Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

My favourite author. Obviously mostly known for The Road, No Country For Old Men and Blood Meridian but Suttree is probably my favourite of his books. It's pretty much as perfect as books can be. Tells you everything you ever needed to know about the human condition. 

How surely are the dead beyond death. Death is what the living carry with them. A state of dread, like some uncanny foretaste of a bitter memory. But the dead do not remember and nothingness is not a curse. Far from it.

RIP

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Loki said:

I actually couldn't finish The Crossing, I found it so sad.  A great author but sometimes not an easy read.

The Crossing has one of the saddest endings I've ever read. McCarthy had a knack for really nailing the heartbreak and pain of loneliness in his writing.

• Awards Moderator

That’s very sad news. Loved McCarthy’s writing style, felt poetic and suited whatever subject he was writing about. The Road is my favourite of his, I read most of it in one sitting and I felt like I couldn’t breathe for most of the second half. A beautifully structured heartbreaking literary gutpunch. RIP.

• Paid Members

Heck of an artist. He and Jack Kirby will have been cornerstones of some comic fans' childhoods. 

• Paid Members

I'm not much of a comic book guy these days, but every now and then I'll buy collections of Marvel stuff from the '60s to the '80s, especially Spider-Man or X-Men, as they were my real gateway into comics as a kid. 

Some of the most iconic bits of Spider-Man art I could ever think of are Romita's. His covers were fantastic, and you just can't beat this image as a classic Marvel bit:

EmI9oqqX0AAaj9o?format=jpg&name=large

A lot of the characters, concepts and visuals we'd most identify with Spider-Man came about during Romita's run.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65904644

Former Chelsea footballer and legend John Hollins

That was reported this morning RIPete, are your equitvalent of the jungle drums broken? The morgue marimba perhaps. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

That was reported this morning RIPete, are your equitvalent of the jungle drums broken? The morgue marimba perhaps. 

Death rattle, surely?

• Paid Members

Romita has discussed in interviews that he started his run with Marvel trying to carry on Spider-man in Kirbys style but his second run, when he started to bring in his own look changed Spider-man's look and feel and is as iconic as anything the character ever did. 

I mean... 

lf.jpeg

Probably one of the most important comic book artists of all time and, if the stories coming out about are true, a true gent who couldn't do enough for the upcoming artists that followed him. 

Edited by chokeout