Wrestlemania 39

gmoney

Personally glad that Roman retained. As much as I think Cody has done a good job in the last year he's still got an AEW mid card stink. The guy who was trading a title with Sammy Guevara 18 months ago should not be the one to defeat Reigns. Loved Graves' line about how Cody realises to be the elite in this business you need to climb to the top of WWE

Edited by Rockbus2

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Rockbus2 said:

Personally glad that Roman retained. As much as I think Cody has done a good job in the last year he's still got an AEW mid card stink. The guy who was trading a title with Sammy Guevara 18 months ago should not be the one to defeat Reigns. Loved Graves' line about how Cody realises to be the elite in this business you need to climb to the top of WWE

In the last 18 months Cody has been given the full, bonafide, top tier babyface treatment by WWE, put over against Seth Rollins three times in prominent PLE matches, including when his tit was in tatters, given the ‘Beautiful Day’ treatment ahead of his return at the Royal Rumble, he WON the Royal Rumble and has been front and centre of the promotion of their biggest show of the year, featured as a key player in the main event of said event, and despite the controversy over the booking decision he has in no way been presented as any sort of chump. 

The notion of any kind of AEW stink now is pure ignorance and completely unjust. 

28 minutes ago, Rockbus2 said:

Sorry but no. What about Cody since his return has had AEW "mid card stink" about him AT ALL? They haven't booked him like an AEW reject or a mid card guy or anything whatsoever. He was pushed as a top guy immediately when he came back. Protected. All of it.

44 minutes ago, Rockbus2 said:

You should try watching with the mute button off. 

• Paid Members

One of the saddest things about Cody inevitably becoming the typical failed WWE babyface over the next six months will be people trying to argue it proves he never had it, or wasn’t the guy, or always had a, “stink,” about him. When none of it is true at all.

He had it. He was the guy. There was no stink. But then they bottled it, he failed on the biggest stage, and now will inevitably  become another chump, smiling through the booing.

But it didn’t have to be that way. It wasn’t that way. Until they made it that way. The woooooaaaaoooahs would have been deafening for years to come if he’d took Roman’s head off and raised those belts aloft.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The woooooaaaaoooahs would have been deafening for years to come if he’d took Roman’s head off and raised those belts aloft.

Not disputing the overall sentiment of your post, but I'm not having this part. I know you're prone to an emotional exaggeration, but 'deafening for years to come' is nonsense. With stories like Cody's it's all about the chase. I wanted him to win too, but I'm not sure he'd have sustained anything like the reactions he was getting on the way to WrestleMania over the course of the months to come. I could have seen him becoming a divisive champion quite quickly.

I’m not sure Cody’s pre-existing stink matters after Mania. Arguing about whether he has AEW stink after that is like arguing about what perfume someone’s wearing after they’ve had 3 tonnes of liquidised horse shit dumped on their heads. It doesn’t matter.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’m not sure Cody’s pre-existing stink matters after Mania. Arguing about whether he has AEW stink after that is like arguing about what perfume someone’s wearing after they’ve had 3 tonnes of liquidised horse shit dumped on their heads. It doesn’t matter.

In the world of people who believe in AEW Stink the liquidised horseshit is perfectly acceptable. 

• Paid Members

Cody never had an AEW Stink, if anything, in AEW, Cody had a WWE stink. He stood out as a 'Superstar' in a sea full of wrestlers. He was tailor made for WWE, the suits, the talking in verses, the catchphrases and buzzwords, the man is a walking cliché of what WWE want from their top guy. It's just a shame that he didn't get his crowning moment.

Just because they didn't stick the landing, it can't be said they didn't do a fantastic job of getting him there. 

The 'stink' stuff is all bollocks anyway and is made up from the tribalistic folk that still think there is this war between two TV shows on two different nights of the week. Enjoy it, it's wrestling for bloody hells sake and contrary to popular opinion, you can pick and choose certain bits you like from whichever show on whichever day of the week you like.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Just because they didn't stick the landing,, it can't be said they didn't do a fantastic job of getting him there. 

Here's the thing though, if you don't stick the landing you don't win so it is all for nothing. Gymnastics, ski jumping, and any other sport you care to mention that involves having to land then if you don't land then you have fucked it. They've fucked it. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Stupidity

• Paid Members

Just rewatching the main event. It’s feels apparent  that the plan is to do have Mania 40 be Cody/Reigns 2. Based on Raw they are repeating the beats of Rock/Cena. That matched was hyped as once in a lifetime. People were hyped. It was their version of Rock/Hogan. Then it became clear that this Once in a Lifetime was actually bollocks. The next Wrestlemania with the rubber match had far less of the momentum and eagerness of their first match, and I have no doubt this will go the same way. Deminishing returns.