Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

“Dalton Castle loses his mojo,” is a storyline that absolutely belongs on one of the proper shows. I’m going to be extra annoyed if that remains behind a paywall, but The House of Black continue stinking up every episode of Collision with their spooky bollocks.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

For fuck’s sake, Dalton. There’s already way too much wrestling to watch each week! Don’t make have to start watching ROH on Thursdays too!

That's hilarious. I refuse to search out ROH for it though. Poor Dalton with his coffee looking like someone after making it through another AEW Live Aid length PPV.

• Paid Members

Ha was just saying he should be utilised more, but ideally in a role that isn’t too physically demanding with his limitations, this could not be more perfect. Absolutely agreed that it should be on one of the main shows, though. I am already two episodes of AEW TV behind and I try to at least watch the Athena bits from ROH TV. WWE I’ve had to strip back to podcast reviews when walking the dog and watching the PPVs and recommended segments. Now I have to make sure I dig out all of Dalton Castle’s segments as well? Chill out please, pro wrestling. 

Edited by JLM

We should have a Dalton Castle thread!

I've not seen him before this ROH run and only now seen bits, but I'm fascinated by the whole gimmick.  The Boys, the costumes, his lounge lizard personality, that voice.  And also a great entrance theme that I'm amazed has been passed by the copyright lawyers.

People have mentioned a few times that he's banged up, he's been around for a while, and I read on Wikipedia that he was a pretty serious amateur wrestler when younger as well.  How bad are his injuries?

Has WWE ever looked at him?  The gimmick seems perfect for a much larger stage than he's had till now.

24 minutes ago, Loki said:

Has WWE ever looked at him?  The gimmick seems perfect for a much larger stage than he's had till now.

He had a tryout around a decade ago - he spoke about it in the AEW Unrestricted podcast if you want to hear his words on that, but it didn’t go well. He said that he was chewed out by several legends who he looked up to, and the only person who had something nice to say was Dusty Rhodes. I had a Google, and according to Wrestlinginc, he was offered a contract in 2021 but opted to remain with ROH.

• Paid Members

He wrestled for two years not knowing he had two fractures and one break in his back. He’d been doing stretches and yoga and thought it was wear and tear until they started directly impinging on the nerve and he could barely stand. Classic wrestler fighting through the injury bullheadedness. He knew he was going to be ROH world champ and thought he could ice pack and stretch his way through it. 

He’s had surgeries which were reportedly very successful and he considers himself healed/recovered, as far as you can be with back surgeries. He also  wears that fairly sturdy brace thing for extra support.

Compared to his initial run you can see he’s slowed down a lot and isn’t as explosive as he used to be. Even now though you can see what a beast of an athlete he is by how effortlessly he can hoist and chuck his opponents around.  But yeah, it seems he can do this toned down style without causing himself pain or risking re-aggravating it. Obviously you’d want anyone in his position to at the very least tone it down or ideally not do it any more, but for him even moreso; he is so damn entertaining he could get by doing next to nothing in the ring if he wanted to. 

• Paid Members
On 12/19/2023 at 2:24 AM, JLM said:

By far the highlight of Zero Hour though, was Daniel Garcia vs Blake Christian. Would actually recommend going back to watch this one, and I say that as someone who usually struggles to watch Blake Christian matches because his look turns me off so much. 

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but ever since I noticed his resemblance to Frank Costanza it has really took me out of his matches.

image.thumb.png.0f3c070e03a2dbe2f55a6bb728ed1941.png

"You want a piece of me?!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

ROH 21/12

Come back to ROH so I can keep checking in with Athena and follow this Dalton Castle story after the loss at final Battle. Some of these episodes are unreasonably loooong and there is some real filler on these cards, so there will be much skimming. 

Skipped matches: Von Erichs vs Workhorsemen is a hard pass for me. I've seen all I need to see from Ross Von Erich. 
Dante Martin vs Lee Johnson, Rachel Ellering vs whichever Renegade, Andretti/Martin vs Infantry vs Outrunners. 

Great opening promo from Athena. So much swagger and confidence about her. Athena vs Maya World was classic Athena vs Jobber, which for me is a guaranteed 7 star match. Maya got to shine a fair amount, we got some Athena violence and, naturally, she pretended to be nice to the jobber after the match before beating her down some more. It's a formula for sure but I'm yet to grow tired of it because she does it so well. 

ROH women's TV title announced. All the ROH belts look the same. 

Absolutely superb promo from Ethan Page. Talking about how he's always bragged about being great and how he'd do great things, but now he believes it himself. Great intensity, elevated by him still having blood on his face from the I Quit match with Nese. 

Gates of Agony vs Willie Mack/Blake Christian was a good'un. The GOA spot where they throw a dude into the ropes, Kaun starts doing the International with the opponent while Toa runs parallel to hit them with a pounce is absolutely beautiful. Toa launched Willie Mack's soul out of his body with the pounce too. 

Righteous/Lance Archer vs Iron Savages was alllllmost a skip but I kinda wanted to see if Dutch could hit the Bossman slam on Boulder. He did, and I was pleased. 

Taya Valkyrie and Johnny TV have a great looking entrance with the matching fur coats. Fun promo from both of them later on too, they're very obnoxious together in a good way. Johnny TV called Dalton Castle a pigeon. The disrespect is unmeasurable. 

