Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

6 hours ago, Nick James said:

I've only just clicked on he's the chap that Cora Jade used to be knocking off on screen before he was released. 

They were an actual couple too, fair play to the bloke.

They broke up some time after his release and she’s now (let’s be honest) upgraded with Bron Breakker.

56 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Impact basically had to buy a TV channel just to get a TV deal. MLW is only watched in the early hours on a channel barely anyone knows about. NWA is a YouTube show. I think TK overestimated how much interest there is out there from TV channels for a wrestling show. No one gives a fuck. In hindsight it's a miracle that AEW ended up on TNT.

While All In gets a lot of credit. We're here thanks to Monday Night Raw. After UFC got snapped up by Disney, the 2nd choice for USA/Fox/Turner was Raw, To be stuck up against Monday Night Football and take Mondays off their scheduling needs.

As USA could match any offer, Smackdown was spruced for Fox. Tony Khan was then able to get the ear of the right people, point to All In and say I can do this 52 weeks a year.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed the Pure, TV and World Title matches. Garcia/Wheeler are always good together, Samoa Joe is having a great run at the moment and Jericho/Claudio was a proper main event with a great finish. The Jericho ROH title run was really good fun actually. 

I'm a massive fan of commentators taking offence to wrestlers then getting soundly beaten, so if we get Caprice Coleman vs Jericho on a throwaway Dynamite I'd love that.

Briscoes/FTR suffered a bit from that forced-epic thing for me. I didn't believe any of the near-falls for the first twenty minutes because they're always consciously trying to out-do their last match. Gunns/FTR should be a decent program, the Ass Boys are great dickhead heels and really good in-ring considering they've only been going a couple of years.

A couple of the matches were rough. I know he's got his fans on here but I'm not big on Rush or his brothers, and all four guys timing seemed off throughout this match. The less said about the finish the better. Athena/Mercedes was ugly too. Athena is much better suited as a heel though and her dominating for a while before getting dethroned by Willow would be ideal. And whilst it was a decent match, the faux-MMA offence in the Swerve match was embarassing. That stuff hardly ever looks good so I don't know why they bother.

They've got the talent to make an entertaining if inessential weekly show, but I can't see ROH ever getting above that level.

• Paid Members

I like Rush, he's a big, believable, scary fucker. But Dralistico was awful in that match; he seemed to be consciously trying to work more like Rush, and more of a slow, plodding heel, when he's a flippy boy, and it just not really working. I don't know how much he's worked outside of Mexico, or at least outside of a Lucha Libre context, but he seemed lost for most of the match. Obviously that match was let down by either a botched finish or the weirdest booked faux-botched finish imaginable, and then Luchadores Luchadoring to get their heat back. 

Mercedes vs. Athena had me wondering if someone got knocked a bit silly, or was just blown up, by the end, because there was a lot of stalling and talking, and the timing of everything in the closing stretch just felt a beat or so off where it should have been. There were a few points in this match and others where someone would hit a big move and then do nothing. Juice Robinson was kneeling down next to Samoa Joe having a chat for ages, and I don't understand why you wouldn't just go for a cover in those moments so it at least looks like you're trying to win the match, and still have the opportunity to say whatever needs saying to each other. You can always sell your disbelief/exhaustion/whatever after the kick-out, but it makes you look like an idiot to just stand there gawping while your opponent's flat on their back.

Something that's starting to bother me is names. There's been loads of jokes about the number of Cages and Pages in AEW, but - even though one's a first name and one's a surname - it's ridiculous to watch a wrestling show where two of the title matches feature someone called "Wheeler". 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Something that's starting to bother me is names. There's been loads of jokes about the number of Cages and Pages in AEW, but - even though one's a first name and one's a surname - it's ridiculous to watch a wrestling show where two of the title matches feature someone called "Wheeler". 

Oh God, Yes! I'd forgotten about that! Half of the Bricoes match was completely ruined for me by being absolutely baffled as to why the commentator kept talking about Wheeler Yuta. Is Yuta running in? Is my stream messed up? Am I losing my mind? It took me forever to even remember that Cash's surname was Wheeler, and that's what the commentator was referring to.

• Paid Members

Thing is, I'm sort of the opposite when it comes to names. There are plenty of instances in other media where more than one person can have the same surname or first name, and we process that perfectly fine. I don't know who started this whole "the audience is too thick to accept two different people with the same name, so let's rename one" policy, but I don't think it's necessary. In some cases, I think it's downright odd - given how common the surnames "Smith" or "Williams" are, why would it be unrealistic for a promotion to have two of them, for example?

I'm fairly sure no-one would be overloaded or confused by seeing Lance, Jonny, Tim, Quiet, Toni, and any other fucker called Storm stood in the ring at the same time, let alone on the same card. 

Hell, the sheer number of fighters called "Silva" in MMA doesn't faze anyone. There was even a Moraes vs Moraes fight recently.

Traditionally, people in wrestling with the same names are from the same family.  I feel this is the obvious solution for AEW - Christian Cage and Brian Cage should be made into a brothers tag team.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Thing is, I'm sort of the opposite when it comes to names. There are plenty of instances in other media where more than one person can have the same surname or first name, and we process that perfectly fine. I don't know who started this whole "the audience is too thick to accept two different people with the same name, so let's rename one" policy, but I don't think it's necessary. In some cases, I think it's downright odd - given how common the surnames "Smith" or "Williams" are, why would it be unrealistic for a promotion to have two of them, for example?

I'm fairly sure no-one would be overloaded or confused by seeing Lance, Jonny, Tim, Quiet, Toni, and any other fucker called Storm stood in the ring at the same time, let alone on the same card. 

Hell, the sheer number of fighters called "Silva" in MMA doesn't faze anyone. There was even a Moraes vs Moraes fight recently.

what you're overlooking here is that "Wheeler" is a very silly name.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Traditionally, people in wrestling with the same names are from the same family.  I feel this is the obvious solution for AEW - Christian Cage and Brian Cage should be made into a brothers tag team.

Then in a few years they can retcon themselves into being childhood friends. 

To be fair you don't tend to get a lot of characters with the same name in TV dramas or soaps (at least not at the same time). There weren't two people called in House called House. Might have been in Game of Thrones because who knows what half of those fuckers were called. Also actors change their stage names all the time to avoid sharing the same name as another actor. 

Plus we've had enough Storms in wrestling. Hell, I'd even take a Stormy as a first name over Storm as a second name at this point. Stormy Knight. That's a wrestling name. Or a stripper name. 

Minds you, 90% of all wrestling names are shite now anyway. Get a good adjective or verb as your first name and you're half way there.