Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

@SuperBacon

Here is a link to Chortle's obituary https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2023/04/22/52990/barry_humphries_dies_at_89 the transphobic stuff is at the end.

I vividly remember it at the time and was just surprised that no one on here had mentioned it as the forum on the whole seems very aware of transphobia.

I think either the quality of his art has made people gloss over it (a la Bowie and his far right flirtations) or maybe it's Barry's avuncular nature.

Either way, once he got it out of his system he doesn't seem to have doubled & trebled down on it like our least favourite Irishman.

• Paid Members
Just now, Just Some Guy said:

Either way, once he got it out of his system he doesn't seem to have doubled & trebled down on it like our least favourite Irishman.

I never saw anything about it at the time. What a shame. 

18 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

@SuperBacon

Here is a link to Chortle's obituary https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2023/04/22/52990/barry_humphries_dies_at_89 the transphobic stuff is at the end.

I vividly remember it at the time and was just surprised that no one on here had mentioned it as the forum on the whole seems very aware of transphobia.

I think either the quality of his art has made people gloss over it (a la Bowie and his far right flirtations) or maybe it's Barry's avuncular nature.

Appreciate that. 

Interesting you mention Bowie, and I suppose this is how I see Maradona also.

A hero of mine on the football pitch, and politically I agreed with a lot of what he said, but he also did some horrendous things in his life that hurt people.

But when I mourn him in death, its because I loved him in a sporting sense and what he meant to me, but I certainly don't forget the shit bits.

Similar to Bowie. A musical genius but yes he gave nazi salutes and was a bit of a shit for a long time. 

No one is perfect I suppose.

Fair enough and you are not alone on this forum in your love of Diego.

Personally, Shilton was a hero of mine on the pitch but a total pillock off it too. Still couldn't appreciate Maradona after'86 though. I should start a thread about how I fly in the face off all perceived wisdom of the UKFF!

Back on topic I don't believe there is one instance of Barry Humphreys comedy that attacks the trans community and so we can probably say the art & man truly are separate.

I hadn't heard of Humphries' transphobic comments, and I've yet to properly look into what David Bowie got up to. How I'll judge them both in retrospect is on whether they outgrew their lamentable attitudes and made amends in some way. If they just moved on like nothing happened then that's pretty shitty, as not everyone gets to walk away from the kind of harm they might have caused. But if either of them showed an unforced willingness to learn and renounce their past behaviours, then that's something at least.

5 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Oh, that's definitely not good. 

It’s not, but I’ll wager it’s very much the sort of comments you’ll get from old people in their 80s when asked about trans issues.  I don’t honestly expect people who have lived their entire lives without having to consider the topic to spring fully formed into a nuanced view.

I had a very similar argument with my old man this weekend who’s turned 80.  A lifelong liberal but just not on board with the pace of change in society now.  Doesn’t stop him being a lovely person in all other aspects of his time on this earth.  

It’s particularly sad from Humphries because of his status as a legendary drag act, but I don’t think it should prevent us from celebrating his genius and long career.  And he’s not spent years attacking people on Twitter so comparing him to Glinner is a bit harsh.

• Paid Members

Some of the stuff he's said about self mutilation and it being a trend is pretty bad, but at least he's not gone down the whole "creepy predatory" thing that Glinner did. I'm sure if you had been able to speak to him about the issue he'd probably have actually thought about what you were saying, rather than doubling down. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm sure if you had been able to speak to him about the issue he'd probably have actually thought about what you were saying, rather than doubling down

Based on what?