• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

“Increased Bumps” explains the Twitter twattery on some night for little tone. 

You have your own thread for this stuff.

Thanks!

Let's say it's $10 million over 4 years or something like that, it doesn't sound insane to me if you compare it outside the wrestling bubble.  Top athletes in other sports get sponsorship contracts worth that even without a salary or fight purse.

UFC and pro wrestlers have historically been underpaid outside of the WCW Turner contract era.  If AEW is willing to shift the needle on this I'm all for it as it will force TKO to do the same over time.

For AEW she's going to get eyes on the product, shift a ton of merchandise and put on some good matches.  She also has had some Hollywood success and connections into that industry that they'll appreciate.  I honestly think she's their biggest signing since Moxley.  With the possible exception of Edge but he's come in more as a "legend" than a full time wrestler seemingly.

To be clear, I don't care if she is being paid $10m a year. It's just that I don't believe for a second it's true. What were the reports about what Okada was getting? $4m a year? I don't believe that, either, but the idea that Mercedes Mone would be getting several times more than Okada is mental, even with her larger US star power. A lot of this stuff seems to come from a place of "I don't like Tony Khan (which you shouldn't, because billionaires are bad), therefore I'm willing to believe literally anything that helps me paint him as a 'money mark'".

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Non-native English speakers doing skits like this so often sound like they’re reciting lines, the intonation is wrong and their personality doesn’t come through. The delivery here was perfect. Stupidly read the replies underneath and it just reminded me yet again why I only chat wrestling on here. 

Edited by JLM

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I honestly think she's their biggest signing since Moxley.  With the possible exception of Edge but he's come in more as a "legend" than a full time wrestler seemingly.

Surely Punk was bigger? I know it ended badly but getting him back after such a long absence from the industry was huge and got lots of eyes on it, more than anyone else they've signed surely? Biggest ex WWE signing by a long way

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Surely Punk was bigger? I know it ended badly but getting him back after such a long absence from the industry was huge and got lots of eyes on it, more than anyone else they've signed surely? Biggest ex WWE signing by a long way

Paul Wight is the biggest signing, hands down.