Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone else still watching this? It's usually a solid but fairly dull few hours of wrestling but its fine to have on in the background while I'm doing my tea on a Friday night. This week's episode was the best in a while though. 

- A good Shibata title defence (although how many title matches have Best Friends lost since AEW started? Seems to happen alot)

- The Workhorsemen finally got their long-overdue win. West Coast Wrecking Crew looked fun too, they'd make a good addition to the tag roster.

- Wheeler Yuta continues to be a fantastically aggressive little shit. Lee Moriarty always has good matches but he's missing something to make him click with the audience and I'm not sure what it is. 

- Jack Cartwheel! I love when that guy pops up. Fun four-way match although, much like Moriarty, Lee Johnson needs to find something just to push him over the line. Just being good in the ring doesn't cut it anymore. Also, have NJPW done a good job with Fred Rosser? The commentary team made it sound like a big deal that he got pinned which was odd to me because in my eyes he's still Darren Young.

- Ronda Rousey showing up got a good reaction. I didn't see much of her panned 2nd WWE run, but she actually seemed engaged and energised here. I really enjoyed the match too, and I wouldnt be against Athena vs Rousey at Final Battle if that's the route they're going. 

More shows like this please!

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Also, have NJPW done a good job with Fred Rosser? The commentary team made it sound like a big deal that he got pinned which was odd to me because in my eyes he's still Darren Young.

They did when New Japan Strong initially began, was the top babyface and first ever Strong Champion, now that New Japan send over their big stars for the Strong shows though he’s just a mid card guy now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

They really need to stop filming ROH matches after Collision. People performing infront of rows of empty seats is a terrible look. When people have sat through your Danielsons and Kingstons, it's a lot to ask of them to stick around for the Renegades and Lee Johnson when they're thinking of hitting the bar or catching the last train.

I'm not sure what's wrong with just making this an hourly show filmed before Collision where the crowd would be hotter. Instead you've got this weird mix of pre and post show matches so the crowd looks fine for one match then wank for the next match. Sometimes you can have too much of something.

Anyway, this show has settled down to being fairly dull again after a strong few weeks, but there were some highlights worth checking out. Athena and Starkz had a tremendous brawl to start things off. I think Khan might be tempted to have Stark upset Athena at Final Battle but I think he should hold off. As good as Starkz is in-ring, she still doesnt have the character work down and has that thing of grinning through everything so it's hard to take it seriously.

There's never been a feud less deserving of an I Quit match than Tony Nese vs Ethan Page, and Tony Khan hosting contract signings can get in the bin because he's absolutely terrible on camera, but I really enjoyed their segment. It's a testament to how good Page is that he's got me invested in a Tony Nese match.

They could do a lot worse than having Kyle Fletcher winning the TV title and building the next 4-6 months of TV around him. 

Biggest news coming out of this show is that it's going to be BCC vs FTR & Mark Briscoe at the PPV. Banger!

• Paid Members

Another bang average ROH show this week but there were a few highlights:

- Wheeler Yuta continuing to be a delightful little shit. Playing with his opponent and forcing him into using all his rope breaks then as soon as he starts to fight back, the vicious Wheeler comes out and he ends it quickly using the ropes to his advantage.

- A fun Dalton Castle & the boys vs Iron Savages match. I always feel like they could be doing more with Dalton but I do wonder if the gimmick limits him?

- Gravity completely missing Brian Cage on a moonsault and nearly killing himself, the useless shite.

Is the Athena nose-break legit? It looked like it. If so, what a time for an accident like that to happen! On the final go-home brawl making Billie Starkz look like shes finally ready to fuck Athena up.

Final Battle is quietly shaping up to have a really nice lineup.