Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Wow all of the bits I gave a shit about in the last episode are up on the ROH Youtube. That would have saved some time. Guess I'm only in it for the Dalton and Athena matches now. 

This was the great Athena bit from last episode too:

• Paid Members

Cheese slices on the wall, A CHASE SEQUENCE! How do these keep getting better? Lexy is smashing it in these as well. 

Put the man on television for fuck's sake. 

Speaking of which, John Television, give the man his match you piece of shit. Or maybe keep running actually, I don't want this to be over. 

I still skimmed through the rest of the show, for my sins. 

Skipped: Nyla Rose vs jobber, Kingdom vs Iron Savages, Mark Brisce vs Serpentico, Diamante vs jobber, Kyle Fletcher vs Christopher Daniels. 

Funny promo to start with Billie Starkz raging about the Nyla Rose attack on Athena. Lexy spends a lo of her time trying to talk people down when they're in a furious rage. She's very enteraining in the role. Billie wants to kill Nyla Rose, Lexy is not keen on this idea. "Billie I know we always say the baddest one swings first, but I think in this instance the stupid idiot swings first so we have to do, like, the opposite of that". 

Lexy interviewed Robyn Renegade/Taya Valkyrie/Rachel Ellering/Leyla Hirsch who are teaming together later. Robyn Renegade, who is tall, says to Leyla Hirsch, who is very short, "You can't even walk under a door". I think she was maybe meant to say Leyla Hirsch CAN walk under a door? Because she's so short? Or can Robyn Renegade walk under doors somehow and is appalled that other people can't?

Lady Frost/Billie Starkz/Kiera Hogan/Queen Aminata vs Taya Valkyrie/Robyn Renegade/Rachel Ellering/Leyla Hirsch. The heels had the heat on Kiera Hogan for waaaaaay too long in this match but it was fun after she got the tag. Lady Frost at one point did a cartwheel, grabbing the opponent's legs mid way through it and flipping them into an air raid crash. Awesome looking move, Jack Cartwheel would be proud. Lady Frost does something impressive every time but, once again, she (along with Aminata and Hogan) has zero character or story going on. Billie Starkz was in it for about 30 seconds to get the win and the glory. She high fived Kiera and Aminata but Lady Frost left her hanging. Is Lady Frost meant to be a heel then? I have no idea. Abadon returned to ROH after the match. I'm all for that, this division needs more colourful characters. 

Bryan Keith vs Claudio was a fun scrap, though the height difference was very jarring. Also Bryan Keith came out to horrible generic entrance music. Guess we're not paying for Still Tippin' for Honor Club matches. Makes sense. Claudio probably thinks Bryan Keith can walk under doors. But yeah this was a good'un. Very hard hitting and intense, got the crowd into it much more than these ROH matches usually do. I also liked Claudio using a sleeper to get it done, feels very BCC to switch up and use different means to win when necessary.

Top Flight vs Butcher and Blade was fine. 

Lexy interviewed Nyla Rose and slipped from interviewer mode into Athena-minion mode. Nyla all over the place in this one, felt like she was making up for missed promo time. Even dropped a Cartman "respect my authoritaaah" in 2024. She declares herself new minion overlord and the next women's champion. Starkz vs Nyla Rose when it happens should be  good I think. 

Lexy interviews Ethan Page. Ethan says he's winning the TV title off Kyle Fletcher. It could be a good feud but was hoping Page/Men of the Year would be aiming a fair bit higher than that. He specifically says he respects Kyle Fletcher flying solo for all of his TV title defenses despite being part of the Callis family, and that he wlll be doing the same as he works his way up to the title shot. So what of Scorpio Sky now? Weird. I guess with the ROH title tied up in the continental crown, the TV title *IS* the main title on this show now? I dunno. 

Action Andretti vs Vikingo was a decent match. They work well together but I still find Action Andretti fundamentally unlikeable. Also he stopped mid-match to grab a water bottle and do that speed-chugging thing he's been doing. It would be, at best, a mildly diverting Youtube Short or Tiktok video for 5 seconds, but it is apparently his character trait now. Vikingo looked good, I also liked that the finishing sequence was the same as the opening sequence but Vikingo got the better of it the second time after the match had taken its toll. 

The card wasn't as dire as the past couple of weeks but still very little to write home about. Dalton is carrying the show, Lexy Nair is great, they should do more with Ethan Page, Athena will be sorely missed during her absence, the women's TV title picture could be someting if any of them got a chance to do some character work and they established some rivalries, some heel/face divides. Yknow, pro wrestling stuff. 

Edited by JLM

I don't watch ROH so what's Lexi doing in a lot of these. She's really interactive with the wrestlers more than even Renee, is she sort of like the host of the show who just throws herself into it a bit as our narrator, or am I totally overthinking it like it's a Red Dwarf plot hole?

• Paid Members

Yeah so in ROH she is an interviewer but also an onscreen character involved in angles and such.  She’s one of Athena’s minions and is in her faction along with Billie Starkz. So she gets to do both and go further with her wrestler interactions than interviewers usually do. She’s meant to be trying her best (and often failing) to keep her interviewer hat on when she’s doing those, and keeps getting dragged into dramas. Like she interviewed Nyla Rose this week following her brutal attack on Athena. She starts to ask the question of why she did it like an interview, but then  immediately breaks and just confronts her with “why?!?!?” 

She’s one of the best bits of ROH for me week to week. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

You owe it to yourself to watch this clip all the way to the end. I’ll say no more. Phenomenal.

