Wrestlemania 39

gmoney

Well, I loved that. 

Firstly, fair play to Snoop Dogg for improvising that finish when Shane got injured. That ended up being a lot of fun. 

Secondly, Gunther/Sheamus/McIntyre was probably my match of the night over both nights. I bloody loved that. I actually had more issues with them not putting the IC title on Sheamus than them not putting the main belts on Rhodes. That said, the match was so much fun that it's a minor gripe. 

The main event was also one hell of a match. I really enjoyed the surprise result as I just didn't see it coming. With Brodie Lee Jr and Cody's family at ringside, a Cody win felt inevitable throughout. I bloody loved the twist in the tale. Whether it's a bad decision or not very much depends on what's coming next, and the reason behind Roman retaining. Triple H, for me, hasn't really put a foot wrong when it comes to booking the big stuff, so I feel like he's earned the benefit of the doubt here. 

For me, over both nights, this was one of my all-time favourite Wrestlemanias, alongside 30 and 19. I'm honestly buzzing after watching that show, everything was so entertaining that the end result of the main event just didn't bother me. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Well, I loved that. 

For me, over both nights, this was one of my all-time favourite Wrestlemanias, alongside 30 and 19. I'm honestly buzzing after watching that show, everything was so entertaining that the end result of the main event just didn't bother me. 

GIF by South Park

• Paid Members

Presumably Cody is denied a rematch or gets screwed over on RAW in his rematch tonight, has to win the MITB and then does the announced cash-in for Summerslam. Which will be convoluted, and nowhere near as heated as if they just did the simple thing and had him win clean last night. 

24 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

GIF by South Park

Other than the result of the main event, I really don’t see how anyone could object to the quality of both nights. The match quality was great, everything felt massive and it was high drama throughout. Until we see what comes next, I don’t see what there is to object to. Maybe we will look back and think of this as a monumental mistake, but we’re not there yet. They’ve yet to put a foot wrong with Reigns and The Bloodline, I think they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt.

3 hours ago, Louch said:

IMG_7674.thumb.jpeg.0bd96690bb237744d09048e2e829946c.jpegIt’s his own fault for showing up in this and giving them the chance to do a nostalgia moment that Manias are built around. Next up will be the “if I don’t win the rematch ill never challenge for that title again” 😂

And when he inevitably loses, he'll go off and start a new promotion...

I predicted Reigns retaining, and I don't really mind - going against the grain and subverting expectations is what WWE does so well. I also don't think the Bloodline is done yet, so having one win/loss over the weekend helps maintain the storyline. 

Bron to be the one to beat Reigns - please.

Shane blowing his quad was both sad and hilarious in equal measure, god bless Snoop for saving the skit. It also goes to show how lucky Austin was last year given his age and time away from the ring, Shane really should pack it in.

Probably the best Mania of the past 10 years. Night 1>Night 2 though.

Regarding the main event result, I never committed to Cody winning or invested in it because at the back of my mind were those reports and leaks that Vince wanted Roman to hold one or both titles for as long as they could get away with it, WWE looking to hit 1000 days, the Summerslam pitch, Roman being on the ads for Backlash, compounded by Vince’s increasing creative ‘input’. 

I just had a feeling Roman would win based on all of the above.

Regarding Wrestlemania being the best- or most effective/climactic time for Cody to have won, I don’t exactly disagree, and I note the Lex Luger Summerslam 1993 comparisons made by Jim Cornette in the run up to the show (though I’m sure it’s been made better and elsewhere) and on here. Though I don’t believe that Cody’s story is done, the fast moving nature of the fan base or possibly those still harbouring resentment that Sami wasn’t in this match will mentally move on and find someone else to get behind. 

The effect of that being if Cody should win the title(s) it probably won’t mean the same as it would have a few hours ago.

Of course, there could be something that occurs tonight on RAW, Friday on Smackdown or on any of the PLE from now on that attempts to mitigate the feeling of disappointment I’m seeing online.

Edited by uklaw

Roman is the boss and I'm glad he's still champion.

Yes we've missed out on 3 incredible moments wirh Drew, Sami and Cody all Dalling short yet for me as who lapsed as a fan just before covid and only sporadically tune in - those 3 stories were strong enough to get me invested in as is the bloodline story without them.

If Drew beat Roman in September, we don't get the Sami or Cody chase.

And that's all i want from wrestling, something to be invested in and a reason to have hope. 

They pulled it back after Drew and pulled it back after Sami.... 

My days of watching PPVs whole (let alone live) are looooong over, but I've cherry-picked the stuff I fancied and have a few thoughts. 

Really enjoyed the battle of the Mysterios. Lots of heat and a good mix of lucha and sports entertainment. Felt like the first in a series and you'd think Rey/Bad Bunny against Dom/Priest (or a six-man involving Balor and a member of the new LWO) at Backlash in Puerto Rico would be the move. 

Charlotte/Rhea was great. Flair gets a lot of stick - and rightfully so - but she's the woman for the big occasion and gave Ripley her best match ever. Rhea is, of course, a star and somebody WWE should be building around for the next five years. Charlotte's post-match 'Damn, you got me!' was both hilarious and infuriating. 

Happy for Owens and Zayn and the tag match was the right choice to end night one. 

I really liked Brock/Omos. Nobody 'gets it' as much as Brock and WWE are really going to miss him when he's gone (which could be sooner than people think). Omos definitely has a bright future, if he can avoid injuries etc.

The IC Title triple threat was a blast and even more hard-hitting than expected. It was almost criminal to have Cole, Graves and Titus on commentary, though. I honestly wish there was a prime JR there to call the action for that one. 

Shane returning, immediately tearing his quad and Snoop Dogg saving the segment on the fly is fucking outstanding. 

Cody choking and losing to Roman after all that buildup was such a fucking downer. The crowd were ready, Cody was ready and Roman really doesn't have anyone else left to go through. If Cody wins it at Backlash on in Saudi it just won't have the same impact. 

So yeah, I might go back and watch some other stuff, like the Cell match, but nothing else really screams 'must-watch'. As usual, the spectacle and the production of it all was first-class, but I'm not sure I could sit through eight hours of it.