The Gaffer Posted April 10, 2024 Posted April 10, 2024 14 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said: But how do you spin Christian into the mix for that? It's wrestling. No matter how far down the dark path you go, you just have the good guy from the tag team take enough of a beating that the bad guy - struggling with his conscience halfway up the ramp - eventually says "Fuck it", pelts it back down to the ring, and helps his road brother out. Fans will always eat it up. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted April 10, 2024 Posted April 10, 2024 43 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said: Apparently they are not showing what had Tony 'fearing for his life' though. How odd. What a horrible thought. If true, essentially there's likely a bit of the video that makes Punk look silly or something, and they're going to try and show that. And then half the people who already hate him will say 'see, told you' and the other half who love him will say 'show the full video you cowards' and the Punk/AEW joyless drama will continue evermore. I agree with @Supremo when he said earlier this is just a horrible time to be doing this. Not Just because of Copeland's 'just love the wrestling, lads' speech, but the amazing outpouring of wrestling joy that followed Mania and the fact that Cody, someone who is still very respectful of AEW and had his fellow EVPs in his Mania video, has just got his big moment. I think there's a risk, in this new era, of ceding the ground of being 'the fun place to be' to WWE. Just keep it fun, Tony. Quote
Factotum Posted April 10, 2024 Posted April 10, 2024 1 hour ago, The Gaffer said: But how do you spin Christian into the mix for that? He has history with Old' Jungle Boy. Quote
RedRooster Posted April 10, 2024 Posted April 10, 2024 3 hours ago, LaGoosh said: If they are planning to build to Edge & Christian vs Young Bucks I can definitely see how you could spring an angle off of this. Last week you had Copeland doing his "rah rah" speech then the following week the Bucks do this petty negative shit and Copeland calls them out on it for being exactly that and not what he joined AEW for. Then slowly build things from there. It's basically the only positive spin I can think of in doing this. I know you’re not advocating this, but it would be so counterproductive. Fans know it’s a company decision to air the footage - so having Edge rag on The Bucks for doing so would be extremely odd. A real life decision to air real life footage being criticised by a babyface because it’s ’not why he came to AEW’? Maybe I’m being extremely naive, but I just can’t imagine that they’d do something so daft. There certainly wouldn’t be ‘layers’ to it as described in the tweet, it would simply be a bad decision. They could use it to transition into Jack Perry’s return; but how do you square that with the storyline world? Backstage assaults happen all the time in the fake world of wrestling. I can’t see a way of doing it without acknowledging the fakeness of it all. We’ll see, I suppose. Even though I think it’s stupid to air the footage, perhaps they have a fantastic idea for a next step that I’m just not considering right now. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2024 14 minutes ago, RedRooster said: They could use it to transition into Jack Perry’s return; but how do you square that with the storyline world? Backstage assaults happen all the time in the fake world of wrestling. I can’t see a way of doing it without acknowledging the fakeness of it all. Horrible Matt Hardy in 2005 vibe here. I mean, horrible vibe all round, but you know. Quote
JimmyAnderson Posted April 10, 2024 Posted April 10, 2024 You can imagine the uproar if the footage shown has fuck all to do with Punk or Perry after people getting their knickers in a twist because they believe that's what they've been promised to be shown. From "there's no positive in showing Punk/Perry" to "what was the point in showing FTR and the Bucks arguing over who foots the bill at Maccies when they could have shown us the Punk/Perry fight." Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted April 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2024 Is it likely a dumb idea to air this footage? Yes. Does it make them look super petty and low-rent. Yes. Is it important that we set in stone how Punk recalled the incident on the MMA Hour, in order to determine how full of shit he is? Also yes. "Jack came back from his match, I was the next match, and I've got people with me. "I walk up and I'm like, why do you insist on doing this dumb internet shit on TV, and he was like 'well if you've got a problem do something about it and I'm like come on man, I'd kill you, what are we doing. "I thought I was doing the responsible thing, I didn't punch anybody, I just choked somebody a little bit. Samoa Joe was there, told me to stop, then I quit. "I turned to Tony, I said this place is a joke man, you're a clown, I quit. "I went to my room, Joe and Jerry Lynn got me and lets just go out there and kill it. I was just too fired up and I'm fired up now, I'm probably going to regret talking about it." Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 10, 2024 Members Posted April 10, 2024 @Supremo congrats on having the worst avatar of all time. I love/hate it. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2024 6 hours ago, RedRooster said: I think that’s reading into something that isn’t there at an extreme level, I’m afraid. In reference to the tweet, the only ‘layer’ that exists is a thin layer of skin that has caused Tony Khan to do this. I We’re really going to discuss who has the thinnest skin in wrestling? At this rate I’d put £5 on Tony ”Dweeby” Khan being able to take down Philip “Fragile Ego, Fragile Body” Brookes. And one has the look of Mr Burns physic, but the other has the mobility of him. Quote
TheScarlettChad Posted April 10, 2024 Posted April 10, 2024 14 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said: We’re really going to discuss who has the thinnest skin in wrestling? At this rate I’d put £5 on Tony ”Dweeby” Khan being able to take down Philip “Fragile Ego, Fragile Body” Brookes. And one has the look of Mr Burns physic, but the other has the mobility of him. Are we now resorting to "My guy can beat your guy?" If we are, I'll put money on Phil. He may be a shit MMA fighter, he's still a MMA fighter. Unless Tone is a shooter himself. Quote
Infinity Land Posted April 10, 2024 Posted April 10, 2024 1 hour ago, RedRooster said: They could use it to transition into Jack Perry’s return; but how do you square that with the storyline world? Backstage assaults happen all the time in the fake world of wrestling. I can’t see a way of doing it without acknowledging the fakeness of it all. We’ll see, I suppose. I'm just assuming the Bucks will be doing their EVP schtick of the last couple of months, with the take being that Perry has been victimised by TK and they're using their powers to end his suspension. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 10, 2024 Members Posted April 10, 2024 A new player has entered the chat. Still not as bad as ratings chat mind. Quote
Paid Members Daaaaaad! Posted April 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2024 5 hours ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said: But how do you spin Christian into the mix for that? Do the Young Bucks have a dad? Quote
RedRooster Posted April 10, 2024 Posted April 10, 2024 42 minutes ago, Infinity Land said: I'm just assuming the Bucks will be doing their EVP schtick of the last couple of months, with the take being that Perry has been victimised by TK and they're using their powers to end his suspension. That seems probable, actually. I’m not entirely sure what the ‘scapegoat’ gimmick is, but I really hope this isn’t doesn’t begin and end at being a ‘wrestler vs the company’ type-storyline. 1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said: We’re really going to discuss who has the thinnest skin in wrestling? At this rate I’d put £5 on Tony ”Dweeby” Khan being able to take down Philip “Fragile Ego, Fragile Body” Brookes. And one has the look of Mr Burns physic, but the other has the mobility of him. I promise I’m not trying to catch you out or be an arse here, but could you list three negative traits you’ve noticed in Tony Khan, specifically in relation to his booking or handling of talent? It’s perfectly valid to say you don’t think you can, but I’m genuinely curious as to how you’d answer this; given your overwhelmingly positive opinion of the guy. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 10, 2024 Members Posted April 10, 2024 9 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said: Do the Young Bucks have a dad? Old Buck? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.