Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

Legendary rodeo cowboy Larry Mahan has passed away, age 79. 

As well as being a world champion rodeo cowboy in the 60s and 70s, Mahan also released a country music record and had his own (very popular) range of western wear. 

He was also the subject of the Oscar-winning documentary The Great American Cowboy, which you can (and should!) view here. 

In tribute, here's a song Guy Clark wrote about him and Ramblin' Jack Elliott.

RIP. 

• Paid Members

That was in 1996? I could have sworn it was earlier than that. He was the same age as my gran when she passed. 

• Moderators

Was that the exhibition in London that was around Shoreditch-y kinda way? I went to that with my mum. I think he had a bit of a boost in popularity around that time because he did the art for Offspring's Americana album. 

It was certainly how I heard of him anyway and I'm glad it gave me the chance to check out his other work. 

2 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Very prolific pop artist Frank Kozik has died, I was a pretty big fan, I went to an exhibition of his pushing 20 years ago and still have a cool signed piece I got.

20230510_143143.jpg

Had to Google him but I recognised tons of the stuff that came up, a very distinctive style and surely anyone of a certain age into alternative rock has seen his stuff. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Was that the exhibition in London that was around Shoreditch-y kinda way? I went to that with my mum. I think he had a bit of a boost in popularity around that time because he did the art for Offspring's Americana album. 

Definitely would have been that one, he was showing new figurines he had started working on before vinyl art toys took off which was what he moved into in his later career, I believe he was one of the top guys at kidrobot in the end.

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Had to Google him but I recognised tons of the stuff that came up, a very distinctive style and surely anyone of a certain age into alternative rock has seen his stuff. 

Yeah he was pretty much the poster artist of the 90s US alternative scene but he kept adapting and was still doing loads of stuff (mainly in vinyl art toys as I mentioned above).