Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

I watched it either side of NXT, great show from start to finish. Not watched too much of Shibata before (was he on Forbidden Door last year?) but the match with Wheeler was incredible, wasn’t expecting the title change given the current heel run that the Blackpool Combat Club are on but it was a nice surprise 

The ladder match was great but definitely soured by the sickening injury to Dante Martin, that’s what the 3rd/4th big injury he and Darius have had since debuting in AEW? Just horrendous luck

Athena has gone up a level since winning the Women’s title and the match with Yukazaki was fun 

I love watching Tanahashi wrestle and he made Garcia look a million bucks in defeat, Mark Briscoe and Samoa Joe was a hard hitter and one of Joe’s best matches since leaving WWE and everything else including the Zero Hour matches were fun sprints

15 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I watched it either side of NXT, great show from start to finish. Not watched too much of Shibata before (was he on Forbidden Door last year?)

Turned up to save Orange Cassidy from a beatdown from United Empire if I remember right. Only match was actually against Orange Cassidy on a random Rampage months later.

• Paid Members

Just saw that Dante Martin spot. Amazing. The dude kicking him at one point reaches up to motion to the crowd that he's going to do a Move and actually touches the belts. But doesn't grab them. Then there's the guy under the ladder holding it still for them. Jesus christ.

• Paid Members

Another quality title defense from Athena this week. I liked them telling the story of Yamashita being the first opponent to chase her down  when she stalls on the outside. Good hard hitting scrap. I’ve only seen Yamashita in her handful of AEW appearances but I’m already a fan. No nonsense ass kicker who makes winning and losing feel important. Can see why she’s the top dog in her promotion. It felt like Athena was actually a bit concerned during it, seemed more stressed than she usually does in these defenses. Liked that. Excited to see who they put up next. 

Rest of the show was fine. Nice breezy viewing. Skipping and skimming some of the matches but enough good stuff in there.

Shibata is a joy to watch, his pure title defenses are definitely off my skip list. I love Takeshita so much that I didn’t skip the Tony Nese match. That German suplex. Goodness me. 

The Infantry are exceptionally dull. Please give RUSH better things to do. He still did his best to make this entertaining with his violence and shithousery. Don’t think this Preston Vance in LFI thing works at all honestly. 

Two jobbers both named Steven in a team named Even Stevens is magnificent. The Kingdom both wearing Satnam Singh’s jacket was amusing too. 

Quite enjoying this ROH so far. Nice easy watch and always at least a couple of fun highlights. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

Athena's doing some absolutely smashing work at the moment - not someone I'd previously thought would make a strong heel as I'd been so used to her being used as a sprightly babyface, but she's been great to watch and seems really stimulated by this run. 

• Paid Members

Yeah this whole turn started because of a brutal match with Jody Threat where she was clearly pissed at the crowd reaction and threw some live rounds. 

Whatever the political situation she is one of the best things in wrestling right now, must see TV for me. 

• Paid Members

Got chronic toothache and can’t sleep so thought I’d complete the set of shows for the week -

👍 Everything @JLM has already said! His analysis further up the thread is spot on.

👍 Athena/Yamashita - If you watch one match from the show, go straight to the main event because it’s a complete belter. To go with JLM’s earlier comments, another thing I really like about Athena is how vocal she is - constantly mouthing off, screaming, the full works, and it really radiates on screen in a way that I didn’t get from other performers in the show except from Mark Briscoe, and maybe Vincent with his…I want to call it jiving? Fuck knows. Good shit.

👍 All the wrestling! Sounds like a stupid thing to give a thumbs up to but rather give a thumbs up and a rundown of each match, may as well just say each match caught the eye and the in-ring presentation was pretty much flawless. Even the squashes had positives about them. Bell to bell, in terms of the technical side and action crammed in, a brilliant couple of hours of grappling tele.

👍 Production note - they seem to film a lot of the matches from quite low camera angles. I quite like this as it differentiates from how AEW matches are filmed. Over time, little things like this will further help ROH establish a separate identity from its new sibling.

👍 Both members of the Kingdom fitting into Satnam’s jacket 😂

👍 Garcia responding to the ‘we want tables!’ chants, going under the ring pretending to grab one, only to then flip off the crowd. Top tier shithousery.

👍 The Even Stevens’ name and attire! What a duo.

👎 As a counter-balance to what I said about the quality of the in-ring product, is there such thing as TOO much wrestling on a show? Maybe it’s just a smidge of burnout from me having watched a ridiculous amount this week, but there were only a couple of additional promos and bits of angle advancement here across the two hours. I do think a mix is important especially if a show is running for that length. I know a big selling point of ROH is the technical wrestling element and it always throws in copious amounts of it - I just wonder if they maybe remove a couple of matches here and there to tighten things up or - and I’m probably contradicting myself here - perhaps reduce the number of matches but make some of them longer?

👎 Can we get Penta to park using the Destroyer for a bit, please?

👎 That thing Dutch does with his tongue. Creepy AF. Good for his significant other, mind you!

Overall - Definitely an enjoyable romp and some excellent quality in terms of the in-ring product. Just give me a touch more angle advancement/silly bollocks to go with it. Still, lots of good stuff here. Watch the main event if you still haven’t seen it!

Edited by Fatty Facesitter
Copied from mobile so don’t might be all over the shop