Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

Gutted about Andy. The Smiths were one of the most important bands in my life. They were the first band that made me think “Hey, this song is about me”!  Heck of a bass player as well!  Now two of them are dead, the singer died about 20 years ago and now the bassist. Gutted. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chili said:

Morrissey will be popping the champagne this morning. It is a terrible shame. Those bass lines were fantastic. 

10 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Morrissey will be popping the champagne this morning. It is a terrible shame. Those bass lines were fantastic. 

He won’t because he died decades back, and it was Joyce he hated. 

People do also forget Marr kinda fucked Joyce over in that settlement as well, though they seemed to have made peace. I admire Joyce for fighting for that 25 per cent as The Smiths were always all about every part. Andy's bass and Mike's drums on something like The Queen Is Dead just send shivers.

So sad he's gone. I'll echo what @Keith Houchen said. They were the most important band for me. Just stunning. They still sound fresh as fuck today. Always a hint of funk in his lines. 59 is no fucking age at all. I'm glad he's getting a lot of love on Social Media.

Edited by Factotum

38 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Gutted about Andy. The Smiths were one of the most important bands in my life. They were the first band that made me think “Hey, this song is about me”!  Heck of a bass player as well!  Now two of them are dead, the singer died about 20 years ago and now the bassist. Gutted. 

Someone on Twitter said "just like The Beatles, The Smiths are dying in the wrong order" which is both awful and funny.

Chalk me up as another lover of The Smiths. Its been really wonderful introducing them to my 13yo who has taken them to heart as well. 

She did see Morrissey was on tour and asked about it and I said I'd take her to see a tribute band instead, which would be 1000% more fun. I've seen one before, The Smiths Indeed, who were brilliant.

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Someone on Twitter said "just like The Beatles, The Smiths are dying in the wrong order" which is both awful and funny.

The worst Beatle died first, the best Beatle died second. 

55 minutes ago, Factotum said:

We all know Paul died first remember

Good point. Imagine (hur hur) if Twitter was around back then. The theories about the very end of Sgt Pepper and the Abbey Road pic. Would’ve been gold!!

The full Tube appearance is an awesome showcase of his bass, because it's the highest thing in the mix, in that classic post punk way where the guitar's just left to texture and colour the sound in the background:

Joyce is legit the star of the show here, for me. Some of his bass playing was so funky and intricate in a way that mirrored Marr's guitar that I wonder how much of his stuff casual listeners might have attributed to Marr over the years.

The TOTP performance of Hand in Glove with Sandie Shaw is something either people don't seem to know of and should. Rourke's bass stuff her is lovely and he also looks absolutely terrific here. Great barnet.

Edited by Chili

57 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Good point. Imagine (hur hur) if Twitter was around back then. The theories about the very end of Sgt Pepper and the Abbey Road pic. Would’ve been gold!!

"He's dead until he's not alive, that's how it works"

"He's a lot closer to dead than he is alive, now that's a fact"

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Factotum said:

People do also forget Marr kinda fucked Joyce over in that settlement as well, though they seemed to have made peace. I admire Joyce for fighting for that 25 per cent as The Smiths were always all about every part. Andy's bass and Mike's drums on something like The Queen Is Dead just send shivers.

So sad he's gone. I'll echo what @Keith Houchen said. They were the most important band for me. Just stunning. They still sound fresh as fuck today. Always a hint of funk in his lines. 59 is no fucking age at all. I'm glad he's getting a lot of love on Social Media.

Didn't Johnny Marr pay Mike Joyce out of his own pocket when the decision was made while Morrissey wanted to fight the decision?