Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

The PWI thing seems like an absolutely insane point to argue until you realise he was arguing it with someone who has probably been ghost writing to Apter mags for decades. 

2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The PWI thing seems like an absolutely insane point to argue until you realise he was arguing it with someone who has probably been ghost writing to Apter mags for decades. 

It’s like arguing for a better contract cause of how many goals you scored in Football Manager 

One of my mates got really drunk once and said he wanted to start a fight with me (he thought I was sleeping with his ex) but couldn't because he wouldn't hit a man with glasses. 

I got annoyed after a while and took of my glasses. He was utterly bewildered and went dead quiet for the rest of night. Not because he was afraid of me but just because he was too pissed to process what to do next. 

• Paid Members

What a terrific show Death before Dishonor was! To think people reacted negatively to Tony Khan buying up ROH. All that shit about him playing EWR in real life. Yet here we are, a few months later and arguably the best top to bottom card of the year is an ROH show.

2 minutes ago, Chunk said:

What a terrific show Death before Dishonor was! To think people reacted negatively to Tony Khan buying up ROH. All that shit about him playing EWR in real life. Yet here we are, a few months later and arguably the best top to bottom card of the year is an ROH show.

You're right in saying that it was a great show, but I think it's still too early to determine one way or another if it was a good idea for him to buy ROH. 

• Paid Members

Just coming at it purely as a fan that wants to see good stuff.

I will say I hated the decision to put the belt on Claudio Castagnoli. I think ROH only works if it has a point of difference from the other AEW shows. Otherwise, it might as well just be branded AEW. At the same time, nobody is saying anything positive about ROH clogging up AEW. Jonathan Gresham was a perfect champion in my eyes. He's very definitely not an AEW guy and his style makes him clearly something different from what we see on AEW. He was the perfect person to lead the separation between the two brands. With the belt on Claudio, we've gone in the opposite direction and the two brands are brought even closer together.

1 minute ago, Chunk said:

Just coming at it purely as a fan that wants to see good stuff.

I will say I hated the decision to put the belt on Claudio Castagnoli. I think ROH only works if it has a point of difference from the other AEW shows. Otherwise, it might as well just be branded AEW. At the same time, nobody is saying anything positive about ROH clogging up AEW. Jonathan Gresham was a perfect champion in my eyes. He's very definitely not an AEW guy and his style makes him clearly something different from what we see on AEW. He was the perfect person to lead the separation between the two brands. With the belt on Claudio, we've gone in the opposite direction and the two brands are brought even closer together.

Claudio wasn't meant to show up on AEW before this event, it was a late decision because on Bryan being injured. I think the plan all along was for him to be a ROH guy more than anything.

It's a massive what if at this point. TK accepting Dynamite going to a 3 hour show instead of the creation of Rampage. Battle of the Belts would probably have turned into the mini-PPV events originally envisioned and Friday at 10 would have been an open slot on TNT. One that TK possibly could have convinced the execs to slot in an hour ROH show after the purchase.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I did read that earlier in the thread. With him in as part of the BCC now though, it's hard to see them just dropping him for ROH only. Given the decision they had to make with him and where he currently is, my point still stands I think. Think they've missed a trick with Gresham.

Gresham got that Malenko vibe.

But Tony needs a million dollar TV and licensing deal. Gresham won’t be taken seriously by any TV executives because he has no name value and well because he is like  4 feet high.

He’s probably a very nice guy, but so is my dog and my dog ain’t getting TV deals either.