Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, gmoney said:

This was all I knew about Pee Wee Herman for years. I didn't have sky or cable at home but I saw this round a mates house and thought it was complete shite. When I would hear people saying years later he'd done films and they were very fondly thought of I felt very confused. Looking back, it wasn't shite, it's good fun, I was just a bit of a moody cunt and wanted to watch California Dreams or Rocco's Modern Life instead. I've still not never watch any of the films, but Paul Rubens was always great when he turned up in stuff. The ep of 30 Rock he's in is amazing. 

PeeWee’s Big Adventure is a genuinely good film and not really anything like the Playhouse. I believe it was Tim Burton’s first feature length film. If you ever get the chance I would try and watch it. Really fun movie.

20 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I was just a bit of a moody cunt and wanted to watch California Dreams

To be fair, there's seldom a moment I wouldn't rather be doing that today.

• Paid Members

Or Hang Time. There were plenty of those types of shows turned up to fill the power vacuum left following the end of Saved By The Bell.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Man that's tough, I really liked him in Euphoria and thought he had a coolness about him that made him stand out from many actors.

I'd just started watching Euphoria on Sunday - am only one episode in, and he stands out massively.

Either way, he was 25 years old, for fuck's sake. No age at all.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Fun fact, his character dying in the film Buddy the Vampire Slayer was used as the sound of the production company at the end of every episode of Buffy the TV show.

Not meaning to be a dick here, but I don't think this is true - I was like 'oh wow, that's cool, I had no idea' and looked into it, and it looks like the Mutant Enemy thing was done by Whedon.

But here's one to put in its place - the wig he wore in that was based on his own mugshot. Amazing stuff. And considering the scandal over his arrest, he did pretty well for himself afterwards. First thing I remember seeing him in was playing the Penguin's Dad in Batman Returns, so looks like a few people rallied around him at the time to help him do some different stuff.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Chris B said:

First thing I remember seeing him in was playing the Penguin's Dad in Batman Returns

Now this I did not realise. Will have to watch back now.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

...obviously best known for Pee Wee Herman, but I always enjoyed seeing him pop up in other projects like Batman Returns.

Voiced Captain R3x in Star Tours too.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Now this I did not realise. Will have to watch back now.

I never realised this too, I was aware he played Penguins father in Gotham(great show if people haven’t watched it btw) so I thought he might have mixed the two up but I just checked and there he is! 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

If any celebrity needed Thunderplex to do his “special salute” to commemorate their passing, it’s Paul Reubens.

Only ladies of a respectable age, I am a gentleman after all.

• Paid Members

I only knew of Pee Wee Herman through one of the kids in (Kurt Russell / Goldie Hawn comedy) Overboard does impressions of him, and then the subsequent arrest, for which the only reference I had at the time for that kind of theatre was An American Werewolf in London.

I also thought he was the worst thing in Flight of The Navigator.

Sorry, went a little bit Lance Storm there.

A real shame about Adrian Street as there's been a resurgence of interest in him lately and he's been doing interviews.