Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Conversation with my mum yesterday, not a football watcher of any kind. Somebody died and decided to make her Jo Brand it seems:

Mum: "Did Man United get beat again?"

Me: "When?"

Mum: "At the weekend there."

Me: "Surprisingly not, no"

Mum: "You sure?"

Me: "Well, aye. United weren't playing"

Mum: "I dunno about that. I heard Liverpool were hammering them". 

Me: "Liverpool won, yeah, but it was Bournemouth".

Mum: "Hmmm. Well. Is it not normally United that they're thumping?"

• Paid Members
On 1/18/2024 at 6:38 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Thursday 18th January, 2024;

We regret to announce that Nuneaton Borough FC will be withdrawing from this season's Southern Central Premier League. 

Despite the dedicated efforts of our sponsors and officials, the club faces insurmountable challenges in maintaining operations.

I’m of the age that Alan Shearer’s £15m move to Newcastle still sounds like an astronomical sum, so I’ve never got used to the idea that a bog standard player who may or may not be good enough for the Premier League is now subject to similar sized transfers.

But when you hear the relatively low amounts that semi-pro clubs are going to the wall over, its really infuriating.

• Paid Members

Nagelsmann's deal for Germany was only short term to last till the Euros.

Something tells me he'll happily pop off home for a more relaxing schedule and a big pay day. He's looked fit to blowing a fuse for so long now the guy needs a break of some kind.

Completely shocked. But the earnest reasoning is about what you'd expect it might be once you absorb the headline:

“It is that I am, how can I say it, running out of energy. I have no problem now, obviously, I knew it already for longer that I will have to announce it at one point, but I am absolutely fine now. I know that I cannot do the job again and again and again and again.

“After the years we had together and after all the time we spent together and after all the things we went through together, the respect grew for you, the love grew for you and the least I owe you is the truth – and that is the truth.”

Part of the shock is the what he's doing right now is arguably the most impressive work he's ever done. But then you think back to last season and there was games where you were worried he'd just hit the deck on the touchline. I joked a few weeks ago with my dad that it was going to be a real kick in the balls when he gets a heart attack in the next few years. Evidently he feels that himself. 

Utterly irreplaceable. A sad day for the neutral's favourites and media darlings. 

Consequentially I'm going to be in Liverpool for his final home game! So delighted with the minor personal historical relevance of that. 

• Paid Members

I think he'll be out of the game a year tops, and certainly not coming back to Liverpool's prinicpal competitor no matter how daft the money is.

1 minute ago, hallicks said:

Like Wenger and Fergie, I just thought he’d be there forever. At least he was able to stop City winning it once.

We're halfway into the season and 'twice' isn't off the cards.

Edited by seph

19 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

OK, who had Klopp leaving Liverpool at the end of the season on their football bingo card this year? Now the speculation as to where he is going and who will be the new manager will begin in earnest, unless its already done deals all around. 

Xabi Alonso has to be in with a chance. Top of the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen and still unbeaten this season. He’s about the only ex Liverpool player I can think of who’s actually doing well in top flight football management right now anyway.

11 minutes ago, seph said:

We're halfway into the season and 'twice' isn't off the cards.

Haha, what are you talking about! Arsenal can’t fail to win the title with goal machine Kai “definitely not Ian Olney” Havertz in the team.

• Paid Members

Devastated. Easily the greatest Liverpool manager in my lifetime. I thought I’d always support a team that used to be the best of the best (oh how my grandad loved to remind me of it ad nauseum) but that those days were over. There would always be a Man United or an invincible Arsenal or an infinite money Chelsea (or indeed Man City) ahead of us and we’re just not that club any more. 

As much as the 2005 Champions League final was one of the most joyful nights of my life, I didn’t think I’d see Liverpool win the league in my lifetime. Just could not envision it. 

“Legend” has lost a lot of meaning, particularly in sporting discourse, but Klopp is absolutely that. He did what I had thought impossible and more, all whilst embodying every quality I’d want in a Liverpool manager, the sort of manager in the same class as the stories I’d heard about our legendary managers in the past. In trophies and successes, but also in his relationship with the club, the players, the supporters and the city.  Never mind a statue outside the stadium, I want one in my living room. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JLM said:

He did what I had thought impossible and more, all whilst embodying every quality I’d want in a Liverpool manager, the sort of manager in the same class as the stories I’d heard about our legendary managers in the past. In trophies and successes, but also in his relationship with the club, the players, the supporters and the city.

Looking in from the outside, these qualities are what I've always liked and admired about Klopp, too.

With Ferguson, it wasn't just the great team and the memories he created but the connection to the supporters and the city, his understanding of the place and people perhaps because of his own upbringing and young years against a similar backdrop. Like Ferguson, Klopp isn't just a football team manager, he's part of the fabric of the city and I can totally understand why he means so much to everyone. You could never look at Guardiola or Mourinho, great coaches though they are/were, and make the same statement. I like Klopp a lot and always have and the Premier League is going to be considerably less interesting without him around. It's a huge blow but I'm relieved for him that he's going to get the break he deserves.