The Copeland promo wasn't necessary. Khan has demonstrated time and time again that he is incredibly thin-skinned, but I wish he'd just ignore these things; what Punk said wasn't bad to the point it required acknowledging; and besides, Cody Rhodes was very complimentary about AEW and Khan in a separate interview; meaning the defence has already been made. 

The Gunn/White match was baffling, but not surprising. It's not the first time that Gunn has been made to look incredibly strong against a younger opponent in AEW and I'm sure it won't be the last. 

The closing segment was strong, Willow once again showed why she deserves a consistent prominent role on AEW TV and Toni Storm was great value as ever. Having said that, I'm finding AEW a really tough watch right now. It's frequently boring. They've assembled the best roster in the world, but I their typical formula of long matches with predictable outcomes doesn't work for me. It's makes for dull viewing, at least as far as my tastes are concerned. 

• Paid Members

I can't think of, even on paper, a match that for the "fresh alternative" and "where the best wrestlers from the wider wrestling world come together" ideals of AEW, turns me off more than Billy Gunn vs Jay White. A guy 25 years past the peak of his stardom vs a guy who I've never got, and always stood out a bit playing main eventer among the rest in New Japan, which long was my favourite promotion.

When you get to book Joe, Danielson, Okada, Ospreay, Shibata, Takeshita and numerous more genuinely awesome talents, Thunder '98 matches like that are easily avoidable. Wake up, little Tone.

I thought the Trent heel turn was fantastically done as well as Ospreys/Hobbs, as well as setting up two interesting women's matches for Dynasty.

I wish they're lighting was a bit brighter though and much agree that I don't need to see a Billy Gunn match on Dynamite, and I like him a lot.

Edited by Chili
I got my post all over the valance

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I get why, if TK felt he had to have someone say something, it was Edge who did the opening promo. He's one of THE most WWE guys in the world, and he's saying all that good stuff?

Is that not the point? You've got Punk out there suggesting they are not in the same league so you respond with a guy who is the antithesis of WWE who'd know? I think it's tragically small-time but you know they're going to rebut it, they've been as bad as TNA for this stuff.

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Fuck all the way off with the Jack Perry references though. Matt shouting, “yo Scapegoat, love your work,” during the entrance and then telling Sue, “cry me a river.” Everyone. I’m begging you. Please move on from this. I fear it’ll be the year 2045 and everyone will still be referencing Brawl Out and Brawl In. Get over it!

I actually thought that was the best way to address it all. Matt and Nick being absolute wankers and making those digs. Far more of an FU to Punk than the Copeland promo. Loving their new gimmick to be honest. 

Fair enough show. As I said last week, it feels that they're treading water a bit with 'Mania coming up. I expect the run to DYNASTY to kick up soon. 

I still think Khan needs to run smaller venues. Make AEW crowds rabid again and then do the big PPVs. A hot crowd really elevates AEW

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure they're gonna turn Willow heel on Mercedes, with TK thinking he needs to have his big, very expensive signing be the face of the women's division on TV, both figurative and literal. 

Not saying its the right decision at all because its absolutely not, but the way they're booking some aspects at the moment it's like Stokely turning her over to the evil side to stop Mone feels like a possible outcome. 

5 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

I'm pretty sure they're gonna turn Willow heel on Mercedes, with TK thinking he needs to have his big, very expensive signing be the face of the women's division on TV, both figurative and literal. 

Not saying its the right decision at all because its absolutely not, but the way they're booking some aspects at the moment it's like Stokely turning her over to the evil side to stop Mone feels like a possible outcome. 

I thought the opposite in that I think Stokeley will end up representing Money actually. Either wouldn't surprise me, though I think turning Willow is the sillier option.

• Paid Members

The Boss/CEO is such an obviously heel character they might as well record a "tribute to" the old Ted DiBiase theme and have Mercedes sing "Mone, Mone, Mone, Mone, MONE, MONEEEEEEE" over the top. Double fitting, as she's proven EVERYONE has a price for little Tone and his real life figure fed.

