Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I watched a bit of it. Really enjoyed Mark Briscoe/Slim J. I don't know who Slim J is but I've been keeping an eye on him on Dark and he's actually really bloody good. Shame he has zero personality or gimmick because his in-ring is strong - he throws great punches and sells really well which is basically all I want from most wrestlers but he will also throw in some unique highspots that actually feel like they fit in to the match. Overall though from what I've seen it felt like an episode of Dark, they could really do with filming these episodes somewhere else and with less AEW jobbers. If they aren't able to differentiate it from AEW then it's never going to feel like it's own thing that matters.

Edited by LaGoosh

If I had more spare time I'd probably put the effort in and watch this on a regular basis just for some enjoyable matches, which is basically what ROH has always been over the years.

As it is there's not really enough for me to make it a must-watch so I'll just dip in and out of it when there's something that looks worth watching.

TK isn't reinventing the wheel or anything. It's exactly what you'd expect from ROH in 2023. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

ROH before COVID was going to become a weekly studio based show that would do the odd tour and PPV elsewhere. After lockdowns it was basically going to be another Impact/MLW/NWA. Bulk tapings and internet PPVs.

As a show it really just needs to be a developmental and let inexperienced talent (in-ring and BTS) do things that they don't have the chance to do with Dynamite chasing ratings.

Figuring out a roster will be key. When they did the tapings at the weekend there was crossover between ROH and Dark. For me that has to stop. The mishmash mess of Trustbusters/Varsity Athletes can't be the job squad on ROH and Youtube shows. They've got to pick a lane.

I don't mind the likes of Takeshita mixing between ROH and AEW. Since the international superstar going between promotions has always been a staple for ROH.

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I watched a bit of it. Really enjoyed Mark Briscoe/Slim J. I don't know who Slim J is but I've been keeping an eye on him on Dark and he's actually really bloody good. Shame he has zero personality or gimmick because his in-ring is strong - he throws great punches and sells really well which is basically all I want from most wrestlers but he will also throw in some unique highspots that actually feel like they fit in to the match. Overall though from what I've seen it felt like an episode of Dark, they could really do with filming these episodes somewhere else and with less AEW jobbers. If they aren't able to differentiate it from AEW then it's never going to feel like it's own thing that matters.

Is he the same Slim J who was part of the Special K group in ROH back in the day?

• Paid Members

The Trustbusters have "skip forward on Youtube" heat with me for the most part, but Slim J does do some fun stuff, and the little entrance bit where he rips off his wifebeater and then gets a fresh one from Jeeves is superb. 

Thought episode 2 was better than the first. Started off with a bit of fun seeing them edit around Samoa Joe carrying the TNT title. First few matches kept fan interest, then lulled with Billie Starkz v. Trish Adora as it was just there, Trustbusters match that followed at least was a quick squash and had an angle afterwards to be engaging.

Then hit a nice finishing stretch with the Pure title defense, Aussie Open v. the Foundation, Eddie's squash and promo, into the main event of Athena v. Willow. The main event was wonderful and the moment Willow win's a title will be joyous.

• Paid Members

I'm really enjoying it so far. It's probably too long but I reckon if it settles down to the 60-90 minute mark a week it'll make a quality weekly show. 

They're doing a good job of establishing the roster at the moment and Riccaboni is great at bringing us up to date on the non-AEW guys. 

Willow vs Athena was brilliant. It took ROH's new show exactly two weeks to produce a womens match which is better than 90% of the ones we get on Dynamite. Shows what can happen when you give the women a bit of time and the crowd a reason to give a fuck.

Aussie Open vs ROH lads and Yuta vs Thatcher were both strong matches. If they do run with this BCC heel turn I can see Yuta being a quiet revelation as a dickhead heel, similar to Guevara in 19/20.

I've quite been enjoying Christoper Daniels old guard of ROH act but him being saddled with Sydal is an absolute gut-punch, Sydal is the worst. 

Blake Christian still looks like George Costanza's dad.

Someone in the crowd was wearing an 'I'm a Matt Tavern girl' t-shirt. I reckon he sold a grand total of one of those. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This is turning into a really good wrestling show. It reminds me of NXT 2015/16, just strong in-ring action with simple storylines. It's a shame nobody seems to be watching it.

I don't think anybody would've guessed that the first month of ROH weekly shows would be building towards Wheeler Yuta vs fucking Shibata! I hope Shibata knocks his smug head off. 

The PPV is shaping up nicely. Assuming we get Claudio vs Kingston, that plus Briscoe/Joe, Wheeler/Shibata and a clusterfuck ladder match is one hell of a card.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

This is turning into a really good wrestling show. It reminds me of NXT 2015/16, just strong in-ring action with simple storylines. It's a shame nobody seems to be watching it.

You'd fucking love the Impact thread then.

I've been keeping up with it. Despite the run time it goes by quite quickly. There's still the couple of matches that could probably be cut for time.

Supercard is looking pretty decent.

1. Claudio v. Eddie
  2. Wheeler Yuta v. Shibata
  3. Samoa Joe v. Mark Briscoe
  4. Athena v. Yakazaki
  5. Reach for the Sky Ladder Match

• Paid Members

Willow vs Athena was absolutely outstanding. I still cannot fathom how Athena has got this good since the heel turn. She’s phenomenal in this role. She is must see for me even on the Youtube shows. Completely reinvented her in ring style and has added countless amazing heel touches to the act. Whoever came up with her bopping the opponent’s head onto the title after she beats them is a genius. Willow is a fantastic babyface who has become a favourite completely organically. She is irresistibly likeable and has great fire to back it up. Everything about this was great including the post match. Very excited for Athena vs Yuka. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
On 3/19/2023 at 11:37 PM, Lorne Malvo said:

Shibata

............................. Fuck, am I out of the loop and need to catch up.

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

El Hijo del Vikingo is defending the AAA Mega Title against Komander at Supercard of Honour

This reads to me as viking vs army guy. I approve, and hope the winner has to defend against a vampire or tax man. In fact, with "Mega Title" in there, the whole sentence reads as a child booking with a purple crayon. Very much my jam.