Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Paul Reubens, better known as Peewee Herman has passed away at the age of 70.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna97343

Great minds think alike. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Really bummed about Paul Reubens. Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure was one of my favourite films growing up and Pee Wee always cracked me up when he turned up on things like Raw.

I wasn’t the target audience by the time it came out but the most recent Pee Wee film was something I was excited about and enjoyed. As others have said he was a blast in things like Mystery Men too. 

A real shame, he’ll be missed.

• Paid Members

My first exposure to Pee Wee was the film Big Top Pee Wee which BSB must have been showing on their Movie channel. It was only a few years later that Nickelodeon started showing Pee Wee’s Playhouse and I enjoyed it even though I was a bit too old for it, I found it really funny. Between that I saw him cameo in things like music videos but had no real idea who he was, but loved his stuff.

Pee Wee’s Big Holiday i really enjoyed and felt didn’t get the credit it deserved. Of course, his best film was Big Adventure which I only saw for the first time a few years ago, but has already been watched multiple times as it’s so so good. His HBO special, when he bought back playhouse is also worth a watch.

Fun fact, his character dying in the film Buddy the Vampire Slayer was used as the sound of the production company at the end of every episode of Buffy the TV show.

rip Pee Wee.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
Pun not intended

• Paid Members

I didnt think they ever showed Playhouse in the UK, I never saw it or heard about it. I did see (and love) Big Adventure though and that was one of the movies as a kid I would rewatch on vhs constantly.

The broadway show from ten years ago had an awesome light effect / set reveal to kick off the show. Would have been great to see it live, the crowd go mental for it.

32 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Not a name I'm familiar with, but Euphoria star Angus Cloud, aged 25. 25! Fucking hell.

A week after burying his Dad. Poor lad.

Man that's tough, I really liked him in Euphoria and thought he had a coolness about him that made him stand out from many actors.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Rob Lowe said:

I didnt think they ever showed Playhouse in the UK, I never saw it or heard about it. 

As far as I know, it was only when Nickelodeon launched in the UK that it was first on UK TV. Certainly the only place I ever saw it and that would have been 93/4 ish. Considering when it was first aired in the US it was much later, a good 3 or 4 years after it had finished infact. I knew I’d seen the Cowboy somewhere else, but didn’t know until years later that it was Lawrence Fishbourne.

• Paid Members

Angus Cloud was one of those actors who you thought would have a massive future playing characters that weren't going to be the stereotypical, everything's good lead roles. There was a sense of vulnerability to Fez that he just seemed to nail and he was one of the main reasons I found Euphoria so compelling.

He had only just turned 25 and as mentioned in the last week or so had buried his Dad who by all reports he was incredibly close to. It's gutting that he just appeared to see no way forward without him.

He's going to always be one of those actors for me now that I'll wonder just how far his career could have gone.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As far as I know, it was only when Nickelodeon launched in the UK that it was first on UK TV. Certainly the only place I ever saw it and that would have been 93/4 ish.

This was all I knew about Pee Wee Herman for years. I didn't have sky or cable at home but I saw this round a mates house and thought it was complete shite. When I would hear people saying years later he'd done films and they were very fondly thought of I felt very confused. Looking back, it wasn't shite, it's good fun, I was just a bit of a moody cunt and wanted to watch California Dreams or Rocco's Modern Life instead. I've still never watched any of the films, but Paul Rubens was always great when he turned up in stuff. The ep of 30 Rock he's in is amazing. 

Edited by gmoney