Chris B

Some mention of MJF and being forgotten. The way they built the Wardlow feud it looked like Wardlow was going to win and get his AEW contract. CM Punk was winning the AEW Championship as well.

Regardless of the Forbidden Door or real/kayfabe theatrics that followed Double or Nothing it looked like MJF would be taking some time off.

• Paid Members

A phenomenal show, which made the shitty build up all the more frustrating.

If they do a Forbidden Door 2 I hope they get their shit together and organise and promote it properly next time because it’s absolutely heartbreaking to think there are some fans who will have skipped this show and missed what will probably be the moment of the year, which was Sting no-selling the Superkicks.

With Danielson and Punk out, it’s a race to the finish now on whether Moxley or Sting end up wrestler of the year.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

With Danielson and Punk out, it’s a race to the finish now on whether Moxley or Sting end up wrestler of the year.

I know they’re a tag team, and there’s a tag team of the year category and all that, but it feels faintly wrong to me that FTR aren’t eligible for this. I don’t think there’s an act, singles or otherwise, who has come close to the level of matches they’ve been having. They’re incredible.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

If they do a Forbidden Door 2 I hope they get their shit together and organise and promote it properly next time because it’s absolutely heartbreaking to think there are some fans who will have skipped this show and missed what will probably be the moment of the year, which was Sting no-selling the Superkicks.

The nature of an inter-promotional PPV/Show isn't going to change much. It'll mean parachuting in talents from another company for about a month and then disappearing once its over.

The only difference between this year and next is that the relationship is stronger. So its more likely for the random Minoru Suzuki type appearances on AEW tv during the year and people might become more familiar.

47 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

The only difference between this year and next is that the relationship is stronger. So its more likely for the random Minoru Suzuki type appearances on AEW tv during the year and people might become more familiar.

I wonder if that would dilute the impact though? The more it happened with ROH the less interesting it became. Started with the Dragon Gate six man stuff. Then the constant NJPW crossovers. It was all too much in the end. There has to be a happy middle ground somewhere between too much and too little.

I think that the buys prove there is a market for this event and I hope that outside the main couple of matches they let the event speak for itself so that not so much needs to factor in and derail the main TV shows. I think the problem was too many unfamiliar characters feeling shoehorned into the Dynamite, and to a lesser extent Rampage for people unfamiliar (like myself) with New Japan, it's factions and it's feuds. Like I still have no idea why Jericho would choose to team with Lance Archer last week.

Also, I really enjoyed Aussie Open after seeing them a couple of times and then they weren't even on the PPV.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Supremo said:

Knowing if Kazuchika Okada is wrestling on your show more than a week out in order to write a proper story and promote his match would be a good start.

I think they were after the 'Shock coin drop reaction' as much as anything else - in a 'holy shit, Okada's here!' way. It's a bit too much 'booking for Reddit', but people have been anticipating the reaction to the coin drop and the pop for a long time. And doing that while bringing others in might have meant it getting lost in the mix. If that's the case, trying to get people to believe he wouldn't be there and getting the surprise pop... I can see it, and as an Okada fan, it worked for me (and clearly worked for the live audience). But it likely came at the expense of those who were clueless to it (or those who'd heard about Okada, and nothing less than walking on water to the ring and immediately having a 7-star classic would have been enough).

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I watched the show and enjoyed it, I still don't really get people's obsession or fandom over Okada.

I haven't watched NJPW, aside from Wrestle Kingdom, since before the pandemic, so I might have missed something, but he seemed a step or two behind where he used to be, so I don't know if he's starting to slow up, or has some nagging injuries, but he didn't feel like the super-worker he used to be. Doesn't help that a multi-man match really doesn't fit his skillset.

Hopefully we’ll get to see Okada in a high profile AEW singles match down the line.

He’s been one of the consistently best wrestlers in the world for the past 10 years and he’s still only 35, with easily another 5-10 years at the top of his game. It would be a shame if he didn’t get more opportunities to show what he’s really capable of in front of an American crowd.

As an aside; Tanahashi is still so fucking great, isn’t he? He’s clearly well past his athletic prime and struggling with injuries but man, when he turns it on he’s without a shadow of doubt still one of the best and an all time great. Truly the John Cena of Japan.

Anyway, fantastic show! Despite the shitty build, it managed to over deliver in spades. More shows like this please, just work on improving the TV that precedes it please đź‘Ť

20 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I know they’re a tag team, and there’s a tag team of the year category and all that, but it feels faintly wrong to me that FTR aren’t eligible for this. I don’t think there’s an act, singles or otherwise, who has come close to the level of matches they’ve been having. They’re incredible.

Whilst it's not soo much the booking as much an encourage natural progression their face turn has been one of my favourite stories of the year. Whilst there were a few moments as they distanced themselves form MJF that added to it the story mostly came from the fans realising just how good they are (myself included, I started AEW at the obvious point last year after not watching wrestling for yonks and I went from seeing them as solid hands to top tier entertainers) and supporting them more to then it feeling like FTR responded to that increasing their connection to the fans (and them wanting to be better people) and it's felt like a natural progression - it still seems like Dax looks a little shocked during their entrance at the response they get.

Dunno if I quite worded that right but it's been a great example of those wrestling is real and scripted (and script informs reality and reality informs scrip) dualism things that's such a beautiful part of what it is.