Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

That's turned on the blubber works for yours truly. An absolutely singular talent and personality. Mad as a bag of spiders as we say around these parts. And bollocks if that can be taken the wrong way, she was. Ordained as a priest, put out a fucking rastafari roots album, then went Islam. There's not many gears she didn't go through. 

spacer.png

Those Norwegian D&D sadacts couldn't hope to pull off a more rock & roll move. 

Sleep easy. 

• Paid Members
On 7/24/2023 at 10:12 PM, Frankie Crisp said:

Not appropriate to post a photo given his long-standing status on here as a meme, but Chris Bart-Williams has died at 49.

He'll be remembered fondly on this forum and by his brother, Chris. 49 is so young. 

That Sinead O"Connor passing is totally unexpected. 

It can never be understated the massive pair of ladyballs it took to rip up a picture of the pope on prime time TV and the uproar it caused in 1990s Ireland, just a fucking incredible move.

So fill to me the parting glass

And drink a health whate'er befalls

Then gently rise and softly call

Good night and joy be to you all.

Edited by poetofthedeed

Well, that's an absolute gutter.

Sinead O'Connor was such a talented, beautiful and flawed performer. And I don't mean that as a knock at all. Her flaws made her interesting and engaging, as did her pointing out the flaws in others and rallying against the wider injustices she came up against. 

Lots of great songs, but I've always had a soft spot for this, which I first heard on the In The Name of the Father soundtrack. 

RIP. 

Edited by SaitoRyo

19 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

It can never be understated the massive pair of ladyballs it took to rip up a picture of the pope on prime time TV and the uproar it caused in 1990s Ireland, just a fucking incredible move.

More in America really especially given the reaction of fellow artists. It utterly derailed her career over there. Kris Kristofferson deserves all the credit in the world for how he comforted her after they booed her off of the Dylan concert.

A wonderful voice. I was glad when her last two albums got all the praise. She was a true unique artist the likes of which we might never see again

Randy Meisner, original bassist of the Eagles has died:

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/jul/27/randy-meisner-the-eagles-dies

I know its pretty cool to hate the Eagles, but I have a big old soft spot for them. Meisner didn’t have lead vocal on many songs, though he had a unique voice and exceptional range, as shown on “Take it to the limit”:

RIP. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Randy Meisner, original bassist of the Eagles has died:

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/jul/27/randy-meisner-the-eagles-dies

I know its pretty cool to hate the Eagles, but I have a big old soft spot for them. Meisner didn’t have lead vocal on many songs, though he had a unique voice and exceptional range, as shown on “Take it to the limit”:

RIP. 

I didn't know it was cool to hate on The Eagles either, but if that's what it takes to be cool, then I'm glad to be a square. I love The Eagles. Meisner on "Take it to the limit" is so far and away the most superior version of the song. 

I think a lot of people joke about them only playing the hits and never having new material. I couldn't care less when the hits are as good as theirs. I saw them last year in Dublin (well, the existing lineup) and they were fantastic. Henley and Walsh still put in a brilliant performance that night. 

RIP Randy. I've probably deafened many a poor bird while trying to sing along to you in the car. 

I've seen it being a thing outside the Big Lebowski alright. It's boomer music, isn't it. Your dad's turgid cocaine millionaire music. It's probably more of a sentiment on the other side of the pond than it is over here. 

I fucking love the Eagles. Meisner was always a favourite of mine, he just seemed way too nice to be in a band with Frey and Henley - which was his undoing.

Almost hard to believe how short of a period he was actually in the band for though. I know it was fairly common back then, but truly a phenomenal output to release an album a year for 5 years and have it be your best work.

Understandably ‘Take It to the Limit’ gets all the praise, superb song and performance by him (I must’ve watched the Capitol Centre performance hundreds of times over the years). However, during a particularly bad breakup years ago, as sad and cliche as it sounds it was ‘Try and Love Again’ that helped me so much - I had it on a repeat about 10-15 times at one point. Just a beautiful voice he had. Timothy B. Schmit could never.

Poor bloke had an absolutely torrid time in his final years though. Ended up in a coma from choking of food (thus missing being part of an Eagles tour), then there were massive accusations of his wife drugging him daily to keep him sedated, then he witnessed his wife accidentally kill herself with a shotgun and finally he was sectioned on mental health and potential suicide grounds.