What weird things make you tear up?

gmoney

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Lads, I don’t think it’s weird to get emotional at a beloved broadcaster finishing their final show.

It's a bit weird when I can just carry on listening to him next month on another frequency. Popmaster and all!

25 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It's a bit weird when I can just carry on listening to him next month on another frequency. Popmaster and all!

Popmaster is the finest thing on radio, only tories and fiscally conservatives say otherwise. 

• Awards Moderator

The opening to Ticket to Ride.

I love The Beatles, obviously, and as a song this isn’t even in their top 30. But it was the song (and the album it’s on) which got me into them when I was a kid and it was thanks to my Nan.

I may have told this on here before - sorry if so - but when I was young, me and my Mum would always go to my Nan’s of a Saturday morning. Nan was riddled with Arthritis which would flare up on and off every day. If we’d get to hers and she’d feel okay, we’d lift her into the car, put the wheelchair in the boot and take her to either Greatie or Tuebrook Market. But when she wasn’t feeling too clever, my Mum would pop to the market and I’d stay and keep Nan company.

One day when the latter was the case, we were sat in her front room and I think Football Focus was on or the Chart Show, but it wasn’t entertaining me/us so I must have looked bored. I was cripplingly shy as a kid and struggled with conversation, and I hardly had much in common with a then 70ish year old widow.

I remember her trying to get something out of me with no joy, so she asked what music I liked. I mumbled something about Guns N Roses or Iron Maiden or something to look cool to woman who wouldn’t have had a clue who they were, but she then asked if I liked The Beatles. Aware of them? Of course I was. Knew a few of their hits? Yeah. But ‘like’ them? Not really.

She pointed to her massive cabinet and told me to pull out her copy of Help!, and to turn on the player which was the size of Belgium. I played it. Whilst it wasn’t the first song that came out of the dusty, crackly speakers, I’ll honestly never forget hearing those first few seconds. So clear, so crisp and so gorgeous despite the sound quality. I was hooked. That was it. That was the one for me.

I completely immersed myself in The Beatles after that, borrowing cassettes and getting hand-me-downs from the family to build up my collection. I still to this day struggle to decide my favourite album or song, but Ticket to Ride always makes me think of my Nan. She was just a beautiful human being, in constant agony but never complained and did everything she could to look after others.

She passed away over 20 years ago and I was privileged enough to be one of the family members to carry her coffin, so when that song comes on unexpectedly my lip quivers at the very least, but usually I fill up and have to excuse myself if I’m in company.

And wouldn’t you know it, here’s the well-worn and cherished family copy of the LP that’ll never go anywhere for as long as I’m kicking around. I’m going to get a glass of wine and put this on. My Nan was ace. 

4BCFB867-BA60-4A62-8E2B-931D9DC183E8.thumb.jpeg.cabf44af2527fff9d208ac76fe46293c.jpeg

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

as a song this isn’t even in their top 30.

Yes it is.

I've always been a bit of a softy, contrary to this volcano of testosterone that people see me as, but especially in the last three years I've become even worse. A lot of it, I think, is the double-whammy of lockdown fragmenting my old workplace just as the business was taken over by a company that made no attempt to hide the fact that they didn't want our office, and are still driving it into the ground and making everyone miserable, so I find myself missing people a lot.

Yesterday I spotted an email from an old colleague in the inbox for one of the other teams, and noticed from her email signature that she's now been made a senior adviser. Well, that was it for me.

Yesterday, I felt this really nostalgic pang of sadness that I tried to put my finger on for hours. I haven't experienced it for years if not decades. Obviously, by describing the nostalgia of it, there was a certain warmth associated with it as well - but an undeniable sadness crept over me.

I worked out that it was to do with the very early spring sunsets we've been having in Glasgow recently. Yesterday's was SO redolent of what I used to remember Sundays at my gran's being like. Like Frankie, I also love mine to bits. Dusky, spring sunsets on a Sunday afternoon with quiet streets and near silence just brought that feeling home to me. A A bath tonight, school in the morning and not seeing my gran (who I idolised) for another week.

For some reason, I always thought people died on a Sunday as a rule when I was a small kid too. That kind of poetic sadness on a Sunday reminds me of John Candy, Dermot Morgan and my other deceased (and also lovely) gran. Strange, eh?

A story from a fellow cheese microwaver on a wrestling and poo forum that resonates so strongly that now I’m filling up thinking about me and my now dearly departed brothers singing our own lyrics on Sunny Afternoon as “Big Fat Nana tryna break me” when all’s the old dear was trying to do was take us for a run out on a Sunday afternoon. She bloody loved it though.

There's a South Park episode where Cartman is at a fat camp secretly hawking chocolate and such to his campmates. And there's one kid who gets really upset because he can't stop himself from eating, even though he wants to. Naturally, Cartman tempts him with another candy bar and the episode goes on.

And I tear up. Because he can't help it. This poor kid is just incapable of maintaining any self control.

Of course, he doesn't exist and it's all just one of Parker/Stone's random collection of voices, but it makes me sad every time.

Maybe it's having a 2.5yr old girl who loves her special bunny rabbit "Hoppy" but this episode and reading the meaning behind it (Life is better with family and conforting teddies/toys) always gets me welling up. First time I saw it, I was in bits and balling my eyes out.

Should also add the first time I watched it with her we were on the children's ward at the hospital with little lady really unwell.

Im a soppy bastard

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete