• Paid Members
3 hours ago, OzExile said:

In 2024, why isn't Christian going over Adam Copeland? 

Because it's the end of a long feud where the heroic babyface finally gets victory over the dastardly cheating evil heel. 

It's been a fun feud but I'm also excited for the future now that Copeland has closed the Christian chapter and can have a fresh start and really start engaging with the rest of the AEW roster.  

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Supremo said:

Between his promo and then the match, does Swerve feel a bit cold to anyone else?

I woudn't say so. A few months back he seemed like the hottest prospect on the planet and the shine has come off a tiny bit due to Okada, Ospreay etc coming in, but he's still massively over and him winning the title would still be massive.

I sound like a broken record at this point but thought that was another great show. Will Ospreay is just on a different level. From the moment he comes bouncing out of the tunnel, he's just got this infectious enthusiasm to everything he does that you can't help but grin at.

I love him, but I wish Eddie Kingston would tap into his hardcore brawler mode that we see during Stadium Stampede/hardcore matches a lot more. He's been in All-Japan cosplay mode since the Continental Classic started and I find it infinitely less interesting than mad brawler Eddie.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, OzExile said:

In 2024, why isn't Christian going over Adam Copeland? 

He already did. Sometimes it's nice to let the let the good guy win at the end of the feud.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

It's been a fun feud but I'm also excited for the future now that Copeland has closed the Christian chapter and can have a fresh start and really start engaging with the rest of the AEW roster.  

And it opens a new chapter for Christian too. He’s still arguably the hottest heel in wrestling, and taking him away from the TNT titles opens up a world of possibilities for him, in which he plays an even more important role. Samoa Joe is doing a great job as champion, and his natural connection with the crowd would mean a Joe/Christian match or feud would absolutely work; with Christian cheating Swerve out of another title shot somehow.

Or perhaps the Don Callis ‘family’ needs a ‘father’ - and we could transition to Ospreay/Christian? 

What about Moxley/Christian, or Christian inviting Jack Perry back into his mentorship and seeing how that unfolds? How about a mini-feud with Mark Briscoe?

Christian isn’t going anywhere (I hope) and the next chapter in his AEW story has the potential to be loads of fun. I can’t wait to see how he responds to this defeat.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I'd go with an Eddie Kingston vs Christian Cage feud next. Both have just lost their titles so I feel like that could be the genesis of a story between them. Also they are such diametrically opposed characters I think they would really spark. Imagine the promos! 

9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'd go with an Eddie Kingston vs Christian Cage feud next. Both have just lost their titles so I feel like that could be the genesis of a story between them. Also they are such diametrically opposed characters I think they would really spark. Imagine the promos! 

You know, I’d not even considered that - it’s a great idea! Honestly, I’m all in for Christian to take the title from Joe. Joe smacking the shit out of Christian only to lose in dodgy circumstances? Christian vs Kingston with a title on the line? Swerve rising up the ranks again to take the title from the biggest bastard in AEW; with Christian ‘as a father’ drafting in support from a deranged Hangman, referencing the home invasion? The ingredients are there for a sensational title run.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:13 AM, Supremo said:

Between his promo and then the match, does Swerve feel a bit cold to anyone else?

I think it's a problem in general with AEW and the timing of when they pull the trigger with someone.

Hangman won the title after he, and the Kenny feud, had cooled down slightly after Page was off-screen for a while. (was that when he became a father?). Eddie was red hot with both Punk and Mox but they didn't take advantage of it. I felt they took too long to turn MJF to a genuine babyface and by the time they did he was losing the appeal anyway.

The likes of Wardlow, Starks, Garcia and even Orange Cassidy have all been in a position to take a leap up the ladder only to have their momentum stalled. And while Jericho gets his, rightful, share of the blame, there's some to be laid at the feet of AEW/Tony Khan as well. (I'm not saying these should have all won world titles by the way, just that they'll find it difficult to ever get as hot as they once were previously)

And now possibly with Swerve - though the job Joe is doing makes it very hard to change champion. But will Swerve ever be as hot as he was on the back of the double turn with Page?

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Dynamite 20/03/24

Mercedes Mone promo was not good. Got a pass on the debut but should have had something to say here. The delivery was not great but, more importantly, she did not come across as likeable at all. I suppose the Boss (sorry, CEO) character is braggadocious as hell by design, but yeah, I'd turn her heel pretty soon after the debut buzz has died down. 