Brilliant promo from a devastated and slightly unhinged Dalton Castle. Johnny TV ruined his chances of having his face on a big truck full of little Dalton Castle action figures. :(

Dalton Castle, The Boys and The Gravity we wish could forget vs Serpentico/Angelico/Cole Karter/Griff Garrison. This was the Dalton Castle show. After that heartbreaking mojo-less entrance, he got increasingly fired up over the course of the match and had the crowd in the palm of his hand despite spending 99% of this on the apron. He got the win but he still can't sleep and cannot get John Television out of his head.  He says he's not on TV enough because Johnny TV is a piece of shit! 

Side note: Maria is managing Karter and Garrison, she's no longer managing The Kingdom, but she is also managing Leyla Hirsch and Rachel Ellering, but she doesn't want Ellering to succeed. OK then.

Vikingo/Komander vs Gringo Loco/Jack Cartwheel. Happily skipping my way through the episode but they had to throw in Jack Cartwheel and some luchadores. Fine, you got me. Bonkers spotfest as you'd expect. Grinco Loco, similar to Black Taurus, is an exceptional base for the luchadores and he massively elevates Vikingo by adding stability and consistency to the proceedings. I can't believe I'm still seeing new Cartwheel-based offense from Jack Cartwheel now that I've seen him half a dozen times. I thought it'd be a one match gimmick but he keeps surprising me. Everyone hit everything beautifully, there were double teams I'd never seen before and Riccabone and Caprice were going nuts throughout. Lovely. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

ROH 28/12

This episode was only an hour long, thankfully. Still went pretty skip-happy on it though. Too many matches that are just an instant "nope" on paper. 

Skipped: Nyla Rose vs jobber, Zak Knight vs Peter Avalon. Bryan Keith and the Von Erichs vs Iron Savages, Tony Nese vs jobber.  As much as I love Ian and Caprice, I would only be able to watch a run of matches like that with Taz and Excalibur corpsing it up on commentary. 

Liked the little series of interviews from the Women's TV title tournament entrants. Can't remember if I've ever heard Lady Frost speak before. I remember Rachel Ellering's run in NXT and, aside from being Paul Ellering's daughter, didn't think she had anything about her whatsoever. Can see she's done ROH, Stardom, Impact and then back to AEW/ROH in the meantime so maybe she's better now? We shall see. 

Another excellent Athena/Starkz/Lexi segment backstage. Billie Starkz trying her hand at an Athena-esque ultra-cocky interview with Athena coaching. Athena very obviously keeping Billie distracted and focused on her "new dream" of winning the TV title to keep her mind off a rematch for the world title. 

Loved this exchange: 

Billie: "I am WINNING this TV title"

Athena: "YES SHE IS! YUP! YUP!" 

BIllie: (Looking at Athen's belt) "I couldn't win this one.."

Athena: "That's right! She didn't!" 

Taya Valkyrie/Renegades vs Lady Frost/Kiera Hogan/Trish Adora. 
A few of our women's TV title candidates in this one so it just passed the skip test. This was fine, Lady Frost always does some fancy stuff. All three of the babyface team need some more promo time or some vignettes or something, though. They're in that "they're babyfaces because they smile more than the heels and are slightly less mean" slot, which isn't really enough, so they don't get much reaction. Taya Valkyrie is being presented like a big star, is winning and doesn't appear to be after the TV title, so wondering if she's being lined up for Athena soon. 

Rachel Ellering/Leyla Hirsch promo. They want competition, Mercedes Martinez and Diamante say they'll give them competition and call then both suckas. Mercedes and Diamanate sounded good, Rachel and Leyla didn't. I enjoy Lexi Nair's little awkward one liners at the end of promos. "I don't know what that was.." or in this case "You guys aren't suckas". I'm happy Diamante has a consistent role and gets to speak a bit more now she's teaming with Mercedes. Always thought she was underrated during the Dark/Elevation days. 

Billie Starkz vs Vert Vixen was a fine squash, designed to highlight how Billie is taking more cues from Athena. Laying in the forearms, talking a little trash, yelling at the referee. Even did the post-match jobber beatdown! I like this direction a lot, intrigued to see how it develops. 

Solid promo from Kyle Fletcher, answered by a better one from Willie Mack. "Kyle I heard you talking about stars being born. There's a new cluster of stars being formed next week, it's called the Kyle-Surprisiosis. It looks just like my foot, breaking off in yo' ass". Only Willie Mack's buttery smooth delivery could make that work. Definitely up for that match. 

Ethan Page vs Johnny TV was a fine TV match. I hope they find something good for Ethan Page after the Nese feud, he looks great, his promos are on fire and the people are behind him. Bit weird that ROH effectively no longer has a world title, so it's unclear what the main eventers are gunning for at the moment. As much as I'm high on Ethan Page at the moment, I mostly watched this to see if Dalton Castle would cost Johnny TV the match. He did, and I was pleased. 

Still a lot of dross on these ROH TV episodes I must say. Interested enough in the few things they have bubbling under to keep watching, albeit with a finger hovering over the skip button. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, JLM said:

Still a lot of dross on these ROH TV episodes I must say. Interested enough in the few things they have bubbling under to keep watching, albeit with a finger hovering over the skip button. 

Just got Honour club for the PPV so now catching up on the TV. Love your summaries though. 

But I had to comment about the skip button. Because as slick as the app looks, I’ve tried it on Apple TV and a fire stick and both seem to make it really hard to skip through the matches, or am I just doing something wrong with it?