Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

9 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

If you haven’t watched Searching For Sugar Man then do yourself a favour. 

Those first two albums are brilliant too. 

Ah, that's another shitter right there. I saw the documentary at the Tyneside Cinema and absolutely loved it. Watched it a couple more times after and then went to see the man himself at The Sage. 

You're right, the first two albums are absolutely wonderful. 

RIP. 

• Paid Members

Ah man, that sucks.

I was lucky enough to see Rodriguez live a few times, and he was absolutely brilliant. 

The first time was at a festival in Jersey, and it was after Searching For Sugarman had come out, but before it had really picked up steam, so I don't think most of the audience knew who he was, and it was easy to get front row. I had vaguely heard of him from a South African mate when I was younger, and then a couple of my friends got really into him not long before the movie came out, so I heard a lot of his stuff, but didn't know what to expect live - he shuffled on stage with a carrier bag, said "I'd recognise a South African accent anywhere" (whether he actually heard one, or a Jersey accent which, to the untrained ear, sounds pretty much the same, I don't know), and then took off into the first song and absolutely killed it. An incredible performer.

The last time I saw him, again in Jersey, was at a film festival. They screened Searching For Sugarman, and advertised a "surprise musical guest". It was obviously going to be him, but it would have been a bit of a spoiler for anyone seeing the film for the first time and not knowing the story if he had been billed as showing up. He did a Q&A and an acoustic set, and there was a South African woman in the crowd who could barely get her question out to him, she was practically hyperventilating and on the verge of tears, because he was such a megastar to her. As much as Searching For Sugarman, as good as it is, sometimes plays a little too heavily into lots of white South Africans talking about how difficult apartheid was for them, seeing how much he meant to people was incredible.

There'll never be another with a story like his. 

Robbie Robertson, founding member of The Band, has died at the age of 80. 

The Band were fucking class, obviously, but he also scored several of Martin Scorsese's films and contributed vocals and guitars to other records by big acts (like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers). 

• Paid Members

So many today. It's less "Death takes a holiday", and more  "Death comes back to the office and sees how much stuff he's got to catch up on while he was off."

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

RIP Dale.

This one bummed me out more than I'd have expected it to.

Never even registered the actor's name or gave too much thought to it, but Dale is one of my favourite television characters ever and while a lot of the magic is in the writing, the performance is just note-perfect, too. 

RIP.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

I hope he had his Sun Life plan in place to leave a gift for his loved ones.