Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

So, we're getting Mark Briscoe subbing for Eddie Kingston at Death Before Dishonor against Claudio for the title. As much as I'm a fan of Briscoe, and have loved the feel-good storyline surrounding him since the horrible crash with his brother, I'm not sure I want to see him as world champion.

• Paid Members
On 7/7/2023 at 11:22 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

How can you not get behind Big Willie Mack? He’s been entertaining everywhere he’s been from Impact to Lucha Underground to now AEW/ROH

Willie Mack is one of the most natural every-man type babyfaces that's come around in years. He should be on the main AEW shows getting a decent push for sure.

Death Before Dishonor is in a week. Only promoted the one match. Mark Briscoe v. Claudio for the World Title, and that has now been pulled. Mark Briscoe unable to compete.

The first month of Collision/ROH tapings and the Canadian tour (a lot of travel issues). I can understand why ROH has just been a case of getting a product out there. They really need to rethink what they're doing.

• Paid Members

ROH is basically Dark behind a paywall at this point. Might as well sack it off and move the top few people (Willie Mack, Athena) over to the main shows. Outside of a small handful of guys it has no distinct or obvious roster, it's mostly just random matches with random people each week. 

Death Before Dishonor is tonight. After some twists and turns they got a full card out.

World Title: Claudio Castagnoli (c) v. PAC
Women's World Title: Athena (c) v. Willow Nightingale
Tag Titles: Lucha Bros (c) v. Best Friends v. Aussie Open v. The Kingdom
TV Title: Samoa Joe (c) v. Dalton Castle
6-Man Titles: Mogul Embassy (c) v. Master Wato, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Leon Ruffin
Pure Title: Katsuyori Shibata (c) v. Daniel Garcia
Fight Without Honor: Dark Order v. The Righteous
Komander v. Gravity
Zero Hour: Josh Woods v. Tracy Williams
Zero Hour: AR Fox v. Shane Taylor
Zero Hour: Leyla Hirsch v. Trish Adora
Zero Hour: The Workhorsemen v. Action Andretti & Darius Martin

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members

For a card that I don't think I've seen promoted anywhere, that actually looks pretty good. Samoa Joe v Dalton Castle is intriguing! They done next to fuck all with Castle, even though he's great. Probably going to get murdered here. 

• Paid Members

It's a decent-looking card but the whole brand just feels so weird at the moment. It's never been more obvious that Khan hasn't got a clue what to do with it. The PPVs are basically extensions of AEW weekly TV while the weekly ROH TV show seems to exist as it's own thing where nothing ever happens. None of the ROH champions other than Joe and Athena ever appear on the ROH weekly show (I don't think Lucha Bros have teamed up once on it) which just leads to the whole thing feeling kind of pointless.

I can't see them doing it, but this is as perfect an opportunity Khan has ever had for the Womens title match to headline a PPV.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

World Title: Claudio Castagnoli (c) v. PAC

I'd fucking love to see that match, if its a patch on what they'd have achieved in 07-09. Back when ROH was compulsive viewing.

• Paid Members

If Claudio/PAC is anything like their '07 CHIKARA and PWG matches, then we are in for an excellent bit of wrestling. Back then, PAC was the pure-fire babyface and Claudio was the HEY! euro strongman, but a 2023 version with their angry, bitter, too-old-for-this-shit attitudes and 15 years of experience on top...woo, I'm getting all giddy just thinking about it!

I really struggle to watch ROH weekly now. I've dipped in on occasion but its always soulless. At least in a studio setting people were there to see ROH. I know we're unlikely to see that again as it stretches production too much. I can only hope they've learned from the first month or so of Collision tapings.

Maybe promote a few matches before tapings so that people going live know what to expect.

I watched this week as much for PPV prep but because of the debut of Utami Hayashishita. She got the jobber introduction already in the ring with no entrance. If you have someone that's meant to be this big star, maybe present them as such! Show, don't tell. They know the value of a decent entrance as just before they had Shibata make a post-match appearance.

They've been hampered in the build to the PPV. Eddie Kingston and then Mark Briscoe changing the World Title plans. There would have been a bit more build to Athena/Willow as well if Willow hadn't been hurt after her appearance in Japan. As we all unfortunately know Lucha Bros weren't a long-term plan to be the Tag champions. So when they ended up filling in and Saturday tapings started they have been double booked on occasion with their Lucha/Indie commitments. 

I can see some title changes that sees more ROH regulars winning belts. I can only imagine Aussie Open make their return here to win the titles. Both Claudio and Athena can probably be more use on AEW TV without the constraints of being an ROH champion.