Chris B

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Osprey sounds like that bellend in work who thinks he's a "top lad" but every one actually hates his guts. 

"Cheeky Nandos" - need I say more? #TOPBANTS

• Paid Members

I hate Ospreay so much as a person that even if he had the best match of all time I would still hate it because he's such a loathsome nasty little cretin.

Not that he would ever have the best match of all time though because he's a fucking crap wrestler as well as a thick twat.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

But seriously, I'd kill to see Zack Vs Bryan again. I saw them in 2008 in a shitty pub.

Jelly. Best wrestler I ever saw in a pub (the Academy doesnt count) was Spud. To be fair we had a pint and a pack of scratchings afterwards and went over the booking for the 1PW title tournament which was happening the weekend after. He also showed up the last time I saw a "forbidden door" open, the night Tommy End/Aleister Black worked Progress in Birmingham then shot up to Newcastle for NXT, and Balor played musical chairs after being introduced by Smallman's terrible cringeworthy "We've got mates at WWE" remark.

Everything I just typed is still better than Will Ospreay.

• Paid Members

I'm 'easier' on Ospreay than most of you here, but even I'm not looking for any AEW involvement from him. I think his heel schtick is awful and he's totally fucked off the art of subtle communication with his opponent. I watched him vs Mox this week and he's just shouting commands and spots at him. The two were having full-on visible conversations that totally took me out of the match, with no degree of trying to hide the fact. It's a real bad habit that he's picked up and he needs to drop it, along with character work and every single social media account.

Edited by Accident Prone

The fantasy booker in me says Punk vs Okada with Okada going over. Then when Punk wins the title down the line, Okada has legitimate claim to a title match and repays the favour.

It won’t hurt Punk in the slightest and having Okada go over arguably their top name is the best possible gesture of good will that AEW could offer.

Regardless, I’m really looking forward to this show. I’ve been tepid on NJPW since the pandemic kicked off, so I’m really hoping this can draw me back in.

Edited by Love-Wilcox

• Paid Members

The idea of this show really doesn't do anything for me, but I can see the need behind doing it. It's totally inaccurate to assume that AEW fans give a fuck about NJPW or vice versa. There just happens to be enough crossover that something like this can seem viable and/or a big deal. This satisfies that itch for those that are interested. 

Guys like Danielson and Moxley etc want to work NJPW. Creating shows and working relationships like this are crucial in order to lure them and keep them happy. 

There has clearly been an agreement between the sides for sometime now, that would have seen a few more AEW appearances for NJPW had Japan's restrictions not been as tight. We've had the older legends/mid carders etc appear in AEW now. This show is not the time for that. They need to hit this out of the park.

Obviously not everything needs to be given away early, but there has to be something absolutely marquee on this show or else it's pointless. That may not be NJPW's modus operandi, but they are going to have to meet half way. For a viable PPV with the level of costs involved for this lot, without programs building to big matches, this needs a hook, and that hook has to be several of the top guys from either side, in matches that matter. 

Punk Vs Tanahashi for a place in the G1.

Danielson/Moxley Vs Okada and (Ishii maybe? Dunno who his mates are in their setup)

Hangman Vs Naito 

Ibushi Vs Guevara for the TNT belt (convince NJPW that he can beat Sammy for the belt, let him do two or three shows in the states then lose it to Danielson in Japan, then lend them Danielson for a month, plus AEW get the belt on Danielson and some blinders out of it). 

There's no great thought put into that nor am I pretending it's exactly something that should be done. It's just the type of direction to head in. If all they want to do is take it carefully, six man's and eight man tags up the wazoo, with only singles matches being mismatches or ones nobody wanted to see, then it would be better off staying as a talent sharing agreement. Each side, sacrifice somebody at the altar to the other side, to show you mean business. Am I fuck paying £20 quid to watch Punk Vs Kenta. I will however, pay £20 to watch Punk Vs Tanahashi. I've only seen about five Tanahashi matches and he's the Japanese Bret Hart in my book. Punk's modern day Bret tribute act is a no brainer for a match with Tanahashi for me. Or Ibushi Vs Danielson? That'd be tremendous. 

If it's all Undisputed Elite Vs Bullet Club or whatever the fuck? No thanks. Hard pass. 

Edited by WeeAl

Considering how the NJ Strong shows have gone: Moxley v. Ospreay most recently. I don't think they'll be that scared of doing some big matches. There might be a bit of the traditional trade off. I can see one or two things set up to pay off at Wrestle Kingdom next year. NJ have two nights to fill these days after all. While Dynamite is due to be on January 4th with how AEW book shows they'd have talent free that night anyway.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

It's totally inaccurate to assume that AEW fans give a fuck about NJPW or vice versa. There just happens to be enough crossover that something like this can seem viable and/or a big deal. This satisfies that itch for those that are interested. 

I don't watch NJPW or know anything about it or anyone who wrestles there. I'm excited for this show though for two reasons 1) a big cross promotion show is extremely rare and unique so I'm intrigued to see it and 2) while I know nothing there's a lot of buzz and excitement about it so I'm keen to see the top Japanese stars everyone's talking about for the first time against my AEW favourites. 

My point being that I agree you don't have to be a NJPW fan to be excited or to see this event as a big deal. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

a big cross promotion show is extremely rare and unique so I'm intrigued to see it

I'm not down with the Japanese stuff but aren't new japan quite open to cross promotion and, as long as it's on thier terms, do it not too infrequently over it's 40ish year life? 

21 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not down with the Japanese stuff but aren't new japan quite open to cross promotion and, as long as it's on thier terms, do it not too infrequently over it's 40ish year life? 

Yea that had a show with NOAH in January, they did small but yearly shows with ROH in Japan when they were in business together and before that they did shows with AJPW and UWF(when Inoki got a boner over MMA and nearly ruined New Japan) in the 90s.

As long as they look strong and win most matches on the night I think New Japan would work with most promotions worth while.

Edited by TildeGuy~!