What weird things make you tear up?

gmoney

• Paid Members

Is it an age thing to be brought to tears easier and by absolutely fucking anything? Not much used to get me in my late teens and early twenties, and in fact I had to fake crying sometimes just so people didn't think I was heartless. As I got a little older, that hard lump in the throat became more frequent but not too difficult to keep supressed. But now, in my mid-30's, I'm battling tears at a moment's notice and without prior warning, and also at the silliest shit.

PS: I'd like no lectures about my wanting to not cry, thanks. I know it's probably unhealthy and something deeply rooted that could be easily sorted with some therapy, but I cannot be arsed.

Edited by Accident Prone

I'm guilty of "going soft" as I've aged and will admit to finding myself strangely weepy over things like Mighty Ducks and the stock underdog sports story films and other storybeats. The main one for me though will probably be music and I don't mean ballads or sad songs particularly. Whether there's certain notes or what that are setting me off I can't really explain it. It's seemingly random but I've "experimented" and found certain songs, or certain covers (and not just the "how could they butcher this song!" way either) work without fail. A song in a foreign language where pretty much the only gratuitous line of English is "wake up" followed by "make up"? Yep, that'll get me crying. A song about Jack the Ripper? Waterworks every fucking time. A pop punk version of Phantom of the Opera? Oh you better believe that's a bawling. No logical reason and it's not coming from the content but randomly find myself tear up occasionally. Whether there's a subconscious thing about certain notes or what I don't know but I feel ridiculous.

Worst thing, next month I'm going to a gig I bought tickets to a couple of years back that's been put back and had the supports change... The two supports both have songs with this random effect on me. I'm hoping that live they won't have cause the waterworks as I'm going to look a right arse if I'm standing there with a drink and randomly start crying. I've had a bunch of health and personal issues and not been to a gig for about six years now so I'm packing the "oh I'm so glad to be enjoying live music again after all this!" excuse for if they play any of the songs and I start to cry over the stupidest shit.

• Paid Members

Maybe because I live away from the country I was born and raised in (and only get back to maybe twice a year for 3 or 4 days at a time), but hearing a song or someone talking about going back home, especially if they’ve been away for a long time, gets me misty eyed. All I have to hear is the word home and my lip starts to quiver. Totally bizarre, state of me.

Forest had a display in Brian Clough upper for their first home game in the top tier in 23 years which had me going a bit.

62E5CB40-8DB4-48B6-B016-B3E3B35BEEF2.jpeg

• Paid Members

Wait For Me by Kings Of Leon. 

I don't like Kings of Leon at all. And I've never paid enough attention to the lyrics to know what it's about. But something about the vocals and music together just reduces me to tears every single time I hear it. 

The only explanation I can think of is that it may have been playing in the background during some sad event in my life and now my brain subconsiously associates it with crying?

• Paid Members

Watched a couple of films recently when visiting friends and their little ones that ruined me. 

Ignore the shite music remix on this clip but this bastard scene left me in ruins when I first watched it. The moment where that fat bastard of a bear goes “but I found you” - the furry cunt knew exactly what he was doing tugging at my heart strings and obviously I fucking bought it. 

Coco, the film. Again, the bastards got me. 

The Muppets Christmas Carol scene with Tiny Tim singing ruins me. Every. Bastard. Time. Made even worse by seeing it with a live orchestra over Christmas. 

• Paid Members

Have covered a few equestrian events before and the entire vibe does radiate Tory. Dressage is the pits and boring as fuck, but to be fair the Cross Country in eventing is quite good - sprinting through the woods along the water and other obstacles, galloping at full pelt with a mighty steed between your legs, man and beast racing into the wild together as one. Giddy up. 

Other good thing about the cross country in eventing - not all of the horses complete it (some of them bottle it) - which means the showjumping on the final day finishes a lot quicker and you can pack up and leave earlier and get to the pub sooner.