Wrestlemania 39

gmoney

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where they wouldn't have known, but if you're in charge of editing something like that for a global brand in 2023, I expect you're carefully itemising clearances for every piece of third-party footage used - and in doing so, surely you couldn't help but encounter details of what it actually is?

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where they wouldn't have known, but if you're in charge of editing something like that for a global brand in 2023, I expect you're carefully itemising clearances for every piece of third-party footage used - and in doing so, surely you couldn't help but encounter details of what it actually is?

I can give some background on this -

In this case - the majority of the prison-related images in that sequence are from stock footage sources. I believe WWE have subscriptions to portals such as Getty Images and Shutterstock - both of those examples have an enormous library of stock images and footage. There are some other free sources, but the sites I mentioned will have readily available broadcast-quality material available to download instantly as part of their subscription. 

In this case, the Auschwitz image in question looks to me like a still image which has received heavy treatment in post-production. There is movement in the shot and an additional filter applied, but this will have all been added in the editing process. There's a mixture in the Dom-prison edit of footage and images, again all of which will be stock material. 

I think what's happened in this case is that someone has conducted an image search for prison-related shots and it's entirely possible the clip hasn't been labelled as an Auschwitz-specific image. It probably shows up in the image meta-data, but unless you click and scroll through that it's quite easy to miss. It's possible this image will have been labelled as something like 'Prison - Exterior' or something of that ilk. I did a quick search on Shutterstock and some this is definitely the case for some Auschwitz-related material (although I couldn't find that specific shot in question), at least in the non-paid European version. 

During the clearance process, the sign off procedures typically relate to things like sponsorship conflicts (i.e boring stuff like an athlete being sponsored by, say, Nike, but they are training in Adidas clothing) or things like gratuitous violence and other controversial material (not to suggest this isn't controversial!) that might put sponsors/networks etc off. 

In this case, both the editor and the post-production manager signing off on the content have had a shocker - the editor has failed to look at the meta-data and clearly doesn't have an in-depth knowledge of what the location looks like, so although not a deliberate mistake, a pretty costly one. The post-production manager has probably asked for three/four revisions before it's been ready to go out onto TV and is arguably more at fault than the editor in this case for failing to spot it. The image is only displayed on screen quite briefly - it's possibly that rather than keep a close eye on the stock imagery, they've focussed more how their own content has been shot and presented and things like the overall duration of the edit, are the audio levels suitable for broadcast, are there any glitches that need tidying up in the visual effects, etc. But again, they clearly have no knowledge of the location - they'll have heard of it but probably wouldn't clock every part of it. 

...They'll have definitely both been sacked at this point. I don't think it's a malicious attempt to promote Dom. Incredibly careless, but not malicious.

• 2 weeks later...