Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

9 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Im utterly devastated by this. It's hard to state the influence he had. God the sentences. The language.Ā 

I've not read any of his stuff, where should I start? Feel free to continue in the Reading thread as might be more appropriate.Ā 

Donā€™t read his opinions on Muslims! Ā I think his dad said it best when he said to him something along the lines of ā€œYou know, you can just write ā€˜he went to the pub, had a couple of pints, then went homeā€™, you donā€™t need 10 pages to describe that.Ā 

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Donā€™t read his opinions on Muslims! Ā I think his dad said it best when he said to him something along the lines of ā€œYou know, you can just write ā€˜he went to the pub, had a couple of pints, then went homeā€™, you donā€™t need 10 pages to describe that.Ā 

I'll be honest mate, abhorrent views don't stop me reading authors/watching films etc, as long as they're not littered throughout the works. Cancel me wokies!

I was unaware of those views so had a look. Not lovely are they?Ā 

This made me laugh though.

spacer.png

"Helped Iraq scrape a draw with Iran"

Did Saddam equalise in the last minute or something Clive?

11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'll be honest mate, abhorrent views don't stop me reading authors/watching films etc, as long as they're not littered throughout the works. Cancel me wokies!

Yep. This is a wrestling forum after all. Whilst maybe not on the same level, Caravaggio is one of my favourite artists and he was a murderer.Ā 
Ā 

I never really took to Amis, he is the very definition of prolix, a bit like Will Self. Heā€™s no Salman Rushdie but then again, nobody else is!

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I've not read any of his stuff, where should I start? Feel free to continue in the Reading thread as might be more appropriate.Ā 

Iā€™ve only ever read London Fields, but it was excellent so you could start/finish there.

I'm suprised to see Pete hasn't been in here yet with the news of Dr Evande Hinge from Hinge and Bracket's death. They were all over the TV in the early 80s confusing people as to why these eldery piano playing women were suddenly all over the TV with their innuendo and Noel Coward songs. i'm sure they were on that Good Old Days show. were they the first drag act to have their own show on mainstream uk TV? I have no idea, that's for the obituary writers to say.

Ā 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

I'm suprised to see Pete hasn't been in here yet with the news of Dr Evande Hinge from Hinge and Bracket's death. They were all over the TV in the early 80s confusing people as to why these eldery piano playing women were suddenly all over the TV with their innuendo and Noel Coward songs. i'm sure they were on that Good Old Days show. were they the first drag act to have their own show on mainstream uk TV? I have no idea, that's for the obituary writers to say.

Ā 

I got taken to see them live in Worthing when I was a kid, probably in the early 90s. I didn't really have a clue who they were, never saw them on TV before or after, but I did really enjoy the show, they were great live performers.Ā 

22 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

MONEY is his best. It is as great as people say. The 'trilogy' of MONEY - LONDON FIELDS - THE INFORMATION are where I would start. Just superb stuff.

Ā 

• Paid Members

Hinge and Bracket had a sitcom years ago written by Giles Brandreth which sounds like hell on Earth, but was genuinely hysterical.

4 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

Probably Danny La Rue.

I donā€™t think he did, he was a guest on many but I donā€™t think he ever had his own show. He was more a theatre and cabaret guy. He was certainly the first drag act on the Royal Variety Performance. But saying that, he never described his act as a drag act, he was a ā€œcomic who sometimes wore a frockā€.Ā 

• Paid Members

Depends on what you'd classify as "drag", especially when we consider what drag in the UK is (as opposed to the American version). Norman Evans was playing Fanny Fairbottom back in the 1940s (I remember Les Dawson mentioning him on Parky about it being part of his inspiration for Cissie & Ada).

6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Depends on what you'd classify as "drag", especially when we consider what drag in the UK is (as opposed to the American version). Norman Evans was playing Fanny Fairbottom back in the 1940s (I remember Les Dawson mentioning him on Parky about it being part of his inspiration for Cissie & Ada).

Itā€™s more about Hinge and Bracket having their own weekly TV show as opposed to skits or appearances on other peopleā€™s shows, or a character in a film. At least thatā€™s what I thought was being asked?