Loving the presentation of Okada so far. The suit, the cold open getting out of a supercar and of course the excellent entrance he's been perfecting for years. His facial expressions are great too, looking like he loves the smell of his own farts, carrying himself like a superstar. 

The match with Eddie was good but not great. I wasn't as down on it as some, but much like the Danielson matches you know this combination can produce something much better. For Eddie's story I thought it was appropriate that Okada essentially beat him at a canter. That's a perfect Eddie Kingston setback to overcome. He's been playing at being a legendary Japanese heavyweight champion, then got his ass handed to him by a real one. Okada wasn't spectacular but, again, I think he has a great presence and feels like a star regardless. 

I thought the backstage Mone stuff was a bit better. Similar to WWE's presentation teasing Jade Cargill, I think it's always effective just to have your new superstar interact with the key players in the division. She has no problem with Statlander but she doesn't like Willow. That's fine. If she's going to be this ropey doing a ten minute promo on her own then it's fine to create directions and stories for her this way too.

Jericho going to suplex city was fun for a bit, but then he had to have the second half of the match fighting back and teasing the Walls of Jericho, escaping the Redrum and losing to a fluke roll up. The only thing I would have taken to save this stupid direction for Hook would be for him to completely squash Jericho here. Instead he just narrowly beat him, less convincingly than Action Andretti, and less memorably than Takeshita just did using his own finisher. Is narrowly beating Jericho with a flash roll up really of any value to Hook? Jericho will claim it is next time he gets on a podcast I suppose. JERICHO'S PROPOSITION FOR HOOK NEXT WEEK!?!? Yeah that's way better than Hook fighting meatheads every week for the FTW belt. Can't wait. 

If Wardlow doesn't lay out the entire Undisputed Kingdom and powerbomb Cole a dozen times next week he is such a chump. Why the fuck would he let a one legged little skinny man speak to him like that?

Osprey knocked it out of the park once again. Who knew "put Will Osprey on the mic for ten minutes" would be such a reliable segment? Wonderful stuff. Affable, confident, the people love his cheeky Essex boy quippage, hits all the key story points, rebuttals Bryan's last promo, ends on a very serious and impactful note. Killing it. Osprey vs Shibata on Dynamite, yes please. 

Women's tag was fine. Nice to see Thunder Rosa will have a direction coming out of it, she's been treading water for a bit since the return. 

All the Swerve stuff was just holding him over and reminding everyone he's here in the wake of new arrivals and returns. Swerve vs Takeshita sounds wonderful but I don't want either of them to lose it! Joe sounded phenomenal as he always does. 

Adored the main event as I knew I would. I've loved everything they've done in this trilogy of matches. Edge vs Christian being one of my favourite feuds in 2023/24 is quite astonishing. This was so much fun. Some mad spots of course, but everything was milked for all it was worth, and the ending was a testament to just how good Christian Cage is. His comeuppance was prolonged, brutal and perhaps excessive, but by god if any heel has ever done enough to deserve it, it's him. Thought he was hysterical in the closing stretch here. 

Fun episode. The main event was always goiung to be right up my street and it was almost half the show. Okada and Kingston can have a better match but I still enjoyed it and I am a fan of everything they're doing with Okada. Osprey smashed it again, everything else was fine except Mercedes' poor promo. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

Is it too much of a stretch to think the reason Chris Jericho won’t take the hint and fuck off is because he’s trying to work through his AEW contract as soon as possible, in order to make the jump back to WWE? It’s the only thing that makes sense at this point.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Is it too much of a stretch to think the reason Chris Jericho won’t take the hint and fuck off is because he’s trying to work through his AEW contract as soon as possible, in order to make the jump back to WWE? It’s the only thing that makes sense at this point.

He’s on a “number of appearances” deal rather than a “years under contract” one? What a fitting irony that would be, remembering how he couldn’t wrap his head around his Goldberg match at World War 3 getting cancelled because nobody realised Bill was having that one off.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Aging wrestler clinging to his spot because if he disappears off TV he'd be a complete afterthought.

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that before 🤔

ybj7b7be7zqc1.jpeg?width=576&auto=webp&s

The Dynamite Merch Stand last night.  That was the full product line.  Whoever is in charge of their merch division needs to be fired!

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

ybj7b7be7zqc1.jpeg?width=576&auto=webp&s

The Dynamite Merch Stand last night.  That was the full product line.  Whoever is in charge of their merch division needs to be fired!

Terrible, woeful, and it really brought the down the quality of the show.