12 hours ago, sukhy said:

If you go onto the triller website rather than the app, that 3 PPV deal goes to $49 rather than ÂŁ49, so it works out to be ÂŁ39 for 3 PPVs, which isn't too bad!

I'm abit of a dinosaur mate. Haven't got all the modern stuff that I would imagine I would need to watch it. Also I don't watch every ppv. Only the ones I think look good 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Regardless, if we’re clutching at “here’s one example of a match where WHAT A GREAT MATCH isn’t the reason to tune in,” I just gave back two.

Not great examples as both matches had a story behind them, told stories within the matches and the finishes of both matches cleverly directly fed into the Danielson vs Ospreay story but I get your point.

Personally I think there absolutely is and should be a place for the "dream match" style of booking in AEW. The sheer depth of their roster and international partnerships means you have basically almost unlimited fresh potential matches but not all those matches require a story going into them, the matches are the story. I love it when a match is announced for Dynamite and my reaction is "holy shit, I never thought that would happen" or "I never even considered that match, looks cool, can't wait to see it!". It's fucking great and the unique offer AEW has that makes them a real alternative. It's not for everyone but if you enjoy wrestling matches and the stories told within them rather than before them then you're absolutely eating good right now.

The problem is when that is your sole selling point. AEW need to incorporate big, exciting storylines leading to big, exciting matches alongside the crazy dream match booking. That's what they did when they were at their best. 

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, no user name said:

I'm abit of a dinosaur mate. Haven't got all the modern stuff that I would imagine I would need to watch it. Also I don't watch every ppv. Only the ones I think look good 

Where do you normally watch the PPVs? On a laptop?

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Personally I think there absolutely is and should be a place for the "dream match" style of booking in AEW. The sheer depth of their roster and international partnerships means you have basically almost unlimited fresh potential matches but not all those matches require a story going into them, the matches are the story.

I completely agree, but i think in that case they should be made a big deal - put on a PPV, with plenty of advance notice, packages, promos, standoffs etc.  Make sure your more casual audience know who this person is, why it's a big deal, give them a little taste and give the match a pride of place.  IIRC they did that with Ospreay when he came over for a match, and it really helped the audience connect with them.

When they throw out the "old Japanese wrestler of the week" for a 20 minute loss to Moxley randomly on the next Dynamite, it's only ever going to appeal to a specific (and probably relatively small) tranche of wrestling fans.

Edited by Loki

29 minutes ago, Loki said:

I completely agree, but i think in that case they should be made a big deal - put on a PPV, with plenty of advance notice, packages, promos, standoffs etc.  Make sure your more casual audience know who this person is, why it's a big deal, give them a little taste and give the match a pride of place.  IIRC they did that with Ospreay when he came over for a match, and it really helped the audience connect with them.

When they throw out the "old Japanese wrestler of the week" for a 20 minute loss to Moxley randomly on the next Dynamite, it's only ever going to appeal to a specific (and probably relatively small) tranche of wrestling fans.

Wouldn't that Moxley v "old Japaese wrestler of the week" appeal to a specific (and probably relatively small) tranche of wrestling fans regardless of the amount of build it got? 

With people that more of their fanbase know, there does seem to be a bit more build to things - even if they're not dream matches. There was a couple of weeks of them building to RVD/Jack Perry for example. 

Admittedly they could do a lot more. But while the depth of the roster gives them ample opportunity to make dream matches, it also hinders how much time they can committ to building to the match - especially if they want their selling point, as a company, to be where you'll see great wrestling matches as well as trying to make everyone on their roster look like a credible threat. We all think they can cut Danielson v Archer (for example) in half and allow that time to be put into a promo/graphic/angle/skit whatever but AEW/Tony Khan doesn't want that. 

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Loki said:

When they throw out the "old Japanese wrestler of the week" for a 20 minute loss to Moxley randomly on the next Dynamite

I don't think they've done that for ages. Typically these days they do usually show you some footage and explain who the person is beforehand and why it's worth watching. Typically it won't appeal outside of the core audience but it's important to keep that core audience happy, people forget that sometimes. 

