What weird things make you tear up?

gmoney

• Paid Members

I don't mean necessarily in a sad way, though if something odd makes you tear up in a sad way feel free to mention it.

Just watching Prince at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doing My Guitar Gently Weeps (weeps, fitting) for the billionth time and noting that I always get a bit wet eyed at it, and not because it's a melancholy tune. The combo of Prince blowing everyone off the stage with his solo, the pure joy on Dhani Harrison's face as he can't believe what's happening, the possibly apocryphal tale that Prince was fucked off he was left off of the Rolling Stone 100 best guitarists list and decided to show everyone. All of that and just how fucking good it is is quite overwhelming. 

What makes you tear up? Don't say sitting on your bollocks. 

This is really soppy but other people being sad.

Unless you are an absolute arsehole, as I get older I just want every person to be happy and not feel pain or sadness. I know this isn't possible, but in my dark moments of introspection, I get so upset at the thought of people hurting in the world. It's shit that some people have to go through such pain.

Also, when Newborn by Elbow builds and builds and builds and then finally explodes into that riff, I cry like a baby every time.

I don't even like Elbow.

My son saying Daddy when I get home gets me right now but on the more ridiculous end of the spectrum we have the end of Paddington 2 when his aunt turns up for a surprise run in at his party. Made me stream tears on a flight once to the point I had to go hide in the toilet from shame. 

• Paid Members

I'm bawling left, right and centre like I'm Ric Flair. Music, nature, the beginning of Up.

I think the best(worst?) recent example was at an aviary where they had hawks darting round, parrots singing Cotton Eye Joe etc. At the end, they released all the birds to fly about for a bit while playing stirring music and I just started pissing out tears while my wife looked at me and burst out laughing.

4 hours ago, simonworden said:

My son saying Daddy when I get home gets me right now but on the more ridiculous end of the spectrum we have the end of Paddington 2 when his aunt turns up for a surprise run in at his party. Made me stream tears on a flight once to the point I had to go hide in the toilet from shame. 

I cried at Paddington 2 in the cinema, felt like a right tosser. 

The end of Blackadder goes forth gets me too. 

Vegeta, the character not the UKFF member.

Dragonball Z is a big dumb stupid show but that one monologue he gives during the Buu Saga, having to knock out his own son so he can go sacrifice his own life for him and cementing the best face turn off an time. Every time.

• Paid Members

I cry at practically everything these days. A sad looking dog in an advert? Check. Blatant heartstring-tugging scenes in an awful movie I was barely watching? That'll still get me. 

I went to see the My Neighbour Totoro stage show at the Barbican, and cried at least a little bit pretty much throughout, and I couldn't really explain why other than just being overwhelmed at how lovely it all was.

I don't think crying at things that were designed to make you cry (sad or heartstring-tugging bits in films, etc) is weird, even if you think it's soft or whatever. I assume the spirit of this thread is more in the "taste of Vimto" region of anomalies.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I went to see the My Neighbour Totoro stage show at the Barbican, and cried at least a little bit pretty much throughout, and I couldn't really explain why other than just being overwhelmed at how lovely it all was.

I had pretty much the same reaction. The sheer level of joy and sweetness in it had me emotional pretty much from start to finish.

Ever since having a kid I've got strangely emotional about stuff (especially if involves young kids) and it doesn't take much to get a bit teary these days. A weird one is that I'm strangely obsessed with those stupid YouTube reaction videos where you watch people watch stuff you've already watched. Most of them are full of ridiculously fake over-acting but there's a few good genuine ones out there. When I watch other people being emotionally involved and affected by a film or TV show or whatever that I've already seen it seems to get to me. Sometimes almost like I'm vicariously living through them but other times just seeing people emotionally react to something in a certain way can bring the waterworks..