Chris B

• Paid Members

An NJPW/AEW supershow sounds like it's worth it's own thread, right?

I don't think we'll get them trying to do it all in one show - I think we'll get slightly random pairings, but that's no bad thing. Save some of the dream matches for down the line. 

But what would you like or not like to see?

I'm hoping for:

Zack Sabre Jr vs Bryan Danielson

CM Punk vs Okada

Jay White vs Hangman

Danhausen vs Toru Yano

Jungle Boy vs Takahashi

And, down the line, I'd love to see Omega vs Ibushi, but that one will probably need some story.

Oh, and Ospreay vs nobody. I know he'll be on the card, but that will sour things for me somewhat.

Edited by Chris B

18 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Oh, and Ospreay vs nobody. I know he'll be on the card, but that will sour things for me somewhat.

You must be mistaking Tony Khan for some kind of enabler if you think he'd have Ospreay on the show without asking to see some texts.

• Paid Members

it does feel like this might end up being a backdoor way to get Ospreay on to the show, but I also wonder if that ship has sailed considering they've likely had plenty of opportunities to book him already and chosen not to.

I don't think we're likely to get big headliner vs. headliner singles matches. Looking at previous Japanese interpromotional shows, the most common thing is to do a big tag team match - whether that's two NJPW guys vs. two AEW guys, or two pairings of a NJPW talent and an AEW talent apiece, it's going to be designed to protect big names from losing singles matches.

Given that they've already made the Bullet Club/Elite connection clear, I imagine that will dominate most of the card. Maybe an expanded Elite/Bullet Club team in a ten-man against an assortment of babyfaces across both promotions.

What I'd want to see is Danielson vs. Sabre and Punk vs. KENTA, but I wonder if we get something like Blackpool Combat Club vs. Tanahashi and Okada instead. Tony Khan's probably salivating at the prospect of being able to get Danielson and Okada in the same ring.

Edited by BomberPat

What exactly did Will Ospreay do? I'm a bit out of the loop. I heard something about him getting a wrestler blackballed from a promotion, which while shitty, doesn't seem on the same level of horribleness as Marty Scrull and Travis Banks. Or is there some nonce element involved as well?

I hope Omega is able to wrestle on this show. He's been out for several months and has a couple more until this Forbidden Door thing. Getting him involved in a match with either Okada or Ibushi seems like a no brainer, even if it's a tag deal where he doesn't have to carry the workload. 

10 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I hope Omega is able to wrestle on this show. He's been out for several months and has a couple more until this Forbidden Door thing. Getting him involved in a match with either Okada or Ibushi seems like a no brainer, even if it's a tag deal where he doesn't have to carry the workload. 

Doesn't he still have to have knee surgery? Don't think he's going to be back in time for the June show.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

What exactly did Will Ospreay do? I'm a bit out of the loop. I heard something about him getting a wrestler blackballed from a promotion, which while shitty, doesn't seem on the same level of horribleness as Marty Scrull and Travis Banks.

The wrestler who got blackballed had said his mate had raped her and Ospreay called her a liar more than once on twitter while defending his mate. And that’s why he got her blackballed. 

A stupid cunt is the only way I can accurately describe him as a person. Just an awful bloke. 

And he tried to get fans to buy his mum a new car. Because fans will happily get rinsed by some divvy wrestler they think is amazing. 

19 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

And he tried to get fans to buy his mum a new car. Because fans will happily get rinsed by some divvy wrestler they think is amazing. 

And while bragging he spent £10,000 on new tights.

Met him ten years ago when I was working. Just a really weird kid. Would try and start conversations with stuff like "What would you rather - a million pounds or eat out your nan?" Fascinating watching him (on social media at least) blossom into a cunt.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

And while bragging he spent £10,000 on new tights.

Forgot about that. Said how much he spends on ring gear per year which is why he now charges fans a fiver for photos. Described himself as a brand. 

He also completely bullied a fan at Rev Pro. Said fan could be a dick to people and hated Ospreay as a wrestler. But I remember Ospreay found out where he was sitting at a show and went to Tesco and bought a fish and shampoo and left it on his seat with a note “this will make you smell better”. He put it all over Twitter and Instagram and the kid was humiliated in the building and online all at once. It was his way of “punishing him” which could’ve been handled better just by taking to him. 

• Paid Members

The formula for these irregular New Japan shows is pretty standard by now, as Louch alluded to. You'll get two or three big(ish) singles matches and the rest of the card is filled with multi-mans. Given that they have the NJPW-STRONG guys too, and they want to push the Bullet Club/Elite/Undisputed Elite angles with House Of Torture and The Empire, I can't imagine we'll get much of the real New Japan upper-card on the show. 

Considering all that, it might be something like Ishii vs Moxley, Punk vs KENTA, White vs Darby, a Bucks tag (Aussie Open, maybe?) and everything else is 6-mans and 8-mans.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Considering all that, it might be something like Ishii vs Moxley, Punk vs KENTA, White vs Darby, a Bucks tag (Aussie Open, maybe?) and everything else is 6-mans and 8-mans.

Hopefully not as that's about the dullest card you could probably come up with while still using name talent (except Aussie Open who aren't).

• Paid Members

Well KENTA has been teasing on Twitter that he wants Punk for the show. Ishii seems like a good fit for BCC scouting (and they've probably squeezed Suzuki for all he's worth for the time being) and it plays off their MOTY contender in 2019, and Darby feels like a good fit for White seeing as his best matches on US soil have been with smaller opponents (plus they're both goths, innit).

I'll admit that I'd love to see Mox vs Ishii II, and the quality of Darby vs Jay White could be great given they don't go too long with the HEAT. PUNK vs KENTA does nothing for me as I've not enjoyed KENTA's run at all since leaving NOAH, and Bucks and Aussie Open could have an excellent match with their eyes closed.

Unfortunately for much of the UKFF, unless Tony Khan is very convincing, that's what the first show will probably look like in my opinion, especially as it's New Japan's first show with AEW. Hell, even ROH and Rev Pro had to gain the company's trust before they were allowed the bigger stars and the bigger matches.

Edited by Accident Prone
Spelling and shite