Wrestlemania 39

gmoney

For all wrestling can be enjoyable for shocks and surprises, sometimes you just have to go with the obvious and what feels right and Cody standing tall completing the story (or that chapter at least) as champ to close the show was the absolute right time and right outcome but they opted to piss it away. You don’t get that same momentum, reaction and sense of history down the line at ‘WWE Saudi Sports(entertainment) Washing’ or whatever it’s called. You don’t get it at SummerSlam even. And trying to stretch it to WM40 seems unthinkable as well as unnecessary.

I‘m trying to get my head around the idea of keeping Reigns going as champ to create something new that we're not used to in the modern age but the 1980s/1990s wrestling fan in me says ‘give the masses what they want, what they came to see and send them home happy’.

The booking of the whole match up to, but not including, the final 3 seconds of that match has been nothing short of masterful with so many interwoven pieces to it. 

Not enjoyed a show/shows like that in a long time but the ending left me feeling flat.

Just my take of course.

More I think about it, this isn’t the ending of Cody’s hero story, it’s his villain arc. With Roman leaving they are a bad guy territory on the whole, they need a new top heel and he has a justified reason for turning now that he couldn’t get the job done following the rules. He is Homelander, why would he be the hero? 

• Paid Members

Oh dear.

Brock Lesnar vs Omos

You can trust Brock to get a decent match out of that useless fucker but fair play to Omos for bumping for him, because those suplexes must hurt even more like a bastard when you're as big as him.

Women's four team match

They tried to replicate the magic of the night before but, obviously, it was never going to happen. Raquel Rodriguez looked miles better than anyone else though. Did Ronda did anything other than get the pin? Nice work if you can get it!

Gunther vs Drew McIntyre vs Sheamus

Everything I hoped it would be and more. I genuinely lost it when they were slapping each other in turns, delirious laughter. What a brilliant match and predictably at least the second best of the weekend. Lovely to see such love for Sheamus as well, thoroughly deserved. Gunther's entrance was fucking sensational as well. One day all wrestling will be as good as this.

Bianca Belair vs Asuka

Well they had to follow *that* and they couldn't quite manage it but what an excellent match anyway. I feel like they've got a better match in them than this but even these two not quite at their best are a treat. Love them both, enjoyed this loads.

Shane / Snoop vs The Miz

Worth it to finally see Shane McMahon's wrestling career come to an end in the only way fitting for a McMahon - tearing quads embarrassingly on a pay-per-view. Absolutely hilarious.

Edge vs Finn Balor

Overdelivered and then some. Balor actually showing some semblance of character at last and the bit where he was locked against the cage was excellent. Wouldn't have minded if this had gone on longer tbh.

Roman Reigns vs Cody Rhodes

Well, where to even start. The positives were the entrances and the match quality, which was absolutely top drawer. Heyman yelling at Reigns to smash him and then weakly following it with "My tribal chief!" was one of the moments of the weekend. The crowd were sensational and were actually great all weekend.

The result? I can see the logic in it. Like I've said, WWE had this dilemma of where Reigns goes if he loses and he's far and away the biggest star in wrestling and the best in the world. They've also got an unresolved overarching storyline that has legs to go and if he walks away then it just stops. So I get it, I really do.

The way they went about it though was disappointing. The cleverness in it being Solo who delivered the shot was very, very good, nobody can deny that. That was a side-issue they built up smartly. But having the Usos help Reigns out instead of sowing seeds of dissent is the biggest disappointment. I'm not *as* bothered about Cody losing as I am about this storyline not progressing as it should. That part didn't make sense. However, they've found an answer every step of the way here and I'm sure they will again.

The only way they can make up for not cashing in with Cody now is for them to rematch at next year's Wrestlemania. I do think they could build Cody back up to that level again - it will be hard but if they keep him busy with Solo for a while and then find another big feud, maybe with a returning Orton, they could get him through to winning the Rumble again and going again. I'd actually like that because I love long term storytelling in wrestling.

But it still felt like it was the time. Weirdly though, I actually trust they'll fix this. A year ago, no fucking chance.

On the plus side, at least Cody wasn't feeding any ducks in his promo videos.

• Paid Members

I think that’s a very balanced and fair reflection of the main event and all the ramifications @Devon Malcolm. 

I feel the same about Wrestlemania 40 as well - maybe that’s the time to pull the trigger. Get another 12 months out of the Bloodline, put Reigns front and centre while all this sale stuff goes through, then maybe the 40th Wrestlemania is when the torch finally gets passed. It’s also easy to forget that Cody’s only technically had 5/6 PPV matches since returning and only one real main event - and as DM said, part of the reason I believe there’s mileage and I don’t feel deflated about it is that I actually DO think they’ve got the capability to turn this all into a positive in the long term. 

Maybe, just maybe, the pop in Philly if they run the rematch after another 12 months of build will be even more epic. We can’t conceive it now because it’s so far away - but so much can and will happen between now and then. 

Another element I’ve been thinking of - this Bloodline saga has made main eventers out Jey, Jimmy, Sami, Kevin and Cody, it’s also catapulted Solo into that kind of stratosphere now after last night, and Roman is now leaving a massive legacy in his own right. In 12 months, even more players could be added to the mix. Maybe he defends both titles on both nights and makes TWO new guys to pass the torch to as opposed to just Cody. Maybe Seth Rollins - who deserves a crack at the top again - gets the Universal title and Cody finally takes the WWE title. Maybe Gunther becomes a made man - he’s such a hard-hitting star he might actually be a great catalyst to help spearhead the new hybrid operation because he’s such a genuinely physical bastard. God forbid they consider a cunt like Riddle as someone who has both UFC and WWE on his resume but who knows. 

