Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

Ah man. I love Friedkin. 87 is no bad innings, but I swear I saw a video of him at a recent Q&A type deal and he looked as vibrant as ever. 

As @SuperBacon said, he leaves behind an incredible body of work. The French Connection is tremendous. The Exorcist is a genuine masterpiece. I have a lot of time for To Live and Die in LA, which is a great bit of action-filled 1980s neo-noir. Cruising is very interesting contextually, if not necessarily a great film. Bug is a gem. Killer Joe was overlooked and really deserved a bit more attention. I remember enjoying bits of The Guardian (silly as it is), as well as Jade and Rampage. 

Have yet to see Sorcerer, which is criminal, really, but I'll remedy that sooner than later.

On top of being an excellent filmmaker, he also just seemed like a really interesting bloke. Always forthcoming with his opinions, often right about stuff. Perhaps a tad abrasive in his heyday, but weren't they all?

I haven't read his autobiography, but I did read a bio on him called Hurricane Billy several years ago and would recommend it for people especially wanting to know more about his earlier stuff. 

• Paid Members

Worth tracking down the audio book of his book if you can (it's sadly not on Audible any more) as its fucking hilarious. Matter of fact descriptions of lewd sex acts in gay clubs while researching Cruising are probably the highlight, but it's all gold. A true filmmaker. 

• Paid Members

The Exorcist is probably the best film ever made. But on top of that he made a bunch of other really, really great stuff. A totally brilliant and uncompromising and fearless filmmaker. We'll never see his like again.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The Exorcist is probably the best film ever made.

Finally, confirmation that Mark Kermode is a 'keffer.

I'm gutted about this one. Friedkin was a top notch filmmaker and storyteller. As mentioned, even during recent appearances he still seemed so full of life. A huge loss to cinema.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

DJ Casper has cha cha died.

Just one time? 

Sad news about Friedkin, a good director.  Reading some of the obits, I saw mentioned a film of his I've not seen called "To Live and Die in L.A" which sounds pretty insane so that's getting a watch.

And presumably was where L.A.X got their catchphrase?

3 hours ago, Loki said:

Sad news about Friedkin, a good director.  Reading some of the obits, I saw mentioned a film of his I've not seen called "To Live and Die in L.A" which sounds pretty insane so that's getting a watch.

It's on YouTube. Saw that thanks to D-Mal on Twitter, keeping the film flag flying high :)

11 hours ago, Loki said:

I always thought that was a 2Pac reference. I’ve never seen To Live and Die In LA so you could well be right