, pricing their tickets better or if it’s a consequence of their overall product improvement in 2024. Whatever the cause, I hope they continue what they’re doing because it’s awesome seeing those wides shots of a packed house. I never want to go back to the tight, cramped camera angles, pitch black darkness and forced perspectives.

Between his promo and then the match, does Swerve feel a bit cold to anyone else? Like the moment may have passed now Ultra Superstars like Okada and Ospreay have arrived? Hopefully a wild match with Taleshita next week can re-heat him a bit. I need Swerve to win that belt. Not only for him, but to see Hangman’s reaction if he comes back from suspension and Swerve is World Champion. His head will fall off!

Main event was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Proper smile on your face fun. From the crowd singing Copeland’s song, to the hockey fight in the jerseys, Christian hiding in the women’s toilets, the wild spots, to the hugely cathartic ending. AEW at its best. Two pros hitting a home run. Copeland should think about retiring on that match. I doubt he’ll have a better one. Match of the year contender.

What’s Beth Pheonix’s status? Is she under a WWE legends contract? Not that I particularly want to see any more of the Grit Couple, but it sure felt like a spot waiting to happen when Mother Wayne was screwing things up. I fully expected Beth to jump the rail to a huge pop.

But yeah. Huge stipulation matches delivering exactly what’s promised, where the heel finally gets their comeuppance. No wanky finish, where you try and be clever. The heel just gives up after getting his dick kicked in. Pro-wrestling at its finest.

Between AEW’s turnaround and WWE heading into what feels like one of the biggest, hottest Manias in years?

IMG_7880.jpeg.e28a65cb8d09befc3f167864fb1a4a5c.jpeg

This is them.

Edited by Supremo
For Bacon; Fixing spelling mistakes.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Sure, you get the initial pop for her in the hometown and all that, but everyone knows she's far better as a heel because that character does not lend itself to being believable or likeable. She thinks she's better than everyone else. She's the boss.

Timely reminder that Sasha peaked at TakeOver Brooklyn. Yes, because the match was excellent, but a big part in the match being as good as it was and the build that got us there was one hero and one baddie fully committed to the roles each is better at.

That she never won a Miss Money In The Bank briefcase and then blinged it up, was a massive missed opportunity.

Edited by air_raid
Cause a girl gon push it all out the way

AEW are nailing Okada at the moment. It also makes the Young Bucks gimmick even better. Absolutely belting.

Ospreay just has IT. The crowd love him, his promos are great and he feels big time.

Fantastic Main event. Copeland looks revitalised by this feud and Christian is on the run of his life. Fantastic and I'm glad they finally got a feud befitting them

Okada obviously a fan of the CovidZone era of Raw, because during the ad breaks he pretty much stopped doing anything in the ring.  A glacial pace to his offence generally, which I presume is part of his heel persona, but is uncommon for AEW.  Combined with some Shawn Michael-esque over selling, this was a fairly odd match especially for a title change.  A slightly disappointing end to Eddie's Triple Crown reign but he's better as an underdog so it needed to be done.  Perhaps he'll consider NOT letting his opponents tee off on him uncontested now?  Naah.

Stick Stokeley Hathaway with Mone. Perfect fit and he can talk for her. I've always been impressed at how unlikeable Sasha Banks could make herself by osmosis. Still not seen her weirdo fans online, I must be lucky.

Bit of a let down generally. They didn't explain why everything on the show was happening so I couldn't get into it.

The Fite TV stream cut off before the end of a match again? That's really fucking annoying. I found out after the fact it picked up on their Rampage feed, not that you'd know that from watching this. 

I thought the show was decent, but the number of title belts continues to be a huge problem for me, killing my investment in certain portions of the show. You have four AEW men's singles titles; and then you have the ROH titles on top of that. They're undercutting their own title belts. Christian Cage was a phenomenal TNT champion, and Orange Cassidy did a great job with the International belt. But now that they've lost it? For me, they've gone back to being meaningless trinkets. Perhaps Copeland can do something to change that perception; but it's going to be a challenge for him. They've not really defined what the difference is between the TNT, Continental and International belts, or why someone might choose to go for one over the other. 

If there was only one secondary singles title, it would mean much more. Imagine if Cassidy had had his run with the TNT belt, before dropping it to Luchasaurus or Christian; exhausted after defending it to regularly. Things could play out exactly the same as they did for Christian from there, and Copeland winning this title would mean so much more. 

Drop the trios titles, and the tag division gets stronger. Drop the ROH tag titles from AEW TV, and it's the same story. 

Subtraction would strengthen AEW, in my opinion. Drop some of the title belts, drop some of the TV shows, burn ROH to the ground and cut some of the wrestlers. A main event scene/upper card built around Swerve, Ospreay, MJF, Joe, Christian, Darby, Moxley, Hangman, Takeshita, Okada, Kingston and Jay White feels fresh, deep and exciting. They're so close to having something legendary as opposed to just plain 'good'. I really hope they get there. 

"And right now I am a 30 year old man, I've got two pugs, three cats, a kid, a missus, a mortgage to pay, and more importantly a point to prove." Ospreay is going to be a star. 

I enjoyed the show, though Joe/Swerve doesn’t really feel like a world title feud when  you've got Edge and Okada knocking about with other titles and Ospreay and Mone getting so much attention too. 

The wildest thing about this Will Ospreay AEW run is that the awesomeness of it currently has little to do with his kick-ass, 5 star + matches. In two interviews with Tony Schiavone, he's come across as this likeable but tough and endearing character, full of confidence and a little humour and self-deprecation too. He speaks well and has the crowd in the palm of his hand. And he's got a banging theme song and the cues to hit his chants- the "Ospreay, Ospreay" was infinitely louder than the "CEO" chants that Mercedes seems to almost beg for.

And after Ospreay getting himself to this new level of stardom just by speaking on the mic, he's bound to STILL go and have a bonkers match with Bryan at the PPV.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

In two interviews with Tony Schiavone, he's come across as this likeable but tough and endearing character,

Thank Christ art doesn’t always imitate life.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

The Fite TV stream cut off before the end of a match again? That's really fucking annoying. I found out after the fact it picked up on their Rampage feed, not that you'd know that from watching this. 

I went into the match thinking "I hope they end on a cliffhanger to bridge between Dynamite and Rampage, would be a missed opportunity otherwise". I wasn't expecting it to just abruptly end without even giving the announcers time to tell you to stay tuned. If ever an opportunity arose for a Tony Schiavone "WE'RE OUT OF TIME!"

• Paid Members

I haven't seen any of Okada outside AEW so this legendary status they've given him is a bit confusing to me because he hasn't hugely impressed in-ring. He's working a slow and safe style but I'm not really buying him as this super talent that they are telling me he is. Thankfully the Young Bucks as his dickhead henchmen are doing tremendous work and really making the character stuff sparkle. Brilliant booking really as I think Okada would be pretty lost without them two holding him up. 

After hearing for so long how great Okada is in-ring I'm looking forward to seeing him put on a top performance. Soon hopefully.