Having said all of this, Roman will now lose the titles to Shane McMahon when he recovers from his injury setback. 

53 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Triple H apparently opening Raw tonight. He’s brave - could be in for a frosty reception!

Nah it’s his first on camera appearance I think since he opened Night 2 last year (I may be wrong), he’ll get a monster pop as per

Seen it posted that Cody and Roman are facing off again tonight in a tag match, with Cody having a mystery partner so maybe that’s the start to build a rematch for Backlash in Puerto Rico on May 6th

• Paid Members

Well, I thought Cody was winning that 100%. It felt nailed on from the Rumble. The match was absolutely sensational, for me it was the strongest Mania main event in God knows how many years. It played out almost exactly as we all expected every step of the way, including the run-ins, and I was totally bought into that finishing sequence with Cody winning with the triple Cross Rhodes. So I was so shocked and stunned by what happened next. I felt gutted as the ref counted that fall. I even let out a big 'Noooo!'

And here's the thing... I fucking love that I felt that way watching wrestling again. I haven't really given a fuck about the outcome of a WrestleMania main event in the last ten years. I've been interested at times, but never emotionally drawn into it. This one got me and I just love that it did. I can't stay mad about Roman retaining because he is just the fucking greatest thing they've had in a generation and there is still plenty of life in the Bloodline story.

Still, as much as I am loving Roman's title reign, I am gutted for Cody. I hope there's a plan for him.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Nah it’s his first on camera appearance I think since he opened Night 2 last year (I may be wrong), he’ll get a monster pop as per

Seen it posted that Cody and Roman are facing off again tonight in a tag match, with Cody having a mystery partner so maybe that’s the start to build a rematch for Backlash in Puerto Rico on May 6th

Rumours are that Bron Breakker and Jay White are debuting tonight (assuming Jay White has signed). Maybe they do a six man with Cody, KO & Sami Vs Roman and the Usos? 

48 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I could see them doing a cage match between Reigns and Cody at Backlash, to try to negate the influence and interference of the Bloodline. Cody says he would have beaten Reigns if Solo had not interfered and Cody has to beat Solo (again) to get the stipulation.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The way they went about it though was disappointing. The cleverness in it being Solo who delivered the shot was very, very good, nobody can deny that. That was a side-issue they built up smartly. But having the Usos help Reigns out instead of sowing seeds of dissent is the biggest disappointment. I'm not *as* bothered about Cody losing as I am about this storyline not progressing as it should. That part didn't make sense. However, they've found an answer every step of the way here and I'm sure they will again.

This was something I pondered whilst doing my traditional re-watch yesterday evening.

With an 80 yard ramp, you could easily have shown the Usos heading down to the ring (having been beckoned by Heyman) and then had them intercepted by Owens & Zayn from the other side without it seeming overly contrived. That way, there's still the doubt about if they would have come out without being summoned, or what they'd have done when they got there.

I think the Usos inteference was as much about Sami giving Roman a Helluva Kick in front of the crowd without it seeming in any way heelish. Dunno yet if they've tried to play it as Cody being screwed on Raw, or if this will be referred to if they do,  but when it comes down to it BOTH competitors in the match got hit with two finishers from two interfering parties. 50/50, play on.

Great weekend (plus the ups and downs after night 1 was funny as anything) but the card for WM40 should be 

night 1 McIntyre vs Sheamus vs Gunther for the undisputed championship last man standing

if there’s any time left on night 2 throw another match in.

• Paid Members

One takeaway I'd highly recommend from the weekend - I didn't watch any of the shows live. I watched them all the following morning/following day 'as live' and spoiler free. As a result I felt fresh as a daisy and it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the shows whatsoever - if anything it probably enhanced my enjoyment because I didn't feel like absolute death afterwards from lack of sleep. 

It's the first year I've done that for the whole weekend - last year I think I stayed up for night one and as a result I was fucked for Night Two and only caught the main event the following day and wound up binning the rest. 

I'm 34 now so I'm not as sprightly or as much of a night owl as I used to be. Also we've got new sheets and they are wonderful - like sleeping in clouds - which probably help as well. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

One takeaway I'd highly recommend from the weekend - I didn't watch any of the shows live. I watched them all the following morning/following day 'as live' and spoiler free. As a result I felt fresh as a daisy and it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the shows whatsoever - if anything it probably enhanced my enjoyment because I didn't feel like absolute death afterwards from lack of sleep. 

It's the first year I've done that for the whole weekend - last year I think I stayed up for night one and as a result I was fucked for Night Two and only caught the main event the following day and wound up binning the rest. 

I'm 34 now so I'm not as sprightly or as much of a night owl as I used to be. Also we've got new sheets and they are wonderful - like sleeping in clouds - which probably help a well. 

I did exactly the same and as a not-so sprightly 34 year old also, I would recommend it too. Plus, watching it afterwards, you can skip 10 seconds ahead and miss all of the adverts for tax guff. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've not watched live PPVs for many years now, that's a mug's game. With Mania I avoid spoilers and watch both shows the following evening and that way even the wife joins me and she quite enjoys it as annual event.

When I think back to what I was like in my twenties I think I must have been a fucking lunatic to stay so committed. I'd watch all shows live then get up for work on less than three hours sleep. The stupidest thing is, I'd do that every single week for Raw!