Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

His flaws - much like someone like Murray Walker - only made me love the guy more. I don't need something overpolished and disingenuous from commentary. I want genuine enthusiasm. I want knowledge. These guys and their voices become very homely and like catching up with an old mate every weekend or something. 

• Paid Members

Loved Motty, an absolute giant of broadcasting. Fond memories of his EA Sports turns too for Fifa and the World Cup games. Think it was World Cup '98 where he recorded a line which said "He couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo, this fella!" They had to up the suggest age rating for the game if i recall correctly. The GOAT. 

There is a Terry Wogan quote where after he did his final show he was asked what the audience figures were. “One” he chuckled “Always one”. And that sums up Mottys style, he was only ever commentating to one person, you. The worst thing about todays commentary is the scripted lines they’re dying to get in, you know the sort, some shit tabloid type headline that they’ll wheel out if a returning player scores or invoking a previous triumph that has fuck all to do with the game at hand. You never got that with Motson. Sure he had rehearsed lines, but they were facts about players. It was all about the game and never about himself. 

• Paid Members

I have to admit, a case of Mandela Syndrome for me, Clive.

Still, a distinctive and established voice that, for all his faults, will be much missed. RIP.

1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Think it was World Cup '98 where he recorded a line which said "He couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo, this fella!"

It's one of only two football games I've ever played (the other being GOAL! on my mate's Amiga), so there are lines of his canned commentary still lodged in my head. My uni housemate and I would repeat his "Good foresight!" as "Bruce Forsyth!" because we were a pair of right ones.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

There was only one Motty, one of my favourite commentaries of his was the 5-1 in Munich where he sounded much more natural and fan like with each England goal compared to how almost forced the Sky commentary by Martin Tyler was

I heard Martin Tyler on the radio this morning paying tribute to Motty. He was genuinely upset and you could tell how much John meant to him. 

Steve Mackey, the bass player from Pulp ,musical curator and noted record producer has died. He was 56. He did some museum stuff with John Gosling of Psychic TV which sounded cool, never seen it though. 

Jazz saxophonist and Weather Report co-founder Wayne Shorter has died at aged 89. One of the greatest of all time. I implore you to check out his solo records The All Seeing Eye and Speak No Evil, or Heavy Weather by Weather Report. All great stuff.

• Paid Members

Tom Sizemore has died aged 61 from a brain aneurysm he suffered last month.  Amazing actor who just couldn’t keep his addictions at bay to be reliable.  Real shame.