Wrestlemania 39

gmoney

• Paid Members

CM Punk’s out there shouting and screaming as he loudly scoffs his muffins, trying to destroy the company. Whereas Kevin Owens, a real gentleman, is sneakily eating a Snickers, trying not to bother anyone. The side eye as he tears the wrapper is hilarious. A top, top man. This is why he gets Wrestlemania main events and you don’t, Phil.

Edited by Supremo

Vinces little moustache at the HOF threatened to ruin Wrestlemania weekend for me, but thankfully Mania night 1 delivered huge. Charlotte and Ripley was fucking incredible. It really is incredible that those two Canadian boeys rocked the main event. Credit to Hunter for going with the people.

• Paid Members

That main was pitch perfect. Just stunning throughout and I don't think I have felt genuine happy emotion from wrestling as I did at the end there, especially seeing who I believe is Sami's wife in tears. 

Fantastic show from top to bottom with another tremendous showing from Logan Paul. It's right with what Cole said in that, you no longer see Logan as a celebrity, he genuinely feels like one of the roster.

Dom shithousing it up in the match was great and I presume the water throw spot is the one that was supposed to be on Smackers that they pulled after the MJF bit.

I'll be interested to see Dave's star rating for the first time ever when he seems to throw 5 stars out like smarties these days.

The only criticism I have, (and it's quite minor) is that there were 4 different Frog Splashes in 4 different matches (Montez, Logan, Rey and KO). Someone should be directing that shit. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

Wrestling Mania! Woo haa!

John Cena vs Austin Theory 

Fair play to John for not covering up his bald spot. Made me feel a lot better. But I'm more tanned than him and I only leave the flat once a week. A really solid opener, I'm not sure it will do for Theory what they hope though. I like him but he needs a manager.

4 team tag match

I've always loved multi-person clusterfucks like this so I think I'm more likely to enjoy this than most but I'm glad everyone else loved it. Overdelivered to ridiculous lengths and everyone was brilliant. Gable's Chaos Theory to Strowman was fucking stonking. I might watch it again in a bit.

Seth Rollins vs Logan Paul

I really expected it to be Jake Paul in that bottle. I don't know who KSI is. I didn't care, the spot at the end was outstanding. Logan Paul continues to be ridiculously good, the twat. Seth Rollins' entrance was perfect. A brilliant match, as expected.

6 woman tag match

As close to a dud as we got and not even that close. I was hoping Dakota and Iyo would turn on Bayley and make her babyface again but no. Trish looked like she could still go, but Lita has always been shite.

Rey vs Dominik

Dom's was maybe my favourite entrance since Rusev in his tank. Not only does he have a character to work with now but he actually looks decent in the ring. Rey's ring work is so good he could comfortably go another 5 years. Another belter.

Rhea Ripley vs Charlotte Flair

Look, Rhea's great, she really is. As a character and as a wrestler, she's got the lot. But this is why Charlotte's the greatest of all time. In the ring she just doesn't miss at all and the end stretch of this was some of the best stuff I've ever seen. Charlotte getting genuinely emotional towards the end because of how much she was putting into it and her genuine happiness at Rhea getting her moment was awesome to see. The best match of the night - imagine how much better it would have been if the build-up had been good?

Pat McAfee vs The Miz

It's the crack of dawn, go away. Snoop's stuff on the mic was very funny though.

The Usos vs Sami and Kevin

I'll be a slight dissenting voice here in that I think they overdid it with this match in terms of superkicks and false finishes to ridiculous degrees. But again, the character work and facial expressions were sublime. I just wish they could have found some other way to batter each other so that it was believable they'd keep kicking out. Still enjoyed it, but I was also flagging.

Just an excellent night though. Very glad I stayed up for it - not so much now, I'm going back to sleep.

