Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Thankfully the media seems to be getting better at reporting when people end their lives. Not only did they always say they’d killed themselves, they’d say how. Obviously it’s still not perfect but hopefully it’s getting there. 

With the exception of some outright ghouls in the press, there are increasingly strong and well-informed editorial guidelines around how to report on this now. IPSO advise against speculating on causes, on avoiding language that risks reading like romanticising the deceased, on speculating on or specifying the cause, and they advise against using phrases like "committed suicide".

It can occasionally mean a greater degree of ugly speculation outside of the reporting itself, but I think that's better than the kind of hounding by the actual press that used to be more commonplace.

14 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

She was in an episode of Home and Away, too. Must have found the forbidden door of soap world.

I think ultimate soap crossover stuff happened when Henry Ramsay left Erinsborough and turned up in Summer Bay playing Grant Mitchell. 

• Awards Moderator
29 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think ultimate soap crossover stuff happened when Henry Ramsay left Erinsborough and turned up in Summer Bay playing Grant Mitchell. 

No

69A4CD0A-705C-4990-8CD0-0EE21A6F8B7F.jpeg.65fb937ab0767476fa64f0f4352cd5a3.jpeg

it

47223CB6-B0B8-4210-BC74-6B52AA58566D.png.bed600b0a93b424ec213bd91067b7d3b.png

didn’t 

F9220FE2-839E-407E-B6D8-2DC230347DC4.jpeg.13abe14f5fc7df2cf0199c60086c50ee.jpeg

Edited by Frankie Crisp

Jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal has died aged 92. Some of his live albums like 'At the Pershing: But Not for Me' are absolute essentials for any jazz fan. Most people are probably more aware of his work through being sampled millions of times in hip hop. 'The World Is Yours' by Nas for example. Pete Rock loved a Ahmad Jamal sample.

53 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal has died aged 92. Some of his live albums like 'At the Pershing: But Not for Me' are absolute essentials for any jazz fan. Most people are probably more aware of his work through being sampled millions of times in hip hop. 'The World Is Yours' by Nas for example. Pete Rock loved a Ahmad Jamal sample.

This is poor form from Jamal considering Lonnie Liston Smith is releasing a new album at nearly 90.

22 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

He released an album in 2019 at the age of 89. That’ll do for me. 

You know, as soon as I posted that I thought “I bet he released an album last year”. 😂. Jazz musicians never retire.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Loki said:

You know, as soon as I posted that I thought “I bet he released an album last year”. 😂. Jazz musicians never retire.

I saw Marshall Allen leading the Sun Ra Arkestra last year, a week before he turned 98. They're on tour again now. A different breed, for sure.

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Sun Ra Arkestra

I like avant garde jazz but have always struggled with Sun Ra, the classic albums at least seem like hard work.  What's the arkestra like in concert?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

I like avant garde jazz but have always struggled with Sun Ra, the classic albums at least seem like hard work.  What's the arkestra like in concert?

They're brilliant - I've seen them quite a few times over the last 10-15 years, and they're always superb. There's still bits of dissonance or weird experimental moments, but for the most part they're just a slightly off-kilter swing band, everything they play has a lot more groove to it than you'd expect if you'd only heard the stuff they recorded during Sun Ra's lifetime. 

• Paid Members

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrity-deaths/barry-humphries-dead-at-89-after-reentering-hospital-for-hip-problems/news-story/6de896055ac6a2865a38e8ab4a34b04b

Barry Humphries has died. Dame Edna and Les Patterson are about as funny characters as you'll ever see. I remember Edna on This Morning a few years ago still tearing it up.

Edited by gmoney