Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Though you just have to hope that people were telling him all of this when he was still around - I'm sure they were, and I'm sure he was having none of it.

This is what always makes me a tad uncomfortable when there's a sudden outpouring of love and appreciation for someone after their death. Often we assume famous people have their egos massaged every day of their lives and know all too well what they mean to the public, but I doubt that's so often the case. Particularly when it's someone (not in this instance, I presume) who topped themselves - you have to wonder if reading their own tributes would have changed their minds.

It's an especially British thing to actively resist letting people know just how loved and admired they are, lest it go to their heads. Only when they're not around to hear and benefit from it is it safe to let the praise truly flow.

• Paid Members

Agree totally that people should be made to feel loved before they pass. However, apart from the passing itself obviously being very sad, it does make them part of the wider public conversation again and sometimes that's a good thing - it's been fun today to watch some old clips of him at work. Clips will keep resurfacing on them on birthdays and anniversaries of their passing as well. In the case of Paul O'Grady, I think it's nice we'll consistently be reminded of his great work. 

I drive past the Vauxhall Tavern where he made his name quite frequently, including this morning when I had no idea he'd passed away. Wonder if there will be floral tributes etc. If I'm at the traffic lights when I go past on my way home I'll try and get a snap on the sly. 

I always thought Paul O'Grady was funny whether himself or Lilly Savage.
He was a perfect match for Blankety Blank given that he was following Terry Wogan and Les Dawson.
A lifelong animal rights campaigner who openly showed his hatred of any form.of abuse.
Now, after his death, it has been revealed that he insisted jobs on any of his shows were advertised in Job Centres so to give others the opportunities he had been afforded.
That is a fucking hero in my eyes.
Rest In Peace Paul O'Grady.

I met Lily Savage at the White Rose Centre in Leeds when I was maybe 12 or 13. I had a Manchester United shirt on and she said to me "What are you wearing that for?! At least I get paid to look stupid!". It was exactly how you'd want Lily Savage to be. 

Getting there. She's definitely turned rhe corner, but it's something we have to manage but she'll grow out of by the time she's about 5-6 apparently. 

Tell you one thing that is fucking depressing- walking round a kids ward in a hospital. Makes you realise how lucky we are to have relatively healthy kids compared to some of the other kids there. On the plus side  - Great Ormond Street Hospital is well above and beyond ANY hospital I've ever seen. The whole place is amazing and the staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly.