Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

Something that will end up in the Tony Khan twat thread i'm sure, The Briscoes have signed full time with ROH.

Still nothing in place for weekly TV/streaming.

Updated card for Death Before Dishonor

• World Title: Jonathan Gresham (c) v. Claudio Castagnoli
  • TV Title: Samoa Joe (c) v. Jay Lethal
  • Tag Team Titles (2/3 Falls): FTR (c) v. The Briscoes
  • Women's Title: Mercedes Martinez (c) v. Serena Deeb
  • Pure Title: Wheeler Yuta (c) v. Daniel Garcia
  • 6-Man Titles: The Righteous (c) v. Dalton Castle & The Boys
  • Pre-Show: Willow Nightingale v. Allysin Kay

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

i'm sure, The Briscoes have signed full time with ROH.

They were full time there before the company had all their problems and got bought by Khan. They have such history with ROH it’s hard not to fathom them being re-signed. 

On 7/16/2022 at 5:33 PM, RedRooster said:

Ach, I’m not crazy about that. I’m not sure the 2/3 falls stip has ever made a match better.

It's an ROH nerd nugget, but the briscoes in the HD net days won something like 4 or 5 2/3 falls matches in a row, and won all but the last one 2-0, you know Tony knows this.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

They were full time there before the company had all their problems and got bought by Khan. They have such history with ROH it’s hard not to fathom them being re-signed. 

Fuck sakes, was hoping they'd be back on Impact.

Looks a decent enough card for the PPV that I might give it a watch on Sunday afternoon 

On the TV thing, it wouldn’t surprise me if eventually they turn Dark Elevation into ROH’s weekly TV, dropping the Dark part of the name and just keep Dark as a 2 hour tertiary show to Dynamite and Rampage

12 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

On the TV thing, it wouldn’t surprise me if eventually they turn Dark Elevation into ROH’s weekly TV, dropping the Dark part of the name and just keep Dark as a 2 hour tertiary show to Dynamite and Rampage

If you mean as a Youtube show? I don't see that happening. It's still early days but if he wanted to do that it could easily have happened by now. A domestic TV deal or streaming deal with a guaranteed income seems to be the objective. Angling for something in the Warner Bros Discovery family, but might need to go outside it.

3 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

If you mean as a Youtube show? I don't see that happening. It's still early days but if he wanted to do that it could easily have happened by now. A domestic TV deal or streaming deal with a guaranteed income seems to be the objective. Angling for something in the Warner Bros Discovery family, but might need to go outside it.

Perhaps the good faith (if they do have any) with Warner isn't quite enough for them to just stick a completely different brand on TV yet? They could be running these PPVs as pilots to see if execs are interested in the show for somewhere online/TV. The previous ROH product was a bit low budget even in its latter days. He clearly doesn't want to just go the easy route either and make AEWlite either on YouTube or TV as he wants to keep the ROH hardcore's invested in a product similar to the ROH glory days I think. 

For me though I would use one of the YouTube shows for now as I simply don't see there being much demand for another 'on TV' wrestling show. Using the dark arena and taping shows under the ROH is more preferable as something extra to dip in and out of with a little bit of difference to AEW

This is tonight. Just the one addition to the main card in RUSH v. Dragon Lee. With a few more to the pre-show. Feels like the 6-man titles might have been dug up as a vehicle for Tully Blanchard Enterprises considering what they're doing with Cage & Gates of Agony.

1. World Title: Jonathan Gresham (c) v. Claudio Castagnoli
  2. TV Title: Samoa Joe (c) v. Jay Lethal
  3. Tag Team Titles (2/3 Falls): FTR (c) v. The Briscoes
  4. Women's Title: Mercedes Martinez (c) v. Serena Deeb
  5. Pure Title: Wheeler Yuta (c) v. Daniel Garcia
  6. 6-Man Titles: The Righteous (c) v. Dalton Castle & The Boys
  7. RUSH v. Dragon Lee
  8. Pre-Show: Willow Nightingale v. Allysin Kay
  9. Pre-Show: Brian Cage & Gates of Agony v. Alex Zayne, Blake Christian, Tony Deppen
  10. Pre-Show: Colt Cabana v. Anthony Henry
  11. Pre-Show: Shinobi Shadow Squad v. Trustbusters

• Paid Members

ROH having one of the most exciting pay per view lineups of the year, with the best Countdown show I’ve seen in years, was not something I expected from 2022.

Specifically, check out Yuta and Garcia’s sit down interview. Phenomenal stuff!

Edited by Supremo

Really enjoyed Yuta/Garcia. As someone who has never watched much ROH and wouldn't necessarily seek out that style match, it was a cracker. Found it really easy to suspend my disbelief and just enjoy two guys trying to get the better of each other. Makes you realise how few matches these days actually have that most basic of elements, because half of them just look like hyper-collaborative stunt performance. Like a really good WCW upper midcard match from an early 90s PPV, wrestling's still a pleasure when it's presented as a legit contest. 

6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I'm surprised at just how underwhelming the world title match was,

Reveal hidden contents

Is Gresham not signed? It almost felt like they just wanted to get the title off him.

Looks like there's reasons. Don't know if this would count as spoilers for the show or not.

Spoiler

Gresham has asked for his release.

3 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Looks like there's reasons. Don't know if this would count as spoilers for the show or not.

Reveal hidden contents

Gresham has asked for his release.

Yeah I just saw that.

Spoiler

apparently he "cussed out" Tony backstage too