1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

Danielson v. Japanese wrestling sensation Yoshihiko. Best way to break the internet after this. 

If you think at least one fat middle aged man wouldn't absolutely be there for that, I can assure you, you'd be wrong.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Danielson v. Japanese wrestling sensation Yoshihiko. 

Totally got confused with Yoshiko for a moment, which baffled me (is she still cancelled?). I can't see Danielson replicating the Infinity Destroyer, but I imagine he could manage a pretty mind-boggling Cattle Mutilation variant on Yoshihiko.

12 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Good thing WWE don't have any negativity going on right now that could distract from their product. 

Oh wait, the rapes. I forgot about the rapes.

Jeez, that’s a pretty extreme response to a fairly banal opinion. I think you’re a tremendous poster - and person, for that matter; but I think you tend to defend AEW in a way that has a tendency to feel a bit angry at times; I totally accept that might not be your intention, so I’m not going to dwell on that.

I’ll respond to your point though, and what I’d say to that is that I think the difference is pretty clear. WWE has parted ways with its problematic billionaire; while AEW’s identity has very much become wrapped up in theirs. That doesn’t mean there aren’t problematic people backstage in WWE; and it also doesn’t mean I won’t feel down on those people for allowing truly awful things to happen. But for whatever reason - and it may just be better PR - WWE feels like it’s cleaned up, whereas AEW hasn’t been able to capture that feeling. Khan generally goes on the defensive, and often fails to acknowledge problems in a way that feels satisfactory to me. It goes without saying though, that although I think Tony Khan is an issue for AEW, unlike Vince McMahon - who is truly despicable - the issues Khan has are rooted in poor decision making skills and personality flaws. 

I also think AEW’s problems make their way on to television far too often, and it’s not fun to watch. WWE doesn’t do that. If you simply want to enjoy the mad wrestling world and forget about the politics of it all; AEW can make that difficult.

12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Considering what’s been happening inside WWE in the last few months, let alone years, it’s interesting that some back stage drama and dodgy twitter exchanges is the rubicon and not the sex trafficking for example.

AEW have far better matches and PPV’s. WWE have better production and can deliver better storylines. But maybe just stop watching AEW if Tony Khan bothers you to the point of affecting your enjoyment. 

Again, Scorchers, I think you’re a top guy. And I wish I felt as passionate about anything as you do AEW. But how can telling someone to switch off because they have a problem with something ever be beneficial to a company you clearly love? Unfortunately, AEW is often struggling to attract an audience - and while that might not bother you, it’ll eventually result in downsizing of some form. That’s not good for the wrestlers who work there, or the wider industry.

If I want to watch AEW in spite of Tony Khan, I will. If or when I feel done with it, I’ll switch off. I can enjoy a good episode of Dynamite because of its performers; and simultaneously roll my eyes at its utter berk of an owner. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I also think AEW’s problems make their way on to television far too often, and it’s not fun to watch. WWE doesn’t do that. If you simply want to enjoy the mad wrestling world and forget about the politics of it all; AEW can make that difficult.

I tend to see it more as a social media thing than a TV thing. The Copeland thing felt unusual, even as a mission statement. The thing this week may be different (and the Bucks being involved makes me think it's not going to be quite as on-the-level as it's being made out to be), but I can't think of that many time the problems have made their way onto the show itself.

Not meaning to be contrary here - if you come at me with receipts, no problem, because I tend to be a little more switched-off on AEW these days while I'm watching. But I don't feel like I'm seeing that much in the way of politics on the show itself.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Then, move on. Sack Ric Flair. Book like you exist in a bubble. Make sure the 10 biggest stars in the company have something interesting to do on every single TV show. Bring back Dark elevation.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Mania spoiler. Oops meant to hide the paragraph in spoiler tag rather than delete. Sorry.

I, for one, am quite looking forward to the insane discourse that has been, and will continue to take place, no matter if they show the actual footage and it blows up Punk's story, basically confirms Punk's story, or is just some silly shit to re-introduce Jungle Boy. All appeals to me, mostly for the comedy.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I tend to see it more as a social media thing than a TV thing. The Copeland thing felt unusual, even as a mission statement. The thing this week may be different (and the Bucks being involved makes me think it's not going to be quite as on-the-level as it's being made out to be), but I can't think of that many time the problems have made their way onto the show itself.

Not meaning to be contrary here - if you come at me with receipts, no problem, because I tend to be a little more switched-off on AEW these days while I'm watching. But I don't feel like I'm seeing that much in the way of politics on the show itself.

No, this is totally fair - you’re not being contrarian at all. I’m maybe being a bit more broad with what I’m saying, and likely not clear enough - outside of the petty feuds and Khan’s behaviour, when I say problems, I’m referring to things like the dogged insistence to push on with Jericho, the use of people like Ric Flair and Jericho, Jim Ross (though he’s all but gone now) feeling all too comfortable insulting the product he’s watching alongside the Punk/Page/Perry nonsense and Baker’s ‘sandbag’ nonsense with Thunder Rosa etc. 

I didn’t particularly mind the digs they would take at WWE, but on reflection, Khan would be better off discouraging tribalism; saying something like ‘they’re doing good things, so are we; watch what you enjoy, I certainly do…’ 

But yeah, your point about social media is entirely fair; whether it’s a wrestler complaining or Khan being an ass, it feels very constant - I’d be lying if I said I don’t let a wrestler’s (…or owner’s) social media behaviour affect how I feel about what I’m watching. It plays a significant role in how I feel about AEW at the moment.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Again, Scorchers, I think you’re a top guy. And I wish I felt as passionate about anything as you do AEW. But how can telling someone to switch off because they have a problem with something ever be beneficial to a company you clearly love? Unfortunately, AEW is often struggling to attract an audience - and while that might not bother you, it’ll eventually result in downsizing of some form. That’s not good for the wrestlers who work there, or the wider industry.

