• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

That's reminded me - Where the hell has Britt Baker gone?

She's injured. And also fucking rubbish so who cares? I don't think I've ever seen a wrestler regress in real time like I have Britt Baker.

As for Mercedes Mone's pay there's no chance that rumoured figure is legitimate is there? It''d probably make her the highest paid person in wrestling!

33 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I'd be gobsmacked if she's getting paid $10m a year.

Fightful have called bull on that. Would say they’re a more reliable source as Sapp is obsessed with contract business.

13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

She's injured. And also fucking rubbish so who cares? I don't think I've ever seen a wrestler regress in real time like I have Britt Baker.

As for Mercedes Mone's pay there's no chance that rumoured figure is legitimate is there? It''d probably make her the highest paid person in wrestling!

I agree she's shite but at least they have presented her as somewhat of a big deal.

I fully believe the figures being thrown around are true. It's Tony Khan. He doesn't care. It's peanuts to him.
He has no shareholders to answer to and billions to play with. Fair play to all the wrestlers bilking him for every million they can get. 
'I get paid more money than I've ever dreamed of AND I get to do what I want?! Where do I sign!?'

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I fully believe the figures being thrown around are true. It's Tony Khan. He doesn't care. It's peanuts to him.
He has no shareholders to answer to and billions to play with.

That's definitely true to some extent but I think people overplay it a bit. AEW clearly has a budget of some kind that they seem to stick to other wise they'd be doing all kinds of absolutely insane shit or even just stuff like noticeably better promotion across media or making a video game that's more than just an unfinished demo. Part of me wants to see an AEW where Tony Khan does spend his entire fortune just to see how insane it would be. Though I know the above doesn't fit into the "spoiled kid and his train set" narrative that some people love hate wanking over.

27 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'd love to believe that Tony is paying well over the usual odds for wrestlers, they deserve it after decades of being underpaid compared to other actors and sports stars, but I don't.

What is it, based on what is out there in the public domain about Tony Khan, that makes you think he isn't? Genuinely interested to know. 

7 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

What is it, based on what is out there in the public domain about Tony Khan, that makes you think he isn't? Genuinely interested to know. 

It's less about him, more about business in general.  Bosses aren't paying over what they "need" to. Being the data guy that he is be probably has wages meticulously sorted anyway.

Edited by Merzbow

Sounded like Ospreay got a sweet deal from what he was saying. Doesn't surprise me AEW made a better offer than WWE. If he can get more money AND a more flexible schedule then it was a no brainer for him.

Does make me laugh when I see people tweeting "oh papa H couldn't sign them!" .. well, there's a difference between couldn't and just didn't want to at a certain level. They'll have their idea of what someone's worth and if AEW are making silly money offers then WWE aren't going to break the bank for Ospreay, Okada or Mercedes. They're people that would be nice to have on the roster but the machine keeps on rolling without them.

• Paid Members

there are people in WWE who I know for a fact were offered more money by AEW. That doesn't mean I think the figure getting floated around for Mercedes is correct - that puts her on Brock Lesnar money, and more than Cena's reported salary, which would be bonkers. Thing is, WWE sells wrestlers on opportunity - yes, you might get less base pay than WCW, but with all the royalties and other perks on there, and the possibility that one day you might break through to genuine mega-star status, is usually enough to get people to sign on the dotted line, especially if they've always grown up dreaming of working for WWE.

What we're seeing with the big signings that AEW have made is Mercedes Moné, who has been there and done that in terms of WWE, Okada who seems far more concerned about how he's presented and how respectfully he's treated than about whether WWE can offer him a Wrestlemania main event and an action figure, and Ospreay who never really had that "always wanting to be a WWE superstar" childhood dream; his inspirations were in TNA, or in Japan, and while I can see him ending up in WWE one day, he was never going to sign a mark deal because a little kid inside him always imagined himself wrestling on Monday Night RAW. 

Obviously it doesn't hurt that they've all got seemingly great agents - Barry Bloom for Ospreay and Okada, and UTA for Mercedes. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

What makes someone valuable to AEW doesn't necessarily make them valuable to WWE and vice versa. Ospreay would probably do well in WWE but unlikely to make a huge change in their business while Ospreay in AEW could potentially make a huge difference, therefore he's worth more to them than he is to Triple H. 

WWE made an offer to Rush a while back but AEW offered him significantly more and you can understand why. Rush's act in WWE is a midcard level guy, but Rush in AEW has tons more to offer than he could in the WWE system. But likewise when someone like LA Knight's contract is coming up next WWE will probably offer him something fairly significant while AEW are unlikely to even ask him at all because he doesn't really have much to offer AEW.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

What makes someone valuable to AEW doesn't necessarily make them valuable to WWE and vice versa. Ospreay would probably do well in WWE but unlikely to make a huge change in their business while Ospreay in AEW could potentially make a huge difference, therefore he's worth more to them than he is to Triple H. 

True but I reckon them missing out on both Okada and Ospreay is pretty shit for Triple H. He would have wanted at least one.

Good news for wrestlers though. AEW being a genuine attraction in terms of money etc will mean increased bumps for those whos contracts are up in WWE

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's less about him, more about business in general.  Bosses aren't paying over what they "need" to. Being the data guy that he is be probably has wages meticulously sorted anyway.

I agree with the "need' part. Plus it's what both we and Tony see as being 'over the odds'. As has been said, wrestlers have been notoriously underpaid for decades in comparison to 'real' athletes but at the same time, having dealt with footballers contracts, it wouldn't surprise me if Tony thinks £5-£10mill a year is a reasonable wage and what he "needs" to pay to get certain people. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Factotum said:

True but I reckon them missing out on both Okada and Ospreay is pretty shit for Triple H. He would have wanted at least one.

Good news for wrestlers though. AEW being a genuine attraction in terms of money etc will mean increased bumps for those whos contracts are up in WWE

Careful. Increased bumps is exactly what Darby Allin wants.