Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

This would be one for the "Christ they're still alive thread", but I thought he was already dead for some reason.

Guy had a hit record in 2021. That’s a hell of a career!

I still think his 1999 set at v Glastonbury is one of the great performances.  Absolute mudpit after 3 days of rain, he comes in immaculate in his dinner suit and does 2 hours of American Songbook classics all related to the weather.

For me, he had the best voice of any of the crooners - huge power and effortless range.  I have a CD called Bennet Sings, Basie Swings which is pretty much the bomb.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

1631m

Ronaldo will break that record in about a year's time.

• Paid Members

That fucking sucks. It's certainly possible I'm misremembering, but I believe I started the Chris Bart-Williams as meme on this forum, or at least I think I was the first to name him, as he was my go to footballer in those threads that get hijacked with random ones. I picked him because he was my favourite player on Championship Manager 93/94. He'd score magnificent goals for fun, and in that way that you develop affinity for players in real life when they've been good on Champ Man, I always followed him after that. Terribly sad news.

• Paid Members

It's not very often that 'celebrity' or sportspersons deaths affect me too much, but being a Wednesday fan of a certain vintage, both Tricky Trev and the Bartman were a big part of my youth and early days as a Wednesday fan. Without Trev, we Wednesday fans wouldn't have too much glory to cling on to and throw across the city at our noisy neighbours and Bart-Williams was fantastic value to watch at games.

Both will be sorely missed.