Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

I loved Lily Savage, many a morning before school was spent watching her on Big Breakfast - apparently Paul didnt really enjoy dressing up as Lily which is a real shame. I loved him as himself too, he had a real universal likability which is so rare. He will be really missed.

Ā 

As a slight aside, one of my close friends from high school was on the first series of Ru Paul's Drag Race.

Edited by deathrey

Lily Savage was fascinating because the character took a lot of light-entertainment cred from earlier acts like Hinge and Bracket or Dame Edna and used that as cover for a much grittier and more obviously queer act. Ā  When the main joke of pantomime dames was that it was a straight bloke playing a lady, Savage was much more challenging.

Not to take anything away from Barry Humphries who was absolutely brilliant. Ā It must annoy him just a little to hear people saying that Grady brought drag to the masses, as everyone seems to have forgotten about that rich tradition. Ā Edna Everage was a massive primetime star.

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

TIL SuperBacon has me on ignore!

Fucking hell, completely missed that, and I always check the last two pages to check!Ā 

Apologies comrade.

Edit: and I read and liked it! šŸ˜‚

Edited by SuperBacon
Idiot

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Fucking hell, completely missed that, and I always check the last two pages to check!Ā 

Apologies comrade.

Edit: and I read and liked it! šŸ˜‚

Haha! Itā€™s one of those things that should be repeated and never forgotten!

• Paid Members

Paul O'Grady just seemed like an honest to goodness, down to earth, lovely bloke. It's a damn shame the world has lost him twenty years too early.Ā 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Should we all die at 87? Is that the age it goes from "no age" to "good innings?"

What do you know @WeeAl tell us!!!

I don't know about you Keith but I have a system.

Younger than me = Taken too soon.Ā 

My age up to +20 years = No age

My age +30 years = Good innings

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I don't know about you Keith but I have a system.

Younger than me = Taken too soon.Ā 

My age up to +20 years = No age

My age +30 years = Good innings

Ā 

Ā 

@Thunderplex' system is so much simpler.Ā 

• Paid Members

One of my favourite memories of death threads past was when astronaut/US Senator John Glenn died at 95 and someone put in complete sincerity 'good age for an astronaut', like it would have been a well shit age to go without that caveat.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Mark me down as another who was a fan of both O'Grady and Lily Savage. Just a superb person, funny as hell, and ingrained in the cultural consciousness in a way that very few can manage.

I don't dislike Drag Race UK as much as others - in some ways, I think it's better than the Yank version, because the contestantsĀ don'tĀ go as bitchy or mean so frequently, and thereĀ areĀ nods to British drag in places - but I really would've liked to have seen O'Grady doing it. However, given how much he's stated he hated being Lily by the end of the run, there was pretty much no chance at all of that happening. Only other person who could've done it was Boy George, and he's only recently become "acceptable" enough to do it.

Friend of mine shared this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jun/04/paul-ogrady-dont-tell-me-to-keep-calm-and-carry-on?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Ā 

Oā€™Grady is a rare thing on British TV ā€“ a mainstream entertainer who is vocal about his politics. More than vocal, livid. ā€œI loathe Cameron,ā€ he said once, ā€œI loathe Osborne. Iā€™d like to see their heads on spikes on Tower Bridge.ā€ He is no less angry today. ā€œThis government cutting disability benefits ā€“ itā€™s criminal. I know from being in social services myself how important that Ā£30 is.ā€ Working for Camden council in the 70s, he saw the effect of cuts up close. ā€œAnd you never finish the job. You go back after work with your two-bar fire. It shouldā€™ve got better, but itā€™s got worse, much worse. We donā€™t respect the elderly and we donā€™t look after the disabled. We pretend to. Carers are the neglected souls. We leave them alone.ā€

I have a flash of Oā€™Grady and his six pigs campaigning through Tory Kent, neighbours ducking behind the sofa as he approaches. ā€œDo you know what I hate?ā€ he asks suddenly. ā€œI hate this ā€˜Keep Calm and Carry Onā€™ business.ā€ Why? ā€œIā€™m scared for the future, Iā€™m scared of global warming, Iā€™m scared for my grandkids, Iā€™m scared thereā€™ll be no elephants in eight years, Iā€™m worried about becoming an isolated island when we come out of the EU. Iā€™ve stopped watching the news ā€“ I canā€™t see any more kids being blown up in Syria.ā€ A pause. ā€œI mean, I watch Meridian Tonight of course, because thatā€™s fabulous.ā€ A sip of tea. ā€œBut if you say anything about Brexit today people tell you youā€™re a traitor. Those that didnā€™t vote for it are meant to just shut up. No! I like to tackle things. Donā€™t tell me to keep calm.ā€ A prim snort.

He raises his chin now, a gesture of grand defiance. Which is basically the pose heā€™s struck his whole career ā€“ he was ā€œbannedā€ from The One Show after describing the stars of documentary series Benefits Street as ā€œsacrificial lambsā€; he quit his talk show saying the celebrities became so dull they were like ā€œrelatives you felt obliged to visitā€. In less public gestures of defiance, he refused to wear a mask and gloves when visiting the Aids wards. He contextualises the changes heā€™s seen through a dark lens of illness.

Ā 

Ā