These lads are gonna end up having my feud of the year on a show I don’t even watch. These clips are so great, they absolutely deserve a spot on the Revolution pay per view.

• Paid Members

It’s just wonderful stuff, I’ve watched it multiple times and it made me laugh out loud more than once. Dalton is a different class of entertainer and we’ve already had the Lexy Nair love-in in this thread, but both John Television and Mrs. TV have been brilliant in this feud too. By far the most I’ve ever enjoyed either of their work. 

Edited by JLM

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

You owe it to yourself to watch this clip all the way to the end. I’ll say no more. Phenomenal.

These lads are gonna end up having my feud of the year on a show I don’t even watch. These clips are so great, they absolutely deserve a spot on the Revolution pay per view.

This stuff is approaching the Paparazzi Productions level, where it's not only good, it's far better than the rest of the show it's used as filler on.

• Paid Members

Yeah whenever I’ve seen Nyla interviewed or doing other YouTube bits she’s bee charismatic and funny, nice to see her getting a chance to let her brand of chaotic madness out on screen. 

• Paid Members

Oooh lordy, 2 hours and 15 minutes of pure CONTENT this week. 
Skipped: Nyla Rose vs Jobber, Aaron Solo vs Zak Knight, Serpentico/Angelico vs Griff Garrison/Kole Carter, Iron Savages vs The Infantry and Lee Johnson, Red Velvet vs Jobber, Ethan Page vs Jobber, Jack Carthweel vs John Cruz (though I did see Cartwheel hit a spectacular finish from the top), Action Andretti vs Anthony henry, Kingdom vs Gravity and Gringo Logo. 

Righteous vs Jobbers was fine. Please put The Righteous on the real shows more often so I don't have to watch ROH jobber matches to get my Dutch fix. 

Willie Mack and Blake Christian vs The Outrunners was also fine. Why this got 5 minutes and Aaron Solo vs Zak Knight got 10 I do not understand. 

Leile Grey/Taya Valkyrie/Diamante vs Lady Frost/Trish Adora/Kiera Hogan - Holy shit, Leila Grey outta nowhere. According to Cagematch she's been working in OVW. She didn't do anything in this match. Match was a lot of fun though. Best thing on the show up to this point for me. Diamante was a real dickhead in this match, Taya is a good heel and has star power and presence about her despite not being spectacular in-ring. Connection with the audience still so weak on the babyface side though. Trish Adora had some decent fire and tried her best to get the crowd into it. I love the spot where she'll drop to her knees to avoid a kick or swing from her opponent and then hit a big bridging german suplex from the kneeling position. Very cool. Lady Frost has no connection with the audience but always does something fancy; I'll just paste that in every episode. This time it was a big old moonsault from the top to the floor. Like Charlotte Flair's except she hit it perfectly and connected with both opponents. There are very capable wrestlers in these ROH women's midcard matches but pleeeeeeease let us get to know who they are. 

Leyla Hirsch and Rachel Ellering interview. They're working well together as a team and are working on being pals outside of it, but they both want to win the women's TV title so that's a bit awkward. This wasn't particularly good but it was SOMETHING. They talked, there was a bit of conflict, we learned a bit about them. Can't Kiera Hogan or Lady Frost or Trish Adora get a 1 minute Lexy interview? 

RED VELVET LORE UPDATE: I saw her walking up the ramp after beating the jobber. She said "Mark it down baby 2024 is my year, we're getting cooked 'cos the chef always delivers". It hasn't helped clear this up at all. "We're getting cooked" is definitely something a cake would say, or at least a bowl of cake mix. However, she did refer to herself as "the chef". The chef does not typically deliver in a restaurant scenario. It's usually the waiting staff, or, in the modern age, an Ubereats or Deliveroo driver. Kiera Hogan and Lady Frost don't have characters at all, but Red Velvet's is fascinating. 

Billie Starkz vs Tootie Lynn. Enjoying this direction with Billie becoming more and more Athena-esque. This time she got annoyed by the crowd cheering for Tootie Lynn and started getting more violent and making fun of her. Also hit her with the post-match air-handshake.

Abadon vs Robyn Renegade was short and sweet. Abadon makes for a good plucky underdog. I thought they were sympathetic during the Julia Hart feud and I think it's a good direction for the character. They played off that here with Robyn being so much taller and immediately starting with a disrespectful/bullying tone. Having a clear heel/face divide helps so much when this show is just throwing out back to back 5-10 minute matches with no other stakes. 

JD Drake vs Josh Woods vs Slim J vs Rocky Romero 
Random match generator you crazy for this one. Too eclectic and weird to skip. This was 8 farly nutty minutes. I was entertained. JD Drake was the star of it for me. Slapping the hell out of Josh Woods in the hoss-off at the beginning, bumping all over the place and keeping up during the sprinty bits with the small guys and landing his big picture perfect moonsault towards the end. I've said this since the start of these ROH shows; if you're just throwing guys out there to do filler matches, please make more of them mental like this one. 

So basically the Dalton Castle bit was the ROH (and pro wrestling) highlight of the week, the Nyla promo/cameraman assault was good. The rest was just a bunch of stuff. This women's TV title tournament can't come soon enough. I don't care about the belt, but matches with some stakes and hopefully some promos to go with them would be so, so welcome on this show. Plenty of talent on this roster and on these cards week to week, but only a tiny handful of them have any sort of angle or direction. Also there is no way this show should ever be longer than two hours.