• Paid Members

I watched the main event. First full WWE match I think I've watched since Zayn vs Knoxville, but wanted to check this out because it's insane that my old indie wrestling favourites are main eventing a Wrestlemania together, two guys I saw in Orpington in front of 200 people. Incredibly happy for them. Absolutely loved the PWG and Super Dragon tribute on their gear.

I watch WWE so rarely that whenever I do am always completely overwhelmed by the constant flashing lights, screens, graphics, adverts, camera cuts etc. Just an absolute assault on the sense with the still awful Michael Cole droning a stream of shite the whole time. I didn't love the match but am aware that I haven't been watching the story building up to it so don't have the emotional investment or background probably needed for a match like this and equally am just not a fan of the WWE main event style at all. Despite that how could I not smile from ear to ear seeing my boys from back in the day on top of the wrestling world? Beautiful. 

How much fun was that? I think I enjoyed every match, the only negative for me was all of the breaks in between matches, which occasionally ruined the pacing.

Even the six-woman tag match, which wasn’t brilliant as far as ring work goes, was a fun blast of nostalgia. 

The main event gave me goosebumps more than once. Owens and Zayn choosing to stay with WWE on expiry of their contracts has turned out to be an incredible decision for both men. Who’d have thought Owens would end up main eventing Wrestlemania two years in a row, and Zayn would have the meteoric rise that he has? I certainly didn’t.

Charlotte/Rhea was brilliant too, I can’t decide which match I enjoyed more; although they definitely got it right with the ordering. Rhea feels like a huge star, they’ve really done well at making her matter.

Rey/Dominic was exactly what I’d hoped it would be. The LWO stuff made me wonder if it was all a swerve, and Dominic would end up their leader; but apparently not, at least not for now. I’m guessing we’ll get a match between Dom and Bad Bunny at Backlash, which should be good fun. 

There’s probably no way night 2 can top, or even equal, this; but I’m absolutely buzzing to watch that show regardless.

• Paid Members

Saw loads of people online saying Charlotte gave away the finish of her match by coming to the ring with the Randy Orton Sulk Face, signifying she was doing the job.

Seems just as likely she was furious at the seamstress.

Considering the top class robes she normally wears, how the fuck did she end up walking out in Arsène Wenger’s coat?!

2C97FF0B-362C-48D4-9DE6-4CC86DE93B60.thumb.jpeg.363f1362c748e2b570eb8705c715a984.jpeg

F73F97F3-3D71-4C4F-98FF-3AF3EB37FBD3.jpeg.98003bc9e10a425caea4f35674883d05.jpeg

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Charlotte getting genuinely emotional towards the end because of how much she was putting into it and her genuine happiness at Rhea getting her moment was awesome to see.

I loved the show and the match but I can’t agree on this at all. She wasn’t happy for Rhea, she was doing her classic “oh look you got me” act after a loss to make herself look better when it just wasn’t that type of lucky win she wanted it to look. It was the act of an egomaniac who can’t take losing in pre-determined outcomes.

That might be my favourite wrestling show ever. Seriously.

It was just consistently fun and brilliant.

I cried at Cena’s entrance. A combination of the make-a-wish stuff always hitting me hard, and Cena’s aging a reminder that my youth is a distant memory.

If Triple Paul doesn’t have Logan Paul and Dominik Mysterio down on Cody’s list of title feuds, he’s lost his mind.

The main event was brilliant; at times it felt oddly paced, but really played on the idea something was really up and it might be falling apart. The pop at the end was insane.

I feel for people who don’t see the WWE’s pomp, pageantry and absurdness as the height of the wrestling artform; as when it’s this good, there’s literally nothing better.

Good grief. Incredible.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I won’t waste time repeating what everyone has said, it was all fantastic. 
What I will say though is just how much Dominic looked like his Dad when he had the mask on.

1 minute ago, FelatioLips said:

What I will say though is just how much Dominic looked like his Dad when he had the mask on.

One thing I hadn't really noticed (or maybe just not paid attention to) until last night was Doms mullet.

I'm assuming this is a nod to his real Dad?