If I want to watch AEW in spite of Tony Khan, I will. If or when I feel done with it, I’ll switch off. I can enjoy a good episode of Dynamite because of its performers; and simultaneously roll my eyes at its utter berk of an owner. 

No need to butter me up, 😉 I am just an average guy  idiot, but thanks for the compliment(s).

Tone is hard to get across, and I can say it certainly wasn't written in anger. But I think you nailed your own problem with the drawing the line. Because what has made me decide I can walk away from WWE now is the PR Campaign used this week but most of all this Wrestlemania. The white washing and introduction of the Levesque Era made me feel nauseous. Steph taking a jig on Vinces grave was fine, until it turned into that. And she be a reminder as to why for the last 40+ WWE/F has been the dominant company. Murders? What Murders? Drugs? What Drugs? Sexual Assaults? What you talking about? The PR and Lawyers fees have been worth every penny to keep the brand Teflon. What have they cleaned up exactly? Vince and Kevin Dunn? If anything the closing moments with Bruce Prichard, HHH and Unamed Plaintiff number 3(?)  should demonstrate just because one head was cut off, the monster is still alive. But we have our lines and my justification for continuing to watch WWE was 1- Habbit and 2 - I haven't given them a penny since the Ashley stuff came out.

Curious as to which ones? I am genuinely struggling to think of any (outside of the Brawl Out suspensions). And thats probably my stupid memory more than anything.

I wasn't expecting you to take it literally. I just mean I have reached a point where I now can stop watching something I have watched pretty much weekly for 33 years because I have reached that point. I just don't think I can enjoy it anymore, so why waste the time watching it. On another point, I know plenty of folks the other way, stopped watching AEW in 2020/2021 and will complain about it without watching it. Now that is something that angers me (the complaining about something you don't watch, not just not watching it).

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

No, this is totally fair - you’re not being contrarian at all. I’m maybe being a bit more broad with what I’m saying, and likely not clear enough - outside of the petty feuds and Khan’s behaviour, when I say problems, I’m referring to things like the dogged insistence to push on with Jericho, the use of people like Ric Flair and Jericho, Jim Ross (though he’s all but gone now) feeling all too comfortable insulting the product he’s watching alongside the Punk/Page/Perry nonsense and Baker’s ‘sandbag’ nonsense with Thunder Rosa etc. 

I didn’t particularly mind the digs they would take at WWE, but on reflection, Khan would be better off discouraging tribalism; saying something like ‘they’re doing good things, so are we; watch what you enjoy, I certainly do…’ 

But yeah, your point about social media is entirely fair; whether it’s a wrestler complaining or Khan being an ass, it feels very constant - I’d be lying if I said I don’t let a wrestler’s (…or owner’s) social media behaviour affect how I feel about what I’m watching. It plays a significant role in how I feel about AEW at the moment.

I think we all feel similar about Jericho and Flair (although, to his credit, that was to appease Sting and was cut from every match to a couple and than his last ever match). I didn't think the Rosa/Baker stuff was on TV, I thought that was just on the reality show (could be wrong).

As to the WWE digs, I thought about this a lot over the weekend, and the majorityof the digs at WWE that I could remember were from Cody and CM Punk. 

25 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

No need to butter me up, 😉 I am just an average guy  idiot, but thanks for the compliment(s).

No, I think you know by now I have a lot of time for you; but sometimes it’s worth repeating - tone doesn’t always come across in the written word as you acknowledge!

26 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Because what has made me decide I can walk away from WWE now is the PR Campaign used this week but most of all this Wrestlemania. The white washing and introduction of the Levesque Era made me feel nauseous.

See, I think this is an understandable thing to do - distance yourself from what came beforehand. As you say, Vince allowed terrible things to happen and his own actions were often monstrous. From a PR perspective it makes sense to say ‘we’re not him, not anymore’ - bit an optimist could view it as a statement of intent; the intent to do better. But the benefit of the doubt can only last for so long. If it emerges that any other senior figures knew the extent of what Vince was up to, I would expect them to be sent packing pretty quickly. 

36 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Curious as to which ones? I am genuinely struggling to think of any (outside of the Brawl Out suspensions). And thats probably my stupid memory more than anything.

Hopefully my response to Chris sheds a bit more light on that for you. 

37 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I wasn't expecting you to take it literally. I just mean I have reached a point where I now can stop watching something I have watched pretty much weekly for 33 years because I have reached that point. I just don't think I can enjoy it anymore, so why waste the time watching it.

Me too - I don’t watch Collision or Rampage, and NXT is just abysmal - it feels like Vince McMahon won booking duties in his divorce from WWE. I briefly gave up on Dynamite before giving it another chance; but there’s a good chance I’ll stop watching again. I want to love it in the way I once did, but it’s a frustrating watch on a number of levels.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Me too - I don’t watch Collision or Rampage, and NXT is just abysmal - it feels like Vince McMahon won booking duties in his divorce from WWE. I briefly gave up on Dynamite before giving it another chance; but there’s a good chance I’ll stop watching again. I want to love it in the way I once did, but it’s a frustrating watch on a number of levels.

I still watch Rampage (it’s 45 minutes of a Saturday morning, sometimes less). As a night owl I normally watch the first hour of Dynamite/Collision before bed, sometimes the whole thing. And as me and a mate pay for AEW+ it is an easy luxury. But I also enjoy 75-100% of those shows. Far higher than I’d enjoy a Raw or Smackdown (and I agree on NXT 2.0, woof). All that said, AEW do a pretty good job of putting the best bits on YouTube as well, which again cuts down on the commitment.