What weird things make you tear up?

gmoney

• Paid Members

Until the last few years I wasn't a tearing up kind of person but now like Gus mentioned about himself earlier everything makes me cry. Steve Redgrave fixes a clock on The Repair Shop, tears. War medals on Antique Roadshow, tears. The cheeky lad on Warship gets kicked out of the Navy for failing a drugs test, tears. They say there is a water shortage in the East Midlands. Not in my house. 

• Paid Members

I'm not an emotional person, struggle to shed a tear even at the saddest of times, but for some reason, a few years ago, my boss announced they were leaving and just before he left, a few others in the team created a goodbye video, with nice messages and memories etc, I welled up and then couldn't stop myself crying. I wasn't even sad he was leaving, but for some reason, it must have just opened up something. Now, whenever there's a minutes applause for someone at the football, or a montage on TV, I shed a tear and get quite emotional. Still not emotional in general though. 

• Moderators

I find it can be anything if it catches me in just the right mood. Being hungover definitely seems to get me super emotional these days which was a surprise development. The silliest example I can think of from a while back was crying at a Friends rerun of Monica and Chandler's wedding or proposal or something. Was crying and laughing at myself at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I find it can be anything if it catches me in just the right mood. Being hungover definitely seems to get me super emotional these days which was a surprise development. The silliest example I can think of from a while back was crying at a Friends rerun of Monica and Chandler's wedding or proposal or something. Was crying and laughing at myself at the same time.

Once whilst hungover, I welled up at the bit in BASEketball where Squeak admonished them for acting like dickheads to each other and betraying the board of malakalaka or whatever the balance beam thing was called. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ah yes, when I was a drinker and hungover most days I'd cry at sappy bits in sitcoms and adverts a lot more. 

Also if we're talking songs that set you off, In the Bleak Midwinter played by a brass band is guaranteed to. I've got no special memory attached to it or anything, just that particular arrangement of notes has an affect like the brown note but for tears on me. It was being played in Chichester high street by a band one Christmas time and I stood there blubbing like a fool. 

• Paid Members

The end of Cool Runnings, when they finally cross the finish line and we get the big Disney-score key-change as Derice hugs Irv destroys me on every watch. Not a dry eye in the house. 

In fact, the end of any Disney underdog sports movie where the ragtag-upstart-team triumphantly comes from behind to win the big game against the odds. It's stupid, and I know the formula off-by-heart, but something about the music cues and the nature of it reduces me to tears without fail.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, mim731 said:

The end of Cool Runnings, when they finally cross the finish line and we get the big Disney-score key-change as Derice hugs Irv destroys me on every watch. Not a dry eye in the house. 

In fact, the end of any Disney underdog sports movie where the ragtag-upstart-team triumphantly comes from behind to win the big game against the odds. It's stupid, and I know the formula off-by-heart, but something about the music cues and the nature of it reduces me to tears without fail.

I love this film and that scene so much I drew it on here 12 years ago!  Breaks me everytime. 

Screenshot_20230302_113204_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8c2c263a193947628453b336ea815a89.jpg

Photobucket ruined it :(

• Paid Members

Roy fucking Orbison. If I feel the need to cry, I just stick on the Big O and get to blubbering. It's like Nelson off the Simpsons when Andy Williams is in town. Watching Blue Velvet is a bloody nightmare.

Edited by Gus Mears

Everything from the saxophone solo onwards on this gets the arms hairs standing on end but it's specifically when Tom Jones and Heather Small show everybody how it's done at the end that it's waterworks every time for me. It reminds me of my grandad who bought this on tape and just played it on repeat every time we were in the car, including the male only and female only b-sides. 

• Paid Members

I do remember a time when I was a kid watching an episode of Kenan and Kel and been in floods of tears. Kenan was moving away and Kel never showed up to say goodbye as he was getting a giant photo of the two of them framed as a gift. He got to the house too late and left it there while the camera focused on the picture. I was a wreck. I was convinced that they would never see each other again. My mum and sister took the piss. 

Fields of Athenry always gets me. There’s an obvious reason why for me - it’s been played at many close family members funerals and probably every other Irish persons funeral I’ve been to. So whenever I’m watching Ireland play rugby or football (VS Spain in Euro 2012 especially) and the crowd start singing, I well up. Same when I was watching a band play in Temple Bar last year I started crying. But the worst and most random was when I was playing a game of FIFA, either as Ireland or against Liverpool and they have the crowd singing in game and the tears started falling. Fucking FIFA. Muted the game after that.  

The Hibs fans singing Sunshine on Leith when they won the Scottish cup final in 2016 got me too.