Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Star Trek actor William Shatner was once investigated by police as a murder suspect after his alcoholic wife drowned in a pool.
In his new autobiography, Up Till Now, Shatner explains how he tried desperately to save wife Nerine Kidd after finding her floating face down in their home pool - only to discover she was dead.
And the grief-stricken star, who shot to fame as Captain Kirk in the original 1960s TV show, was further devastated when a detective at the scene told him: "If there is any hint of foul play, you are the first suspect."
Shatner writes that he replied: "What are you talking about? This is the woman I loved more than my life. I wouldn't hurt her."
Kidd's death marked the end of a marriage the 77-year-old insists was made tumultuous by his wife's cocaine abuse.
He adds: "I was so frustrated, so angry. We were so close to a wonderful life together but we just couldn't get there...
"And then to see her drunk... to see our life together being shattered. I would sit in our house and cry. I remember sitting in a chair one morning, my hands over my eyes, sobbing."
A coroner eventually ruled that actress Kidd, 40, died accidentally after she had been drinking by the pool and slipped, hitting her head and falling unconscious into the pool.

Considering what a sci-fi nerd and celebrity gossip monger I am, I have no memory of this.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Singer / songwriter Bobby Caldwell has died, you may not know him but he’s been sampled loads. You might recognise this one. 

I'm not familiar with his work, but there's definitely Something About this Discovery. 

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Singer / songwriter Bobby Caldwell has died, you may not know him but he’s been sampled loads. You might recognise this one. 

Unfortunately this is probably most known for the track ‘Age Ain’t Nothing But a Number’ by Aaliyah.

2 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Unfortunately this is probably most known for the track ‘Age Ain’t Nothing But a Number’ by Aaliyah.

I associated it more with 2pac. Probably because of the added nonceness of who wrote Aaliyah’s song. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64986528

Couldn't decide if this was more apt for the Vintage Bintage thread or here, but nonetheless she did a lot to revolutionise Britain's attitudes to sex and female empowerment 

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

But it wasn't worth mentioning her by name in the post?

I thought a preview of the link came up, but thats on another forum I visit so made a mistake

It's Jackie Gold for those not wishing to click on the link.

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Slag. 

Thought you were talking about Ann Summers woman at first!  I know she was West Ham Dildo Brother’s daughter but that’s a bit harsh!!

Still, should be an easier tribute for Plexy as he can just use a catalogue and  then use it to clean up afterwards.