• Paid Members

I think people overstate the usage of "dream match" in AEW, much like I see the worst anti-AEW accounts on Twitter sarcastically make jokes about every new signing being a "gamechanger", which just isn't the language that AEW themselves use. A lot seems to be a confusion or conflation of what the promotion itself promotes and how some of its fans behave.

The recent Shibata matches for Ospreay or Danielson make for perfect wrestling TV - there's a story there for both of them individually, and in contrast to one another, not enough of a story for those matches to be a money-spinner in their own right, but enough of one to accent the PPV match they are building towards.

To refer back to another phrase that AEW's critics used to love to laugh it up about, in terms of "sports-based presentation", the question of how two wrestles fare against the same opponent ahead of a match against each other is a more interesting way (to me) of building that match than four weeks of interrupting each other's promos at the top of the hour. 

I don't think "this wrestler is a star in Japan" is a hard sell, and I think it's insulting to the audience to suggest it is. When people watch, for example, RuPaul's Drag Race UK Vs. The World, they don't cry about how they couldn't possibly know who this French drag queen is, they accept that they won their series, are clearly a big deal in their own context, and then see how they will fare on the new show. Are wrestling fans that much more incurious, or small-minded, to not understand the idea that other countries exist where other people are performing in a similar context? Would they have had their minds blown by International Gladiators?

At the end of the day, as somebody who's booked or had a hand in booking shows in the past, "you keep booking dream matches" is the sort of problem most of us wish we could have.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Are wrestling fans that much more incurious, or small-minded, to not understand the idea that other countries exist where other people are performing in a similar context? Would they have had their minds blown by International Gladiators?

Yes. 100%. At least most American mainstream /WWE fans. How many stars from Mexico or Japan have really done well in WWE? Rey, Shinsuke, Asuka? What about Mistico, Ultimo Dragon. They discussed this on Wrestle Me this week where they went to a show on Thursday and the was a 10 man, Lucha vs DDT and he said the match was great but there was zero reaction from the fans because they didn’t know who they  were (ironically one of them was Mistico). 

I think your average AEW fan is probably aware of Japanese and Indy stars because they watched RoH or NJPW or TNA. A lot of WWE fans don’t watch anything outside of the company. Now of course I’m generalising but I don’t think I’m being unfair with that assumption. At least based on real life experiences.

• Paid Members

Dynamite 03/04/24. 

I genuinely wasn't sure what Copeland was on about at the start. I have since read up on it and I still don't care. Didn't like this to open the show. Always feels petty and small time to do a segment like this. I think he's sincere about this stuff, and he tweeted a lot of similar sentiments after signing for AEW. I also agree with him that AEW existing is a good thing for pro wrestling whether you enjoy the product or not. But yeah, regardless, I could do without this sort of shit on the show. Also it is absurd that he doesn't know how to pronounce Osprey. Not that everyone should know who he is because he was Good in Japan or any of that nonsense, he's a heavily promoted new star for the promotion you're hyping up with your promo and you know your segment ends with you introducing him. It's wild to get it wrong in that context.

Fantastic match between Osprey and Hobbs. Loved it. Smaller speedy babyface vs Monster Heel works for me every time, and these are two of the finest in those roles. Hobbs always has complete disdain for his opponents but I loved how much he ramped it up here; being even more reckless than usual because he's clearly pissed that Osprey is Callis' golden goose. Osprey's style lends itself so well to doing little flurries of hope spots against a bigger opponent, I like Osprey matches where his opponent can dictate the pace and rein him in a bit, then let him shine at the right moments with all of the spectacular shit he can do. 

Danielson and Archer was the same thing again but not as good. Still enjoyed it though. Glad Danielson is carrying on with his early entrance gimmick he was going against Kingston, always makes me smile. 

Weekly Fuck Off Jericho comment. Hook's dad is literally in the same building. Hook's dad who is a professional wrestler who tours with the same promotion as Hook. Hook uses his dad's finishing move, carries his dad's belt and does Judo throws and suplexes just like him. I think he might already have a pro wrestling mentor guys. Making it clear that Hook KNOWS Jericho is up to no good certainly doesn't make him look any less stupid for going along with it. Hook is getting colder and colder by the week with this nonsense. I hate it.

Jay White and Billy Gunn was awful and far too long. It was set out like it was Stone Cold getting his hands on Vince or something. This whole Bang Bang Scissor Gang mess has been so detrimental to Bullet Club Gold. Unify the six man titles and then please never speak of this again. 

Willow promo was the highlight of the show. What an amazing feel good segment, only amplified by Renee and Statlander looking sincerely thrilled for her as she knocked it out of the park. This was also my favourite Mercedes segment so far. The most perfect foil for Willow's heartfelt promo about her insecurities and not having the conventional look. Mercedes comes out looking like a movie star, and after Willow explained at length why she loves the town and namedrops the local venues, Mercedes just shouts the name of the town and waits for the applause. I know Mone still got a babyface reaction but she could not have been more the heel in this segment. Fantastic stuff. Can't believe we've waited this long to see Willow do this. 

OK I haven't been entirely sold on this Bucks gimmicks at times (though I love them with Okada), but their delayed and thoroughly excessive pyro for their entrance was one of my favourite EVP bits they've done so far. What a couple of pricks. 

Trent heel turn was brilliant and devastating. The crowd made an awesome sound of collective surprise and horror when it happened, I rewound and listened to that one a few times. The last shot was tremendous, looking over Sue's shoulder with the back of her jacket reading "Trent and Orange w/Chuck win the big one". Sheer tragedy. 

Thunder Rosa/Mariah May was a pretty average match in front of a very flat crowd. Toni Storm was brilliant on commentary though. 

Penta vs Copeland sounds delightful. Penta vs Komander on Collision will be a good'un too. I welcome more Penta appearances on the main shows. 

The contract signing was outstanding.  Swerve finding cracks in Joe's usually unflappable aura, first by goading him into the fight and landing that tremendous looking sucker punch, then getting Joe to show real fear by showing him what kind of lunatic he's up against. This felt massive for Swerve. Even if Hangman screws him over and he doesn't win at Dynasty, he  has never looked more like The Guy. All of this done without diminishing Joe at all. He sounded great, he beat the piss out of Swerve twice and ended it standing tall. Loved everything about this. 

Definitely some skippable/rubbish bits on this show, but the opener, Trent's turn, Willow's promo and the closing segment were all excellent. 

25 minutes ago, AnotherCrapUsername said:

So apparently they're going to be airing footage from All In of Punk slapping the piss out of a Jack Perry.

Should come as no shock to anyone that people in the wrestling business are so think skinned.

Haven't seen Collision to know what was said, all i've seen is the promo graphic.

Which is the Young Bucks showing backstage footage from All In. Which is where they faced FTR and are about to face them again at Dynasty. To me that's more them trolling everyone for clicks and attention.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Whilst I'm still not convinced it'll be what we are expecting, what does this achieve exactly? Who will benefit from any tape being shown of what happened at All In on TV? 

By all means, have Tony tweet it out, the group that are interested in what happened will all see the tweet, what benefit to the weekly show will this have? 

Also, are they legally allowed to show footage of someone else who is contracted to their competitor as an actual segment? Feels like a really risky move for something that's going to have absolutely zero benefit to the show or company other than stroking egos.

As LaGoosh said, I'm fucking tired of it all. I'm tired of the shite back and forth between the two companies, between the two groups of fans and every-fucking-thing being taken over by some sort of shit point scoring practice.

I've gotten to the point of wrestling fandom where I couldn't give a shite what goes on backstage, what the ratings are or who hates who. I just want to enjoy watching something that entertains me, regardless of what 3 letters are attached to said entertainment.

Edited by Nick James
Typo

• Paid Members
On 4/2/2024 at 8:48 AM, Supremo said:

If Tony Khan has to respond, he should just release the security footage from Wembley. Call me a cynic, but I don’t believe that footage will back up Punk’s claims here, acting as if he calmly strolled up to Jack Perry and politely asked, “excuse me young Jack, may I please enquire as to why you’re doing this silly internet stuff on TV.”

IMG_7997.gif.f6cdbb13b0a8130e87000cf3a8473c0b.gif