Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Horrible age to go, especially with a young family. He had such an odd career, leaving the band before they recorded their biggest hits, then coming back. 

Always had a soft spot for them because of their connections with Grandaddy. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Jeremiah Green, the drummer from Modest Mouse has died aged only 45.

Bloody hell, that's awful. One of my formative bands that lead me to discovering music existed outside of Limp Bizkit and Slipknot. I'll give We Were Dead... a spin tomorrow in his memory. RIP.

• Paid Members

Right at the end of last year but I've just found out that Simon Hanley's away. A La Liga TV commentator, as a big fan of Spanish football, his voice became a staple of my weekends over the last couple of years. He brought a great warmth and enthusiasm to the games he covered and I especially enjoyed it when he was paired with Graeme Hunter. I'm sad he's gone. RIP. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Alan Rankine from The Associates has died aged 64 One of the finest musicians of the early 80s. Party Fears Two is as good now as it’s ever been. 

Just listened to it moments ago. Utterly gorgeous, weird, brilliant, unlike anything else, and as much as I normally distrust '80s music nostalgia, 1982 feels like a very precise window in time when a song like that could be a top ten single. Gorgeous stuff. You can see how there's a through line from songs like that to producing the Cocteau Twins.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Roger Kean who co created both Crash and Zzap!64 has died, I remember seeing the covers of both mags as a small child and they always looked insanely cool.

I read Zzap religiously as a kid. It was such a great magazine. Roger Frames Buys Budget Games and The Mighty Brain's letters page. I bet if I read them back now there'd be so many things I totally missed back in the day because I was so young. 

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I read Zzap religiously as a kid. It was such a great magazine. Roger Frames Buys Budget Games and The Mighty Brain's letters page. I bet if I read them back now there'd be so many things I totally missed back in the day because I was so young. 

https://archive.org/details/zzap64-magazine

Zzap was absolutely formative to me. Read each of the first 40 or so repeatedly, through many staff changes but the ability to cut through bullshit was always there (apart from the Apex games blindspot).