Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

• Awards Moderator

Paul Pogba’s drug testing case has been completed. What a, well, dope.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/paul-pogba-banned-from-football-for-four-years-after-doping-offence-39127762

I remember seeing him in 2011 thinking he had the potential to be a top-drawer player but it’s ended like this (he might play in the death league when the ban lifts, but this is effectively the end of his career).

Graeme Souness must have needed a lie down when he found out. That blood isn’t going to redirect itself.

Spurs have decided to become the first club to completely get rid of new senior concessions from the season 25/26.

So that means someone who would potentially have seen us win the league as a very small child, would now not be eligible for a senior discount when they reach the previously eligible age.

Oh and they've raised ST prices by 6% despite us already having the highest prices in Europe. Fuck off.

Still, good news about the go karts eh?

• Paid Members

It's sad, but it's not surprising. They don't want you as a fan, they don't even want the team to be in this league. 

I gave up Chelsea for good after the Super League business, a long time coming, but I just can't be arsed to support a team that doesn't want me. I've not managed to pick another club because frankly I've got nothing but contempt for almost every other club in football, and can't be arsed to patronise a non league team. 

58 minutes ago, gmoney said:

It's sad, but it's not surprising. They don't want you as a fan, they don't even want the team to be in this league. 

I gave up Chelsea for good after the Super League business, a long time coming, but I just can't be arsed to support a team that doesn't want me. I've not managed to pick another club because frankly I've got nothing but contempt for almost every other club in football, and can't be arsed to patronise a non league team. 

I'll be honest, the only real issue I have is that it's impossible to take my 10yo, and she is unfortunately Spurs mental at the moment. 

We went to a pre season friendly and then I was hoping that we'd get an FA Cup 3rd round home draw, and we did! Which was of course moved to 8pm on a Friday night meaning we couldn't go.

Maybe we'd get an FA Cup 4th round home draw, and we did! Which was of course moved to 8pm on a Friday night meaning we couldn't go.

If I want to even get in a queue for a ticket? £50 membership and she needs one at £25 as well. Just to get in a queue! When only 2000 tickets are available for around 100 times that memberships.

It's why we go to Southampton a fair bit. Yes it massively helps that it's 20 minutes away, but it's also really easy to get a ticket for us, and cheap, and we do genuinely like going. 

But she is a Spurs fan and wants to go to a "big" game at Spurs, of course she does. I just don't think it'll ever happen. It's shit.

Away tickets? An away day is one of the best things any football fan can experience, and everyone should get to go to one.

I can't pretend I've been to a thousand but I've been lucky enough to see us at most grounds and win some great games away. 

Unfortunately the club only give 80% of away allocation to ST holders, and 20% to family, guests, corporate. Absolute bollocks, and this was only disclosed because fans have kicked off about it. A fifth of an away allocation isn't given to fans. That is ludicrous.

And a large number of ST holders rarely go to a home game, whack their ticket on the exchange or sell to a mate, so that they still rack up the points in order to get away tickets. So it's a closed shop, and has been for years.

Of course ST holders should be priority for the majority of away tickets, but there should be a portion made available for a ballot IMO, and a limit on how many ballots you can be successful in a season. Like I said, everyone should be able to do one. 

Anyway, I'm not saying anything new but it made me feel better. Fuck off Spurs, fuck off Levy, FUCK OFF EDDIE VEDDER!!!

The price increase has pissed me off, but getting rid of new senior concessions is absolutely diabolical.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, gmoney said:

Pretty much the same as me on this. It's wild to me how quickly it's gone from watching every game, paying money I didn't have to go to Stamford Bridge and just generally being completely engaged in top level football to not caring in the slightest. It's not just domestic top flight football either, I didn't watch a single match of the last World Cup and while perhaps 20% of that was due to its location the vast majority is because I've fallen out of love with the sport as a whole. The quality is better than it's ever been, there is plenty of brilliant attractive football and I just do not care. The most I have enjoyed it this decade is when I lived in Swindon and went to a few games at the County Ground and I don't think I would even bother with that now. I've turned into Chest Rockwell in the space of four years.

• Paid Members

Weirdly, I've found myself watching more Premier League since I binned United. Actually enjoying watching it when having no dog in the fight and laughing more at watching teams I hate when they fail, which is pretty much all of them.

I'll admit Klopp's definitely keeping me cognitively dissonant from the midden of business practices that is the Premier League. Call it glory hunting - and it is - but it's also holding onto something by the fingernails that you know you should let go of, and it'll be easier to do that once he departs and we invariably stop having moments. 

It's much easier to sack it off when your team's doing shite. And conversely - as Devon alluded to - also much easier to approach it with no skin in the game and just absorb it as the monstrous global TV product that it is. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The Gaffer said:

It's much easier to sack it off when your team's doing shite.

I had a lot of issues with being seen this way when I sacked United off. But I had a membership and stood on the Stretford End when they had Ralph Milne on the wing and Peter Davenport up front so I think my account is balanced.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I had a lot of issues with being seen this way when I sacked United off. But I had a membership and stood on the Stretford End when they had Ralph Milne on the wing and Peter Davenport up front so I think my account is balanced.

Every time my 10yo moans about Werner missing a chance, I say "Shall I go and get the Andy Booth videos? Load up the Rasiak ones? Can I interest you in some Soldado?" 

• 2 weeks later...