That's where reading "Billy Gunn vs Jay White" took my mind - a kid playing with figures. If he wants to book Kamala, New Foundation Anvil & Ghostbuster Egon vs Demolition Smash, Adam Bomb & Shredder, he'll do it, whether it makes artistic sense or not.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen the show, but I did see the Edge entrance on Twitter and it was the most Kevin Dunn-ish presentation I've ever seen from AEW. They really need to get back to the aethetic they had during the early / pandemic era Dynamites where it felt like.you were watching an episode of Nitro rather than 2010's Raw.

• Paid Members

Supposedly Dax Harwood also did a #StandUpForAEW, just-enjoy-wrestling speech after the TV taping ended.

I would LOVE IT (Kevin Keegan-style) if Punk ends up falling out with Dax over this. The true Punker experience. I’ll only speak about CMFTR merchandise if a lawyer is present.

4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Supposedly Dax Harwood also did a #StandUpForAEW, just-enjoy-wrestling speech after the TV taping ended.

I would LOVE IT (Kevin Keegan-style) if Punk ends up falling out with Dax over this. The true Punker experience. I’ll only speak about CMFTR merchandise if a lawyer is present.

I watched it this morning. It was pretty tame, him just saying how thankful he is for AEW and that he loves wrestling with his friends. But Punk falls out with people over any old shit so who knows.

I didn't mind the opening promo to be honest. Of the million ways it could have gone wrong, it ended up being a very above board rallying cry for a promotion that - despite the decent booking this year - still has the perception of needing one right now. I saw it aimed more at negativity in general, and Copeland's friendly "You're missing the point" line when people started booing the mention of the WWE and main point that AEW's made the entire industry a better, more competitive place were right on the money. 

Good show, all in all. Psycho Swerve is indeed where it's at. Blurting out "I love this shit" through a face full of his own blood like someone doped out of it on cough syrup whilst Joe betrayed a teeny look of actual fear was awesome. 

• Paid Members

The Good

- Ospreay vs Hobbs was absolutely cracking. Kinda weird to have Ospreay beat all the Callis Family BEFORE the inevitable split though but maybe they have something else planned.

- Willow getting a proper live promo segment for the first time and absolutely smashing it. She has more potential than any woman wrestler on the planet. And Mercedes sliding into her natural heel role made her infinitely more watchable. 

- Trent's heel turn was great and the first time in ages I've been genuinely upset by a heel turn (in the way intended). I love Best Friends and want them to stay pals.

- contract signing felt like real main eventer shit and Swerve really proved he belonged there. Loved Joe no selling the chain then headbutting Swerve into the shadow realm. Brilliant, brilliant work all round.

The Bad

- obviously Chris Jericho. Probably the shittest thing on all TV right now. He gets initial boos then complete apathy. Read the room!

- Danielson/Archer was fine but felt like it went on for 6 years. When you already know who's winning just keep it short and sweet lads! 

- barely any backstage segments. They really help break up the shows otherwise it feels like endless matches.

- Jay White/Billy Gunn should have lasted about 4 minutes maximum before breaking down. Truly dreadful. Nothing worthwhile going on here.

- just a genuine lack of excitement throughout the show. Felt like stuff is just being thrown out rather thsn built to properly. 

- AEW roster is absolutely stacked but the shows don't really feel like it. Imagine if they had all the people Copeland listed actually on one show at the same time! It'd be fucking AMAZING and can't miss. They have enough people to stack all 3 weekly shows with top guys but it never feels like they do.

- three singles matches in a row. They really need to pace and format the shows better.

• Paid Members

Copeland listing all the guys he wants to wrestle just made me sad. Does anyone truly believe he’ll get around to wrestling even half of them? The history of AEW doesn’t fill me with optimism. Never has a company left so many dream matches on the table. Still waiting for Kenny Omega vs. Darby Allin.